Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
May 4, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #2,971 of 4,655
  I didn't plug the o2amp into the STX. But when I tried HD800 in STX vs Objective combo I didn't really notice a difference. Call me deaf or whatever, but that's my perception. I'm still keeping my Objective though. I've sold my STX. So what I can compare soon is onboard vs Objective.

You could have saved me a bit of money. I have also read there is not noticeable difference between the JDS O2 and the more expensive ifi ican...

May 4, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #2,972 of 4,655
I really like the concept of this thread but ugh I have to wade through the absurd amount of off-topic talk just to get to the stories :frowning2:

Back to topic:

I had my little sister try out the HP50, and at first she didn't like because it didn't have a lot of bass compared to her random $10 headphones. Hypothetical tears were shed. However, after prodding her to keep listening, she finally noticed how despite the seemingly weaker bass quantity, the voices don't sound like they were covered with pillows. She mainly listens to top 40 pop music though but that's another story.

May 4, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #2,973 of 4,655
I really like the concept of this thread but ugh I have to wade through the absurd amount of off-topic talk just to get to the stories :frowning2:

Back to topic:

I had my little sister try out the HP50, and at first she didn't like because it didn't have a lot of bass compared to her random $10 headphones. Hypothetical tears were shed. However, after prodding her to keep listening, she finally noticed how despite the seemingly weaker bass quantity, the voices don't sound like they were covered with pillows. She mainly listens to top 40 pop music though but that's another story.

Idk about you but I wish some of those top 40 singers did have a pillow over their mouth.

May 4, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #2,974 of 4,655

I really like the concept of this thread but ugh I have to wade through the absurd amount of off-topic talk just to get to the stories
frown.gif

Back to topic:

Idk about you but I wish some of those top 40 singers did have a pillow over their mouth.

LOL Yes. 

May 4, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,975 of 4,655
Tell me about it. Auto tune is way overused.
Experience I have often- I listen to this particular song and very deep in the mix is this knocking sound that is placed just right, and has just the right sound that I think someone is knocking at my doors very time. It still fools me when I'm not paying attention XP

May 4, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #2,976 of 4,655
I still want to try a HIfi High End DAC/DAP, because i´m pretty skeptic about them.

Now, OT :

(P.D, my rig isn´t amazing but good enough I guess to make people notice the difference)

Yesterday my uncle asked me about my "cellphone", and wanted to see it (It´s a Cowon D3) and I explained him what it was, and how it worked. So after that, I asked him to listen a song through it with my Brainwavz M3. I asked him before if he liked a bass heavy sound or something, to know how much Bass Boost should I use, and he answered that he prefered treble, so I reduced the Mach 3 Bass. He listened silently, and I saw him tapping the rhytm with his foot, and after 30 seconds aprox, he said "Damn, this sounds so good", after he finished listening the song he commmented about how good the separation of the instruments was, and the soundstage (With his own words) and also how cool it sounded a panned siren effect. I told him about the price and he didn´t looked surprised at all, so, was a nice experience :D

I used this song :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COL0_kUX6Gg

May 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #2,977 of 4,655

Back to topic:

I don't know, I quite enjoy the random off-topic parts of this thread. Keeps it fresh sometimes. Besides, with threads this big and diverse, it's bound to happen.

On the point of top 40 pop music, ewwwwwww. LOL. Pop isn't what it used to be.

May 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #2,979 of 4,655
I don't know, I quite enjoy the random off-topic parts of this thread. Keeps it fresh sometimes. Besides, with threads this big and diverse, it's bound to happen.

True that. Now, there are a lot more amateurs getting into the party thanks to Auto-Tune. The world will never be the same again. Who knows, in the future everyone would be using vocoders like Daft Punk?

May 4, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2,980 of 4,655
True that. Now, there are a lot more amateurs getting into the party thanks to Auto-Tune. The world will never be the same again. Who knows, in the future everyone would be using vocoders like Daft Punk?

I study singing (both jazz and classical) at a conservatory, and when I hear some of the music being put on Billboard these days... I just think to myself, dam I don't need any of this training.  I should just get a crummy computer synth program and wail to karaoke drum beats.  Maybe that's a little harsh, but like Katy Perry for example.  The Girl can't actually sing pitches.  Oh well...

May 4, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,981 of 4,655

The only reason why we remember music "back then" as better than it is now is because we don't remember the tons of trash that came along with the good stuff, heck, most people who claim this weren't even alive when this stuff was happening, so of course they don't remember the crappy stuff. The quality of music hasn't changed.

May 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #2,982 of 4,655
The only reason why we remember music "back then" as better than it is now is because we don't remember the tons of trash that came along with the good stuff, heck, most people who claim this weren't even alive when this stuff was happening, so of course they don't remember the crappy stuff. The quality of music hasn't changed.

I'd argue that isn't necessarily true.  With the advent of garage band and autotune things that weren't considered music once, have now become acceptable (look at the rise of dubstep and such.  That music wasn't possible) and have lowered live performance standards.  Now DJ's give live performances.  And there's nothing wrong with that in my opinion, but it does mean that, if a "live" performance can be one guy at a mixing board, then a singer or band isn't held to as high a standard anymore.  Plus, the advent of internet and faster means for communication, the silly stuff that people used to just goof off to in their room can be shared without ever being seen live.  And people like it.
Like I said, there's nothing wrong with all of this,  it just means that the traditional standards of skill and live performance are no longer as high, or rather, they are different.  Not denying that there was crap "back then" too, but of course, it wasn't easily accessible by ever person on the web.

May 5, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #2,984 of 4,655
  I've popped Skrillex on my HD800s.
I've also played some midi files.

Queue the audiophile death threats, lol.

hahah, well I play music off spotify and iTunes on a semi-regular basis.  oops.  Can't get everything on FLAC or CD.  (I heard some drum and bass on a Living Voice Olympia Vox.  Still sounded amazing.  And I heard a Duffy Song on a pair of Wilson XLFs.  I don't think Duffy has ever sung that well in real life.  XD)

We listen to what we like, first and foremost!

May 5, 2014 at 1:21 AM Post #2,985 of 4,655
  hahah, well I play music off spotify and iTunes on a semi-regular basis.  oops.  Can't get everything on FLAC or CD.  (I heard some drum and bass on a Living Voice Olympia Vox.  Still sounded amazing.  And I heard a Duffy Song on a pair of Wilson XLFs.  I don't think Duffy has ever sung that well in real life.  XD)

We listen to what we like, first and foremost!

It's super annoying how artists don't sell music in FLAC. 
And what's up with the whole record label/publishing thing. Wish all artists just sold music directly or like Bandcamp.

I asked for FLAC once and the only reply I got was "Lol audiophile *** snob detected lololol" FLAC's not going to make as big difference but on Youtube some songs are really quite compressed, worse than a mint mp3 file, especially with older videos. And then there are the audio people artists hire to make the tracks nice and master them, and then when I get the final product, I can hear clipping. 
rolleyes.gif
 All the FLAC in the world can't fix the crap the mastering engineers didn't do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back