Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II
Apr 21, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #2,747 of 4,655
Pretty much
rolleyes.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:36 AM Post #2,748 of 4,655
LOL, yep, your right. It was a joke, though I in no way meant it to be a criticism of censorship on this site. I've had no problem with this site in  that regard.

I'm standing up right now. :D

Haha, I'm not the actual "real slim shady". Kinda glad too, Slim's a sociopath lol. Just listen to Kim.
MJ = Michael Jackson. My favourite artist.... Ever,

On Topic: I was at my cousins today and a conversation strung up because he bought a CD (Tupac something or another -- it's basically trash) when he already had the songs on his desktop. They were Youtube rips (I did the same with Ok Computer, since I had it in 320 MP3). So my brother decided to get on his case and say he wasted money. I hear this, and being as awesome as I am, I come to inject some reason and logic into this convo. I explain that CD's have much better sound quality than what he already has on his PC. Nope. My brother doesn't want to believe it. Then, he turns it against me. I had a convo with him a few days ago about buying headphones (he started it) where I basically said "having different headphones for different genres would be nice and something I'm going to do". He brings that up. All of the sudden, I'm the moron. They turned on me so fast it's unbelievable. It went on for a while, until I finally just gave up and said "just try it and see (holding JVC HA FRD80). They didn't. 
In the end, non audiophiles sometimes react with hostility (I guess is the right word)

Sorry for rambling,
unless its lossless audio from cd's...

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #2,749 of 4,655

In the end, non audiophiles sometimes react with hostility (I guess is the right word)

I can attest to that, I got in at least 2 rather hostile arguments before with a group of my non-audiophile friends about audio. Nothing physical, but it was clear nobody was going to change their mind by the end.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #2,750 of 4,655
Only time I come across a bad Mp3 is when the ripper done a bad job with encoding the mp3 where he encoded it to a low bit rate then upsample's it, Or when he grabbed it from youtube using that youtube audio ripper, as youtube audio it self tend to be on the bad side.  Usually when I rip the CD my self to mp3 I hardly notice the difference but I do it for faster access then swapping CD's in as well Space reason's Otherwise I'd use .Flac. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #2,751 of 4,655
Anywhoo, I showed a mate of mine my Signature DJ, his reaction "Its clear, but not enough bass, you need to get Skull Crushers..."

XDDD

I showed a friend who had those and he said mine blew them and thier bass away..... I did have the eq on my e11 set to 2 for better odds though haha.

I always feel dissapointed when people say that it needs more bass.... Noone cares about the quality of bass anymore, i swear

Apr 21, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #2,752 of 4,655
  Tupac Shakur is his actual name, 2-Pac is a stage name. Did you just say Tupac is trash? .....!

Anywhoo, I showed a mate of mine my Signature DJ, his reaction "Its clear, but not enough bass, you need to get Skull Crushers..."

I don't enjoy Tupac's music as much as I used too. His voice and flow became very grating to me. His lyrical content isn't something I care about either. Then again, I've moved away from the genre almost completely (too much garbage), save for few artists.
Radiohead baby, that's where it's at  lol. 
beyersmile.png

It was also one of those cash grab albums released after his death, full of crappy remixes and "new songs". 
ph34r.gif

Yeah, I figured that most non-audiophile (or general public, since I could be included by saying "non-audiophile" as I don't consider myself an audiophile.... yet) tend to judge sound almost entirely on the amount of bass. I'm guessing manufacturers have picked up on this as well as a lot of headphones these days have dark sigs. You really need to have the bass in order to really impress them. A clear sound is great, but a nice, clean but powerful bass with it is even better when show casing headphones.
Disclaimer: the above is based solely on my experience and observations.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #2,753 of 4,655
So... recently found an incredible deal for Sennheiser PX-100ii. Always heard that those things sound amazing for the price... so I just couldn't resist when I saw them for $40. Honestly... easily the best sound I've heard for that price. I was very impressed with how full they sounded considering how small and 'flimsy' they looked. They certainly maintain the Sennheiser HD 5xx + HD 6xx series sound signature... laid back, warm, smooth but very open and amazing soundstage. Serious bang for the buck.

On to the real bit...

Was over @ my parents place to have dinner with them for Easter. Was listening to the phones when doing some work. My dad comments on how they look a bit 'feminine' (cause they're the white ones... it was the only ones available). I tell him that the sound is incredible... and encourage him to try. I knew that he would not be disappointed... he's a bit of a speaker kinda guy and really it's sorta his fault that I grew up learning to appreciate good sound. He was certainly impressed which led another family friend who was over to try it, they were both amazed at how full the sound was from something so small... particularly the lack of obvious distortion in the bass. My dad's friend was so impressed he was immediately convinced to look up the same deal to get them
biggrin.gif
. To top it off... my mother then strolled over and tried them too. She loved them so much, I just decided to gift them to her as an early Mother's Day gift... 2 birds with one stone... in more ways than one
wink.gif

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #2,754 of 4,655
You really need to have the bass in order to really impress them. A clear sound is great, but a nice, clean but powerful bass with it is even better when show casing headphones.  

That is what is so bewildering, the bass on the DJ's is powerful and well articulated. But because they were not shaking on his head he didn't like it. To each their own I guess.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM Post #2,755 of 4,655
Most of my friends say they can't hear the difference between my t1's going into my schiit valhalla/bitfrost uber and their apple earbuds. I have however gotten a few of them to pick up some decent ~200$ headphones from listening to my setup. One friend in particular though who only uses apple earbuds insists that beats I used to own 3 years ago sound the same as my current setup though. Can't wait for him to come over again now that i have the lyr/ th900's for him to try. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #2,756 of 4,655
  That is what is so bewildering, the bass on the DJ's is powerful and well articulated. But because they were not shaking on his head he didn't like it. To each their own I guess.

It's because powerful bass is visceral. It's something you can actually feel, not just hear. Even if you don't like the sound of it, for example, you can't deny the incredible feeling of bass in a car that makes your hair lift away from your head. It's one thing to say "wow I could really hear the separation between the violas and the violins," it's another to say "I was listening to Gucci and my teeth rattled." The latter is just plain more fun, and for people who listen to music as a head-bobbing experience, that's what they want.

I think it's BS to look down on people who don't listen to music like we do. Not everyone wants to treat their music clinically, they want to jam to it and sing along. That's it. I've seen reviews of headphones where people rave about things like "I can hear the saliva on the singer's lips" or "I could hear the sound of the guitar strings colliding with the frets". That's awesome and all, but you gotta realize how completely unimportant any of that is to the vast majority of people.

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #2,757 of 4,655
  So... recently found an incredible deal for Sennheiser PX-100ii. Always heard that those things sound amazing for the price... so I just couldn't resist when I saw them for $40. Honestly... easily the best sound I've heard for that price. I was very impressed with how full they sounded considering how small and 'flimsy' they looked. They certainly maintain the Sennheiser HD 5xx + HD 6xx series sound signature... laid back, warm, smooth but very open and amazing soundstage. Serious bang for the buck.

On to the real bit...

Was over @ my parents place to have dinner with them for Easter. Was listening to the phones when doing some work. My dad comments on how they look a bit 'feminine' (cause they're the white ones... it was the only ones available). I tell him that the sound is incredible... and encourage him to try. I knew that he would not be disappointed... he's a bit of a speaker kinda guy and really it's sorta his fault that I grew up learning to appreciate good sound. He was certainly impressed which led another family friend who was over to try it, they were both amazed at how full the sound was from something so small... particularly the lack of obvious distortion in the bass. My dad's friend was so impressed he was immediately convinced to look up the same deal to get them
biggrin.gif
. To top it off... my mother then strolled over and tried them too. She loved them so much, I just decided to gift them to her as an early Mother's Day gift... 2 birds with one stone... in more ways than one
wink.gif

Sorry to be a party pooper, but sometimes I think that I must have dud pair of PX100II's. When I ab them with the similarly priced AKG K403's and when I switch to the 403's, it is like a serious veil has been lifted across the FR spectrum. The bass becomes clear and tight, no more bass bleed into the mids, the mids become forward, lush yet detailed, and the highs are sparkly and extended.

I read lots of very positive reviews about the PX100II's though, so it must be my pair (or my ears).

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to check out the K403's, please do. Only $30, and pretty darned great imo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K403-Closed-Back-Mini-Headphone-Black-/371041680325?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5663cebbc5

Apr 21, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,758 of 4,655
I thought when posting that, that you would come and make a comment about bass impact. No disrespect intended.

I never once implied I'm looking down on someone for the way they listen to music at all. Funnily enough, the Signature DJ is a headphone where you CAN feel the bass impact and rumble... I was surprised at the time that feeling the bass was not enough but a full on rattling experience was what was desired. The DJ is a better headphone all round in SQ and can rumble nearly as hard as someone desires if EQ is your thing. Next time I see him I'll be sure to try and eq up the bass by 10db or similar.

I guess my rolled eyes above is a silly post, at the time I was surprised considering the heft of the DJ already.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #2,759 of 4,655
Sorry to be a party pooper, but sometimes I think that I must have dud pair of PX100II's. When I ab them with the similarly priced AKG K403's and when I switch to the 403's, it is like a serious veil has been lifted across the FR spectrum. The bass becomes clear and tight, no more bass bleed into the mids, the mids become forward, lush yet detailed, and the highs are sparkly and extended.

I read lots of very positive reviews about the PX100II's though, so it must be my pair (or my ears).

Anyway, if you ever get a chance to check out the K403's, please do. Only $30, and pretty darned great imo:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K403-Closed-Back-Mini-Headphone-Black-/371041680325?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item5663cebbc5
yeah. I can second that. I have k240's, and I tried HD 558's... The k240's worked better for more genres most definitely. Not exactly better or worse sounding. Just different genres... And since k240's felt a lot sturdier for cheaper... Guess which ones a better deal imo? I don't think sennheiser really deserves all the hype they receive. Some of their products are pretty good, but I've found there is always a better can at the price they put them at.

Apr 22, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #2,760 of 4,655

On to the real bit...

Was over @ my parents place to have dinner with them for Easter. Was listening to the phones when doing some work. My dad comments on how they look a bit 'feminine' (cause they're the white ones... it was the only ones available). I tell him that the sound is incredible... and encourage him to try. I knew that he would not be disappointed... he's a bit of a speaker kinda guy and really it's sorta his fault that I grew up learning to appreciate good sound. He was certainly impressed which led another family friend who was over to try it, they were both amazed at how full the sound was from something so small... particularly the lack of obvious distortion in the bass. My dad's friend was so impressed he was immediately convinced to look up the same deal to get them :D . To top it off... my mother then strolled over and tried them too. She loved them so much, I just decided to gift them to her as an early Mother's Day gift... 2 birds with one stone... in more ways than one :wink: .

The 3+ yr old px100 I tried sounded pretty veiled and bassy. I liked my koss ksc-75 a little more but they'd likely be good complimentary budget headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back