"Nokia N8" and "feeding a (portable) DAC with USB on-the-go"
Feb 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #136 of 215

Quote:
" USB Cable Error Please Disconnect Cable"

The Audioengine D1 DAC is powered from the USB, so could that be the error?

Shame because it sounds superb with my Sony Vaio laptop

ah bollocks

Yes, the USB DAC device needs to be self powered.

Feb 22, 2012 at 5:43 AM Post #138 of 215
I'm on the look for a DAP that has at least 32Gb internal storage, (preferably more) or the option to use a mini SD-cards, is robust and small enough to be in my pocket all the time, has fm-radio, gets at the least ~12 hours of playtime without charge, has Spotify offline playlist capacity and either has great sound quality straight out the hp-out, or possibility to use line-out or external dac. Headphones I will mostly be using are Sony MDR-EX600 and possibly Koss Pro DJ100 or 200's once I'm able to get them. At work I would use cheaper iem's listening for casual radio etc. straight out the hp-out, so sound quality in that use isn't the biggest priority. The amp or dac would be bought later to best compliment the device I end up choosing, but would be something along the lines of Fiio E11 or comparable for just the amp, or Fiio E17 Alpen or Leckerton Audio uHA4 for the dac. Portability is an important factor even with the amp/dac. 

I'm pretty much decided on the N8, since there doesn't seem to be many options, Galaxy PMP and the new Sony Z are too big with their 4+ inch screens, Philips' Gogear Android player hasn't got enough storage space. ITouch is pretty much the only other viable option, what it lacks in sturdyness and (cheap) storage space, it makes up with the amount of accessories. But I don't feel it's worth twice as much as the N8, new or used, especially considering that with the N8 you get apparently a very good camera and some other minor things like the fm-transmitter and aluminium shell. This usb out would be just icing on the cake.

So what I'm asking, is there something that I haven't considered in this reasoning, and should I just cough up the cash for iTouch, or is the N8 a viable option for it?

Also, has anyone tried if the usb out works with the Leckerton uHA4? And what's the cable situation like, is it possible to get an IC that makes it possible to put the N8 and dac in our pocket, probably a micro to micro with 90-degree left or right plugs would be required. There was an ebay link earlier in the thread about custom usb-cables, but it was dead.

Thanks in advance if someone can shed a light on this.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #139 of 215
Compared to the ITouch, I would buy the N8 in a heartbeat for 4 reasons:

1. USB OTG
2. Built-in offline GPS with free maps over wifi
3. SD card support
4. Camera quality

The build quality is outstanding as well, and the onboard DAC/amp is a little better IMO as well.  About the only things the ITouch has over the N8 are a slim design, a smoother user-interface (although the Belle update solved this to some degree), and the ability to communicate via IMessage.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #140 of 215
Oh, and as for the uHA4, I haven't tried it, but I will say this - find out if it tries to install drivers.  If it does, it almost definitely won't work with the N8.  I use the Fiio E7 and tried to update to the E17 but it wouldn't work because the 17 installs drivers whereas the 7 does not.

Feb 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #141 of 215
Finding a micro-to-mini USB OTG cable with dual 90 bends would be awesome!  Haven't found or seen such a thing though.  I use the stock Nokia OTG cable with a very short mini cable to my E7.  A bit of a tradeoff for sound quality for sure, and kind of a hassle, but it's still portable for the most part.

Quote:
 And what's the cable situation like, is it possible to get an IC that makes it possible to put the N8 and dac in our pocket, probably a micro to micro with 90-degree left or right plugs would be required. There was an ebay link earlier in the thread about custom usb-cables, but it was dead.

Thanks in advance if someone can shed a light on this.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM Post #144 of 215
Thanks for the quick responses, I was strongly leaning towards N8 already and your answers have pushed me over the edge. I am currently waiting for a couple of auctions to end, hopefully the prices won't go too high. Good thing about living in Finland is that Nokia still has a pretty good share of even the smartphone market, so there is a wealth of options to choose from.

When I started looking for a new DAP with my list of demands, I was actually quite surprised how narrow the market is if you want more than basic sound quality combined with more than just basic music playing capability. The new Sony Z-series, Cowon Z2 and iTouch are pretty much the only dedicated players that come to mind, and it's even worse with phones. From what I've read iPhone 3GS/4/4S and the first Samsung Galaxy S are pretty much the only ones worth thinking about, which is pretty ridiculous considering the price you pay for a high-end smartphone. Not to mention that you probably cant get a whole day's worth of listening out of one if you also use as a phone and for all the other things you bought it for in the first place. Oh well, rant-mode off, and thanks again for the help, I'll be sure to share my experience with you once I get my hands on a N8.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:30 AM Post #145 of 215

Quote:
Finding a micro-to-mini USB OTG cable with dual 90 bends would be awesome!  Haven't found or seen such a thing though.  I use the stock Nokia OTG cable with a very short mini cable to my E7.  A bit of a tradeoff for sound quality for sure, and kind of a hassle, but it's still portable for the most part.

How about an adapter with a 90 at the phone.  I found this link on another forum for 1 right angle adapter and 1 left angle adapter.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/130496350614?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649.  I just placed my order.

There really aren't enough OTG users to justify segmenting the market by all the different connector types.  Every USB device has a male A for use with pc, so manufacturers aren't interested in anything but phone > female A , done.

I've found a few places that make custom USB cables, typical starting price starting price is around $50 USD.  That is for a regular 4 conductor cable, I have never contacted anyone to see if they can make an OTG cable or any extra price if so.  For that money, I'll stick to using adapters.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #146 of 215
Yeah, that pretty much the same thing I discovered after doing a bit more research. Custom cables start from about 50 bucks, and even if you could get the needed pinouts for the host mode to work, that is quite a sum for an usb cable. So the normal host adapter with angled head combined with a male usb A to angled microconnector  is the best bet and makes for a compact package. Also when you connect the dac to the host adapter with a normal male USB A cable, you always have the cable to connect to a laptop or anything else you like too. I also found some 90-degree micro-usb male to micro usb female cables and adapters, but since they are meant for charging, I'm not sure if they have the right pinout for the host mode to work. Also the normal host adapters and wires can be easily bought in amazon or ebay for about 10 bucks combined in varying lengths, so that doesn't leave much room for the custom cables.

Also, I just got an email that the N8 I bought has been posted, should get it by tuesday. Add the aforementioned cables and a 32Gb micro sdhc-card, and you've got a 48Gb DAP that can feed an external dac and also doubles as a pretty decent point and shoot camera, all for less than 200€. It doesn't get much better than that. Now I only need the wait for Leckerton to get the uHA4 in stock and I'm done. 

Mar 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #147 of 215
sitting here listening to my N8 via the OTG cable and a silver 20cm USB cable into my Fiio E7 and SR60s, I am delighted with the sound, I would have to spend a fortune to get something noticeably better.

great tone, detail, soundstage and PRAT too!

kt66

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #148 of 215
Footnote

playing music like this hammers the N8 battery - it normally lasts two days, via OTG 2 hours is more accurate

Mar 13, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #149 of 215
Is your E7 recharging through the host cable, that would definately eat the battery quickly. When I tested the host functionality with my desktop dac/amp (Aune Micro Usb Mk2) battery draw was somewhere between 5 and 10% per hour: definately more than listening through the headphone out, but still manageable.

In other news I pulled the trigger on IBasso D-zero since both Fiio E17 and Leckerton Uha4 seem to be unavailable for purchase at the moment and I just couldn't wait any longer. E7 was another choice, but the buttons on the side don't work with the case idea I had in mind. Sizewise D-Zero is pretty much a perfect match for the N8, hopefully audio side of things will work as well. I'll post some pics and impressions once as soon as I get a hold of it.

Mar 13, 2012 at 8:24 PM Post #150 of 215

Quote:
Is your E7 recharging through the host cable, that would definately eat the battery quickly. When I tested the host functionality with my desktop dac/amp (Aune Micro Usb Mk2) battery draw was somewhere between 5 and 10% per hour: definately more than listening through the headphone out, but still manageable.

In other news I pulled the trigger on IBasso D-zero since both Fiio E17 and Leckerton Uha4 seem to be unavailable for purchase at the moment and I just couldn't wait any longer. E7 was another choice, but the buttons on the side don't work with the case idea I had in mind. Sizewise D-Zero is pretty much a perfect match for the N8, hopefully audio side of things will work as well. I'll post some pics and impressions once as soon as I get a hold of it.

please do... a quick question though...

does that charge button is for charging the power of the device itself? so basically, you can use as a desktop amp without charging it? cause im pretty sure that e7 and the e17 charges automatically once you plug it in with the usb cable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back