Nokia Lumia 920 sound quality?
Nov 18, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #48 of 143
I'm new here. But this conversation caught my attention. Looking for a significant sonic improvement to my Galaxy S II. (Mobile use, no amp, good 'buds.)  Really not an iPhone guy, but I feel like I am sliding down that slippery slope. 
frown.gif

Just experienced an audio heart attack with new Nexus 4. Absolutely stunning device... until you plug in headphones. Blown out of water by mediocre GS II. 
confused_face_2.gif

So here I am. Intrigued that some are finding  quality sound in 920. Held it in my hand today, and love how it feels. My concern is, well, Qualcomm. After Nexus, my gut reaction is that SoC might really mean "static on a chip".  And then I see this:

There have been times though when I have heard digital noises in quiet moments during in the music which is less than ideal. 

If it is there when it is quiet, isn't it probably there other times too? I'm getting scared now. 
confused_face.gif

I really, really want to love this phone. Can anyone here shed some light on this? Has Nokia made Qualcomm SoC soar when most (all?) others could not? Any and all feedback from users would be welcome.

BIG thanks,
Baroninkjet

Nov 18, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #49 of 143
In my eyes the only good smartphones audio wise are the SGS3 and iP5. I haven't heard the Lumia 920 yet though.

The SGS2 has deplorable sound quality. Not only does it distort most IEMs, it can gloss over detail and impart a dark veiled sound. I think the ~10ohm impedance is to blame. I also found channel imbalance issues in one SGS2. It might be passable through normal non-audiophile headphones, but with the headphones I tested, namely my CIEM, TF10 and Brainwavz B2, it was quite poor performing.

Nov 18, 2012 at 7:07 AM Post #50 of 143
For Baroninkjet: I think I clocked about 20-25 hours of music listening already on my 920 & I have not heard anything but crystal clear & perfect sound ... not even signal interference when I get txts / emails / calls. 

I am still trying to figure out how it can produce such a clean sound while double amped... then again this is Nokia, I remember the 5800 music express phone I had, it was fantastic for SQ. 

Also AT&T is very cool about bringing in your amp + headphones to test out some music & if you upload a sample to dropbox / gdrive / skydrive and you want to listen to it to see how it sounds on the phone before you purchase it you can use the phone to DL it right in the store. 

Nov 18, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #51 of 143
I have to agree here, as the audio is crystal clear with no distortion al all. And a great as most HTC phones may be, their not exactly known for their sq. The exception (supposedly) s with Beats Audio - but only for a volume boost. I've never enjoyed an HTC phone. And I've never had the pleasure of hearing the sq of a Samsung Galaxy Phone. I think I need to demo one soon,...

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #53 of 143
Thanks a bunch for everyone's feedback. I REALLY appreciate it. It's so difficult to sort out all the stuff you read in online reviews, esp. on audio where most have little experience. 

I believe AT&T lets you return phones within a couple of weeks for $35 still. I might do that and give it a try.

Cheers,
BIJ

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #57 of 143
Question for those who have 920: Do you think low volume would be an issue without amp using something like Klipsch S4? I realize it is just everyone's opinions, but would be helpful.

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #58 of 143
Quote:
Are there any third party music player apps for WP which are useful, like Neutron MP, PowerAmp, etc. on Android?

Thanks! 

smily_headphones1.gif

No. Just Nokia Music for the Lumias.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #59 of 143
Am I the only one that has heard a noticeable amount of hisses and interference? I had my lumia 920 for about 10 days now, and my ue 5pro picks up an unbearable amount of hisses/interference (esp at the beginning and the end of a track when the music is about to start/fade out).

I use the stock player app, and didn't use any amp.

My ue 5pro works fine with iphone 4. No hisses or signal interference.

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #60 of 143
Quote:
Am I the only one that has heard a noticeable amount of hisses and interference? I had my lumia 920 for about 10 days now, and my ue 5pro picks up an unbearable amount of hisses/interference (esp at the beginning and the end of a track when the music is about to start/fade out).

I use the stock player app, and didn't use any amp.

My ue 5pro works fine with iphone 4. No hisses or signal interference.

Ouch. Your post mirrors what i heard a few weeks back on a Lumia 900. Sad that background hiss is still an issue on the 920.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back