Noise when splitting audio to dac/amp and on-board mic output
Feb 19, 2023 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Schmidter

New Head-Fier
When I split my headsets audio and mic to my Audio-GD R2R 11 and then the mic output on the on-board audio in my PC, I get noise in my headset. I tried with two splitter cables, same thing. Would an external USB dac, where I can connect my headphone output to, maybe fix this issue? Since my theory is that it is from the noise inside the PC? Thanks in advance for any help I can get, and have a great day!

Edit: When I connect to only the on-board, there is no noise. So perhaps not the noise inside the case? I don't know much about these things, hope someone can enlighten and help me out.

Edit2: I have a splitterbox, if I connect to that instead, a box that can split connections, I also get noise. Even though I'm connected to only the motherboard on-board. So it happens always when I connect through another device, while both mic and headphone is active. If I use only headphone, every option gives no noise by itself. It only happens when mic is also attached. But as I stated, if I connect directly to my PC only, there is no noise. Only when the audio goes through something else, does it introduce noise.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023 at 7:31 PM Post #2 of 5
When I split my headsets audio and mic to my Audio-GD R2R 11 and then the mic output on the on-board audio in my PC, I get noise in my headset. I tried with two splitter cables, same thing. Would an external USB dac, where I can connect my headphone output to, maybe fix this issue? Since my theory is that it is from the noise inside the PC? Thanks in advance for any help I can get, and have a great day!

Edit: When I connect to only the on-board, there is no noise. So perhaps not the noise inside the case? I don't know much about these things, hope someone can enlighten and help me out.

Edit2: I have a splitterbox, if I connect to that instead, a box that can split connections, I also get noise. Even though I'm connected to only the motherboard on-board. So it happens always when I connect through another device, while both mic and headphone is active. If I use only headphone, every option gives no noise by itself. It only happens when mic is also attached. But as I stated, if I connect directly to my PC only, there is no noise. Only when the audio goes through something else, does it introduce noise.

What type of computer and OS are you using? The first thing I'd try out is going to your OS's sound management and see if you need to lower your mic level (often times, there can be too much amplification).

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 5
Maybe the adapter/splitter is messing with the rings on the jack? There are sadly a bunch of versions now for anything with more than tip ring ring thanks to cellphone manufacturers trying to force the rest of the world to adopt their own ring order. If left and right audio on the headset work and don't have one side very attenuated, and if the mic works, then that's almost surely not the problem.

A wilder guess would be that 2 devices now try to share the same ground and you're getting your own local ground loop noise?

Not sure that a proper diagnostic would let you solve the issue. Maybe just get another mic if you really wish to use your Audio GD for the headphone. That's likely to be the cheaper and surer solution of all.

Feb 20, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 5
What type of computer and OS are you using? The first thing I'd try out is going to your OS's sound management and see if you need to lower your mic level (often times, there can be too much amplification).
Desktop and Windows 10. When I split it with normal settings, and set both to the on-board there is no noise. It's only when the audio and not microphone part is then going through another device, and microphone is connected to on-board. Examples are a splitter I have, or seperate DAC/AMP.

Edit: I tried lowering micrphone gain and cvolume. Even turning it off in Windows. It's still there. I thought it would still be, since there is no issues with similar settings if I only connect to the on-board audio and mic. It's when I spliut the mic to the on-board and then go into dac/amp or splitter I get the noise.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe the adapter/splitter is messing with the rings on the jack? There are sadly a bunch of versions now for anything with more than tip ring ring thanks to cellphone manufacturers trying to force the rest of the world to adopt their own ring order. If left and right audio on the headset work and don't have one side very attenuated, and if the mic works, then that's almost surely not the problem.

A wilder guess would be that 2 devices now try to share the same ground and you're getting your own local ground loop noise?

Not sure that a proper diagnostic would let you solve the issue. Maybe just get another mic if you really wish to use your Audio GD for the headphone. That's likely to be the cheaper and surer solution of all.
I don't know about electrical stuff and local ground loop. I don't understand that totally. If it is that, how could I try and fix it?

I tried with both splitters. Both audio and microphone works. I just get noise. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back