1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Noise-Cancelling Headphones

1. FossMaNo1
    I'm a worship leader and I am trying to find a good solution for mixing our livestream broadcast. Our mixer has the ability to send one mix to our house speakers and a different one to our live stream. This is important as we mic our acoustic instruments for the live stream only (they are not routed to the house speakers as they don't need amplification for the space we're in). The problem is our sound guys cannot get a good mix for the live stream because with the headphones they're using they get serious bleed-over from the house sound and it is difficult to hear the live stream mix distinctly from the house mix.

And, no, it is not possible to mix the live stream in a separate room.

So, I am looking into noise-cancelling headphones. I ran across the Sony WH-1000XM3 which have gotten GREAT reviews, however I am concerned about their use in our environment. I don't need the BluTooth or Google Assist features. I just want to plug them in directly to the board (which they are capable of) and be able to mix. Will these cans work for this?

Thoughts?

2. buke9
    What headphones are you using now?

3. FossMaNo1
    Sennheiser HD 280 PRO Closed-Back Headphones

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. buke9
    Have a pair myself and they isolate pretty good I guess it is very loud then. Then thing is you are trying to cancel the sounds you want to hear so don’t know how well that will work.

5. Pentagonal
    I highly recommend going for passive noise isolating headphones. Active noise cancelling is typically done via Digital Signal Processing and will change the signal’s accuracy. What you hear won’t be what others hear as the headphones will try to alter the bass, treble, and more.

Instead, noise isolating headphones will block out the sound by their construction and provide a flat signal to monitor and mix with. Check these: https://headphonesaddict.com/best-noise-isolating-earbuds/

Best of success!
    Eugene

serman005 likes this.
  6. serman005
    I agree with what's been said. I don't think you want active noise canceling. A really well-isolating (passively) pair will serve you better, IMO.

Pentagonal likes this.