Noise-cancelling headphones
Apr 30, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #16 of 20
It's a qualitatively different experience, the only way to really get a grasp of it is to try both yourself. I think it's fair to say both give first-class isolation, but obviously they go about it differently. FOR ME, the Bose seem to do a really nice job for low frequency noise, and others seem to agree. ER4s have higher sound quality, no question about it, IMHO. I just don't like sticking things in my ears and blocking out my entire environment and not being able to whip my headphones off, etc. etc. etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by ampgalore
How does the Bose Quiet Comfort 2 compare with ER4S in terms of noise isolation?

I just came back from a trip to Florida. Used the ER4S on the plane, I could still hear engine noise with the ER4S on, but the engine noise was significantly attenuated. But it was still there nonetheless.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #17 of 20
So is there a final verdict on the noise-cancelling and sound quality of the PXC250's? I've a couple of friends who own two pairs, and they said they worked pretty well when flying from California to Australia, although they didn't audition any others.

I ask because I left my old Sony ones on the plane (not the earphones, the headphones, can't remember what model) and while the noise-cancelling worked reasonably well, the sound quality was atrocious.

I've also thought about picking up the Shure e2c's as an alternative, but I have a perfectly good pair of B&O earphones that were given to me as a present, so I'm reluctant to buy another pair of earphones. The Bose QC's are out as they cost too much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 20
True question would be "what is your expectation?". PXC250 can be good or bad depends on where you set the bar.
Sound wise, it has decent balance although it is slightly muddy overall. Quite good sounding for the size and noise canceling device adds bass for extra punch.
Its noise cancellation circuit should be designed well. But because of its small supraural design, it does not seal well. Well, it might seal OK but not to the level of QC2 or canalphones. Without good seal, noise cancellation system doesn't perform well.

So if you compare them to airline's standard equipment PXC250 is fabulous. I'm sure it works better than your old Sony noise cancelling headphone. If you expect noise blocking level of foam ear plugs you will be mildly disappointed. You will always choose QC2 over PXC250 if not for the price. Finally, if you experienced Ety's once, you'll be confused if PXC250 ever reduced any noise....

May 1, 2004 at 6:33 AM Post #19 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Takashi
True question would be "what is your expectation?". PXC250 can be good or bad depends on where you set the bar.

Thanks for the response. Well, I suppose that I expect them to be pretty decent, although not mind-bogglingly good, which I'm sure the e2c's should be, given how everyone raves about them. Even my old Sonys were better than the standard junk on the airline, though. But I don't really want the noise-blocking ability of foam earplugs. As for ety's, well, they're hard to find, and I understand that they're not exactly cheap, right?

Let me put it this way - I listened to a friend's PX100's and they sounded pretty alright to me. I am also quite fond of my B&O earphones now. Apart from them, the only other half-decent (though probably not even that) set I have is an ancient Sony MDR-V200 which sounds muddy and generally quite crap to me, though about 20 million times better than the Sonys I left on the plane. How much better (or not!) are the PXC250's than any of the above?

At the moment, though, it looks like it'll be the PXC250's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back