Noise Cancelling Headphones
Jun 25, 2012 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

I Live in a Box

New Head-Fier
As recommended, I purchased a Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ω. As it turns out, the isolation it offers is insufficient.
Thus, I must turn to noise cancelling headphones, yes? Or ear plugs,  even?

What are your suggestions?

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 8
Just for noise cancellation, save up and get the Bose QuietComfort15. They don't have the best sound out there, but are great at keeping other sounds away from your music. Probably even the best at it.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Just for noise cancellation, save up and get the Bose QuietComfort15. They don't have the best sound out there, but are great at keeping other sounds away from your music. Probably even the best at it.

X2, Bose doesn't have the best sound quality but they are decent. They do however have by far the best noise cancelling. I've owned two pair the QC-1 & 2. To save money check EBay for a used pair.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 8
Wear your IEM first for the music, then wear Bose QuietComfort15 on top to block the noise. :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #7 of 8
Wear your IEM first for the music, then wear Bose QuietComfort15 on top to block to noise. :)

i might give this a try since im going on vacay next week

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Wear your IEM first for the music, then wear Bose QuietComfort15 on top to block to noise. :)

i might give this a try since im going on vacay next week

Okay MRINICK i told you i got the Able Planet nc1000cha for 65 bucks. I just did a test trying the above with these cans.

I put my stereo on medium vol playing a noisy linkin park track. Then i set my window AC unit on high fan.
1dbece41.jpg

Then I took my cx200's (with SILICON tips) in-ears and the nc1000cha.

With cx200's in -- can hear humm from AC (annoying) and linkin park.

With 200s and the NC1000s with nc off -- everything already almost quiet though can still make out the humm and can hear mainly bass.

Now with NC turned on (ipod off) -- Humm almost totally gone. Pretty quiet. Could barely hear that the sereo was on. (wld be even better with my real iem's with comply tips)

iPod on wearing both in ear and nc1000's (nc turned on) -- Could'nt make out anything of linkin park playing audio on the ipod at the lowest volume i could get it to.

Using The NC1000s alone without IEMs -- with the NC turned on it takes out the most annoying low dull roar of the ac out although you can still hear what almost sounds like sibilance. With linkin park turned on all the low sounds of the music are gone (except can feel subsonic bass obviously) but I can hear the vocals quite easily. In other words it allows through the higher (albeit less annoying compared to that airplane low humm noise) sounds.

Then I played a music track through them. Sraight out of my itouch this is the volume level i lowered it to before i could vaguely make out that there was another song being played in the room:

9673b635.jpg

Cldnt hear the lows and low mids but the vocals and higher end noises. Would hav had to go a bit lower to consider it annoying.

Lastly just to make sure I didnt lie to you on the SQ I compared them to that pair of Triports I told you about. And yes they are considerably better and more clear. I put my HD 380's on after that and saw the detail I was missing in the NC1000s but it wasn't dreadfully lacking like the triports. THe NC1000s have a lot more bass than my more neutral 380s. Tested through fiio e11 had to turn bass boost off with NC1000ch.

Summary:
1. Bose NC is for sure better. Able Planet's SQ is for sure better.
2. With IEM's in with NC1000s on top, you won't be bothered by noise for sure.
3. With just the NC1000 -- it will remove that annoying plane sound but not voices.

Bose 300 clams -- everywhere. Able Planet 65 clams at Worldwide.

Is that long enough?... heres a pic of them in case you wanted to see em...

7f05d0c6.jpg

(note: for some reason the nc1000's sound dreadful with NC off - it's their "linx audio" technology.)

edit: I forgot to mention they also have an attenuator in the cable so when those in-flight ear-blowing announcements come on the PA, you can quickly turn it down without yanking them off your head with bleeding ears.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back