Noise cancelling headphone recommendations - around $350
Nov 19, 2017 at 3:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

willybravo

New Head-Fier
Looking for some recommendations for noise cancelling headphones - my budget is around $350 which could go up or down slightly for the right ones.

I do a lot of travel so quality noise cancelling is an absolute must for the plane trips. Wireless would also be a bonus.

I would also like to use these at the office so isolation is important.

I will primary use them with my phone / computer using Spotify so will need to be relatively easy to drive. However, I do have an amp at home so would be interested in a pair that could be amped also - if that is possible...

In terms of sound signature I like a balanced response.

In my research I seem to keep finding that the Bose QC35's are the best for noise cancelling and seem to fit my needs the best - however I really don't like the idea of Bose and want to justify something else!

Open to any and all ideas! Thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 8
Hi willybravo,

if you're after ridiculously good noise cancelling, especially with a bluetooth option in your budget, try Sony WH 1000XM2.
Keep in mind, this is highly subjective & personal too, potentially best on the market, not just saying this either as I am happy owner.
See if you can demo a pair of these as hearing for yourself in the real test, also try to find a place which is both noisy & quiet as 1000XM2 is the only NC headphones I notice which doesn't change NC response based on environment unless you tell it too. (Has a built in optimiser which activates on first use & subsequent switch on but can be readjusted at any time)

Noise cancelling works either wired or wireless as standard, most important, ambient noise can be heard only if you place your right hand on the right earcup otherwise can be toggled on & off on the left side or in app.

Hope this helps.

Nov 20, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks Pagan. These seem like a good option!

I'm currently tossing up between the Bose QC35, Sennheiser PXC 550 and the Sony WH 1000XM2.

Are there any other suggestions out there that should be in this group?

Dec 24, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #4 of 8
hi,

(
the story so far, feel free to skip:
for christmas i got a pair of sony wh-1000xm2 cans. i loved them but there were problems i couldnt live with, see my troubles here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-1000x-mark-ii-huzzah.859433/page-5#post-13930295
)

anyway id like to find a replacement. it would be used at home with pc so traveling/commuting stuff (case, foldability) doesnt matter, apt-x however does (thats why the bose doesnt appear on my list), preferably hd (the sennheisers) but i could also appreciate low latency (b&o).
i really liked the sonys anc, so id like something thats at least close. the sony sounded somewhat bassy to me but it could be toned down with the mobile app so it was ok. my question is basically what is what swims like a sony quacks like a sony but it isnt a sony? my alternatives so far:

Bowers & Wilkins PX
Sennheiser HD 4.50 BTNC Wireless
Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay H9
Sennheiser PXC 550 Wireless

does one of the above (or any you may think of) offer similar capabilities as the sony in matters of sq and anc?
thank you in advance,
g

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 8
The PXC550 and HD1 Wires are both better than the QC35 in just about every way. The PXC550 sounded more balanced to me than the HD1 but the HD1 were more enjoyable to me and respond decently well to EQ if you wanted to tone down the very slight bass bump. Since the HD1 is the same price as the QC35, there is essentially no reason to buy the Bose unless you're a fanboy :p

Dec 24, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 8
thank you very much for your rapid answer. im not a fanboy of any brand, i had misgivings about sony, serves me right choosing it anyway. i also have concerns about sennheisers, not that i have vast experience but i have one now (rs 160) and after 2 years the headband is very loose (not broken) and always wants to slide off my head and the fact that the cups dont press to the ears enough also infuences the listening experience...
unfortunately the hd-1 is not available in my country and concerning my luck id really like a domestic merchant.
thanks again,
g

Dec 24, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #7 of 8
thank you very much for your rapid answer. im not a fanboy of any brand, i had misgivings about sony, serves me right choosing it anyway. i also have concerns about sennheisers, not that i have vast experience but i have one now (rs 160) and after 2 years the headband is very loose (not broken) and always wants to slide off my head and the fact that the cups dont press to the ears enough also infuences the listening experience...
unfortunately the hd-1 is not available in my country and concerning my luck id really like a domestic merchant.
thanks again,
g
Damn I wish you had access to the HD1. That rs160 you have is basically all plastic. The HD1 is a mix of leather, metal, and almost no plastic. It's much more durable than the all-plastic Bose headphones. To be fair though, I have heard the QC35 and they aren't terrible. Nowhere near the sound quality of the HD1, but not bad for people who aren't picky. But if the HD1 is worth 350 dollars, then proportionally the QC35 should only cost 200 at most based on their build quality and sound

Dec 26, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 8
Damn I wish you had access to the HD1. That rs160 you have is basically all plastic. The HD1 is a mix of leather, metal, and almost no plastic. It's much more durable than the all-plastic Bose headphones. To be fair though, I have heard the QC35 and they aren't terrible. Nowhere near the sound quality of the HD1, but not bad for people who aren't picky. But if the HD1 is worth 350 dollars, then proportionally the QC35 should only cost 200 at most based on their build quality and sound
btw i dont think i emphasized enough that the anc capabilities are just as important me as sq (a very severe case of noisy neighbours syndrome). is the anc of these sennheisers at least close to their competitors?

and... well... i dont wanna to pressure anyone but id really like a silver dollar so i hope to collect more 2 cents, people 8).
thanks,
g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back