Noise cancelling headphone for lecture
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

spur

New Head-Fier
Hi, guys. I need your help.

Normally I'm in FZ league, using cans like HD800, Grado GS1000 but recently I needed to listen to certain lectures in a bus. The noisy environment made me think of Noise cancelling headphone/earphone. So I went and looked for one.

Didn't quite like IEM due to low comfort, bacterial overgrowth[theoretically].
So now I'm looking for a noise canceclling headphone.

Noise cancelling feature is the highest priority.
Price and comfort is the next to the highest priority.
Sound quality is not important at all [just clear audible talking sound, that's it]

Which cans can do the job?

Thanks

Sep 13, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 14
PXC 450. Best NC on the market. Great neutral sound. Comfort is some of the best.

Proof
YouTube - Noise Cancelling Shootout!

And this is even the 350. You could pick that 2, if ur limited to a budget

Sep 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 14
I can't comment on cans but I love your post's title.

Sep 14, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Portable ones are usually ok/not very good. Sony MDR-NC40 is a popular choice. If you mainly use it for lecture and don't mind it almost a full size, "Able Planet True Fidelity" tuned for vocal, maybe a good fit for you. I had a few noise-canclling earbuds (not IEM) - earbuds attached to noise-cancelling units, they did not work too well .

Sep 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Thank you guys. Just check the price of Noise cancelling headphones. They're quite costly [due to the fact that I've just bought HD800.]. May be I can pick cheaper IEM.

Sep 14, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dnullify /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure NC is your only option? how about a pair of isolating closed cans? IEMs are great for isolation too.

Well, forget to mention that. Closed cans are fine too.The only thing I don't quite like is IEM due to the above mentioned

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #9 of 14
Its true that for a lot of people, sticking IEM's deep into their ears feels uncomfortable, but I think its just something that takes getting used to and then its well worth it.

When I first got my SE530, my ears used to hurt after an hour or two of use. But I kept using it daily and after a couple of weeks, there was no pain or discomfort at all, even after extended periods of listening.

And the whole "theoretical bacterial overgrowth" seems like such a myth that people often use along with the whole "high volume/close proximity to ear" argument to say that IEM's are bad for you. Just clean out your ears when you shower, wash/change your IEM tips if they get dirty and this won't be a problem at all.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #11 of 14
Ditto on the ear infection concerns. I've been using IEM for at least six years with not a hint of a problem. Go to any worksite in the U.S. that is noisy and you'll see the workers with earplugs. The getting used to part is true. Try foamies first. They're more comfortable and do a better job of sound isolation.

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #13 of 14
they are just find behind your neck. they fold flat so they wont stop your head from moving

Sep 16, 2009 at 2:45 AM Post #14 of 14
JVC JVC HA-S700 closed cans.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back