Noise cancelling and Sony X1060
May 14, 2009 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.

Am considering the new Sony X1060 player which has noise cancelling function. It comes with EX phones (are they similar to EX90's which I have?) - but my favourites are Ety6i's and Superfi 5's.

The player isnt quite out yet (any day though) but various reviews/specs etc say things like " cant use other phones" (with noise cancelling function) and " cant use supplied phones with other players"? (really?)

Can anyone advise /comment re " can I use ety's with this "? What difference would there be with NCancelling on/off?? What about if the supplied phones are used on other players? Any advice appreciated! Thanks.

May 14, 2009 at 2:41 PM Post #2 of 6
You can use your favourite phones with the X1060, but the ANC function can not be used. I have the X1060 and I've been listening to it with my IE 8. You can of course use the supplied headphone with other DAP, but again the ANC function will not be enabled.

Hope this helps.

May 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Walkingman - appreciate the reply. I suppose what I'm really wondering is what happens if you DID have ANC switched on with say Etys plugged in? Does no sound come out? Is is massively degraded? Or just slightly? etc.

Incidently - any quick views on the X series?? You must be one of the very first to get one??

May 14, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 6
Soozieq got hers first, and it is thanks to her I got the heads-up and quickly jog over to John Lewis. Impressions in the portable source forum.

ANC is enabled via a hardware switch. The software takes care of the level of ANC you require. It can detect whether or not a compatible headphone is inserted, and if it isn't the DAP will simply not enable ANC. Sound just comes out as though it isn't enabled.

Jul 9, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 6
I just bought the Sony x 1060. I Abed it against my Creative Zen M (not made any more). The Zen M sounds very musical . I have previously AB'D it to the IPod Touch, Zune and the newer creative products. It sounds musical while the rest either sound unnatural or dirty relatively speaking.

The Sony sounds like mid to lower hi if. It is not musical at all. The mid range sounds as dry as the Sahara desert. The bass is tight and punchy. The highs are not natural at all and does not extend as much as the Zen. In summary I am returning the Sony.
It seems that the smaller the players get the worse they sound. They are using these Digital amps on circuit boards that may spec well but sound horrid. The reason is because there are different distortions. Harmonic distortion like tubes produced sounds great. When the first Solid state came out they specked great but their distortion is non harmonic and is very irritating. This new digital amp sound compressed and not musical at all. I guess Sony S Masters stands for S_ _ _ Master. I guess Sony is into gimmicks since it seems they do not use ears to listen to their creations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back