NocturnaL Audio Custom Headphone Cables
Jan 4, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #181 of 207
Have a copper/silver hybrid mini to mini which came with my second hand AK120 and after several weeks of comparing it to the Fiio/Oyaide mini(which is cheaper), I think that the Fiio is better in having less sibilance.
With the Nocturnal I immediately notice the pronounciation of the s in a song.....and I hate it if it is too sibilant.
Fiio it is!

Silver is a tad brighter than copper due to it's inductance properties cutting bass. This is what you are hearing. You prefer copper! As I imagine I would. I plan on building a cable for myself. I think I'm going to use OCC copper. I can't stand bright sound.

Jan 10, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #184 of 207
Like the colour....snakeskin!

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #185 of 207
Vegas how do you like your hydra? Is it worth the price and are the cables extremely heavy or manageable. Would you please describe the difference in sound from stock fx850 cable too thanx in advance.

May 27, 2015 at 3:50 AM Post #189 of 207

Would you say Nyx is worth 2x the price of the Quad 29?

They sound different, Nyx is very smooth on mids and a little V shaped with very good extended highs on details but have a little reduced on sub bass region. Quad 29 is more neutral and warm and not so good on details. Did Nyx worth 2x price? Well, it depend on your headphone/earphone class and your amplifier. I think that Nyx is more for HD 650 and higher headphones, of course if it doesn't break balance of headphone sound. Match-ability is also play a role here. However, better headphone/earphone + better amplifier = more sound quality provide cable.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #190 of 207
Apologies for the thread bump.

By now, most of you who have had dealings with Nocturnal Audio are likely not to have heard any recent news about the company. This is only natural, because Nocturnal Audio (or at least the old iteration of it) has ceased to exist along with the disappearing act of Zack Zhou (@ReNnxz)

Zack Zhou has been active on head-fi and the local Singaporean forums up to the end of September 2014. He manufactured cables and sold them through the Nocturnal Audio brand conceived in partnership with the local audio distributor Treoo, but also directly with fellow local forumers through private messages and direct phone contact. Towards the end of 2014, Zack began to run into all sorts of troubles with the orders that had been placed for cables. Promised delivery dates were not met, and attempts to contact him turned to naught. Most commonly, Zack would not reply text messages for a prolonged period of time, before coming up with explanations and excuses to request for an extension to the deadline of the policy. Personally, I am still owed $450 SGD by Zack, and $300 of this was actually an amount that I sent over to his bank account after he played on my sentiments (which on hindsight was extremely naive) and begged me to lend him $300 to pay off outstanding amounts he owed to other customers due to unfulfilled orders. Following this, he proceeded to lie and cheat his way to delaying the return of the sum which he owes me, till the time of this message where he has completely broken off contact and has yet to return anything. His modus operandi is quite complex, and if anyone whom wishes to have more information about this, they can drop me a PM and I will be obliged to share.

Fast forward to today, myself and a number of other local Singaporean Head-fiers and forumers have pooled together a substantial amount of information pertaining to the whereabouts of Zack Zhou. We have his personal home address, cell phone number, bank account number, an entire database of text message exchanges which document how he lied at every turn and failed to deliver on his backlog of orders while quite astonishingly continuing to take orders from new customers.

The purpose of this thread bump is to encourage anyone else who has had prior interactions with Zack Zhou (ReNnxz) to come forward with any information you might have. PM chat logs, transaction details, or any other sort of information would be useful to us. With the collated information, we will then press a police report against him, and likely also proceed to take further legal action against him.

We do acknowledge that people whom have direct contact with him rather than through going with Treoo's service (they are a superb company which is equally a victim of Zack Zhou's games as we are) are mostly local Singaporeans who contact him through the local vrzone forums, but before we issue out this message on there, we thought it'd be good to maximize all possible information sources for the most complete information.

Thank you for reading this.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #191 of 207
So who is in charge of the operations of Nocturnal now? I have purchased 4 Nocturnal cables from Treoo this year and did not find any problems with the given delivery date, except that a pair was 1 week delayed. Quite unnerving to trust the brand with 200$ cable when you claim that Nocturnal is not reliable.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #192 of 207
So who is in charge of the operations of Nocturnal now? I have purchased 4 Nocturnal cables from Treoo this year and did not find any problems with the given delivery date, except that a pair was 1 week delayed. Quite unnerving to trust the brand with 200$ cable when you claim that Nocturnal is not reliable.

Treoo took over the brand name, production and delivery. Since earlier this year there shouldn't be any problems dealing with them now. I lost a cable sent in for repair during the turbulent times but I'm actually thinking of buying from them someday. Now that I've heard that things run smoothly again.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #193 of 207
Yes my apologies for not clarifying. Nocturnal Audio is still existing, and since the Treoo took over all things from Zack, the company still produces excellent cables (I've auditioned them) in an extremely accountable and responsible way. In essence however, the Nocturnal Audio that you see today is completely different from the initial Nocturnal Audio in which Zack Zhou was the one man crew of the ship.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:10 AM Post #194 of 207
So is it OK to order from Treoo now? I'm interested in their "NocturnaL Audio Hydra V2 8-conductor" and waiting for them to confirm if can customize for both 3.5mm TRRS jacks (balanced configuration) for my Oppo PM-3 & Sony NW-ZX2 setup.
Yes my apologies for not clarifying. Nocturnal Audio is still existing, and since the Treoo took over all things from Zack, the company still produces excellent cables (I've auditioned them) in an extremely accountable and responsible way. In essence however, the Nocturnal Audio that you see today is completely different from the initial Nocturnal Audio in which Zack Zhou was the one man crew of the ship.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #195 of 207
Got the Acrux 4-core recently and I would not recommend the cable at all...

1) There is no core/damper and as such, the cable breaks easily. Even advertised as cyro-treated, the cable is very brittle. Have to re-terminate 4-times in 3 months and I think it is a matter of a few weeks before it breaks again,
2) As opposed to being advertised as litz treated, it is not. While re-terminating, I tested the conductivity on the side of the raw wire and it is most definitely not litz treated,
3) Memory effect on wire is rather high,
4) Microphonics :frowning2:

Sigh* When I first saw the price, I thought this is too good to be true, well, you know what people always say ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back