Nobsound NS-08E vs Zhilai D1 (Chinese Ebay unit)?
Dec 28, 2016 at 4:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

joemg

New Head-Fier
I see a lot of good things written about the NS-08E.  I was poking around ebay and found something similar with a USB DAC built in:http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZHILAI-D1-HIFI-Headphone-Amplifier-USB-Audio-Chip-7022-16bit-24bit-Black-/172367159194?hash=item2821e21f9a:g:XY0AAOSwMVdYFwFs

It uses the 7022 chip for USB.  Are these amps comparable?  Is this a decent budget dac? I've narrowed my choices down to the NS-08E+hifimeDIY ES9023 DAC or this ebay one.  The advantages of the ebay unit: 1) dac and amp combined is sleek 2) half the price of separate DAC/AMP.

Does anyone have any experiences, or even thoughts on this?

I'll be using them to power a Sennheiser HD595.

Also, I'm open to suggestion on tubes to roll since the chinese ones it comes with are probably garbage.

Thanks!

Dec 28, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2 of 4
I know it's probably a longshot that anyone physically has this unit, but maybe someone with more insight on the components than I have can identify any obvious red flags or pros/cons?

Also, as far as tubes, I'm leaning towards some Amperex 6688-JAN NOS.

Dec 29, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #3 of 4
after watching this I'm considering scrapping both: https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_369287791&feature=iv&src_vid=9RhD-NO0n-4&v=coSt5HWRvv4

Basically, the tubes aren't used for amplification, but as a buffer.  It might be good to include this information in the review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/nobsound-ns-08e-vacuum-tube-integrated-amplifier-mini-audio-hifi-stereo-headphone-amp/reviews/17665 @crabdog

The video shows a Xuanzu branded unit, but I believe it's just rebranded.  I can't speak for the Zhilai... there are plenty of pics of it torn down, but no one has done a reverse engineering like on the Nobsound.  My speculation is it's probably the same.

I'm considering the Bravo Audio V1 or V2 since they're pure tube amplification and only about $10 more, but I'm open to suggestion.

I hope this thread helps anyone else who was considering purchasing this thinking it was a true hybrid tube amp.

Mar 10, 2018 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 4
I tested one Zhilai D1 and it blew me away!! I connect Zhilai to PC and Audeze XC. The bass is so powerful and clean, the mid and treble are smooth. I don't know how Zhilai make it but this combo sound as good as Hugo2. The 1 Watt output is enough to drive my XC and i hardly need to turn the volume past 12 o'clock. With good source from Tidal and some audiophile videos from youtube (yes, youtube) this combo keeps my head shaking in disbelief. How can a cheap product like Zhilai sounds so good? Right away, i ordered one from eBay and i'm now enjoying it still.
Zhilai sets me thinking why 7022 DAC and it's simple and cheap amp circuit can sound as good or even better than >$2000 headphone amp. I have no answer to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back