NOBLE Savant Thread (Impressions, Reviews, Tours)
Jan 23, 2016 at 5:36 AM Post #646 of 928

Thanks for sharing your impressions. You pretty much described the Savant sound similarly to the general consensus. Happy listening!

In other news, this is from the main Noble thread :
But more seriously, if anyone in Noble-land is interested in possibly winning a Wizard Savant universal, Brannan was his normal awesome self and has donated just such a pair to the raffle to be held at the Philly HF meet-up on the 31st. Here's info on the meet - http://www.head-fi.org/t/790693/philadelphia-area-meet-sunday-jan-31st-no-football-that-weekend

I'll also be playing the role of Wata in wearing one of my Noble shirts and acting as brand ambassador in helping bring more HF members into the Noble collective. :wink_face:

Cheers all 

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #647 of 928
What are people using as a dac/amp with these? I'm eyeing the Mojo but it seems awefully expensive and not that pocket friendly for iOS in it's current state without the add-on kit being release, however it's also powerful enough for my other headphones. I'm just not sure if it's actually worth $600

Jan 26, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #648 of 928
What are people using as a dac/amp with these? I'm eyeing the Mojo but it seems awefully expensive and not that pocket friendly for iOS in it's current state without the add-on kit being release, however it's also powerful enough for my other headphones. I'm just not sure if it's actually worth $600

I'm using RWAK100->sysconcepts cable->mojo->savant.

Mojo is best money I've spent on audio kit ever.
Agree having an optical cable out one end and savant cable out the other isn't pocket best. Might get a right angled IEM cable

Jan 26, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #649 of 928
I'm using RWAK100->sysconcepts cable->mojo->savant.

Mojo is best money I've spent on audio kit ever.
Agree having an optical cable out one end and savant cable out the other isn't pocket best. Might get a right angled IEM cable

Yeah that's really what I'm worried about at this point, I wish someone would make a dac/amp that would serve as a case/doc for the iphone but have the jack recessed a bit with cable strain relief at the top:

I'm just dreading figuring out how to get the cck cable to fit nicely... my pockets are fairly shallow/small as well. Might just scrap the idea of a dac/amp it isn't that bad out of iphone but the savant definitely reveals the limitations of it. If Chord can make something like that (obviously the ratios are off) I would buy it.

edit: So I'm hearing from people that I trust for their opinion that the Mojo has rolled off sub bass and a bit rolled off highs, are you experiencing that at all?

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #650 of 928

It's something you will LOVE
wink.gif

I certainly love mine. 

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #651 of 928
  Yeah that's really what I'm worried about at this point, I wish someone would make a dac/amp that would serve as a case/doc for the iphone but have the jack recessed a bit with cable strain relief at the top:

I'm just dreading figuring out how to get the cck cable to fit nicely... my pockets are fairly shallow/small as well. Might just scrap the idea of a dac/amp it isn't that bad out of iphone but the savant definitely reveals the limitations of it. If Chord can make something like that (obviously the ratios are off) I would buy it.

If you don't mind a bit of hiss, the OPPO HA-2 is an excellent pair for an iPhone.

Personally, I don't feel the need of using an dac/amp unless doing critical comparisons. The Savant can be driven directly from an iPhone or iPod touch.

Jan 26, 2016 at 8:43 PM Post #652 of 928

If you don't mind a bit of hiss, the OPPO HA-2 is an excellent pair for an iPhone.

Personally, I don't feel the need of using an dac/amp unless doing critical comparisons. The Savant can be driven directly from an iPhone or iPod touch.

Very easily too. From my iPod Touch I very rarely go above five steps of volume.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Jan 27, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #653 of 928
Yeah I just made the mistake of listening to them from my desktop setup and it's noticeably cleaner/more detailed than from the iphone. So I kind of ruined the iphone for myself lol. It's still excellent though just not as good as it can be unfortunately.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #654 of 928
Yeah I just made the mistake of listening to them from my desktop setup and it's noticeably cleaner/more detailed than from the iphone. So I kind of ruined the iphone for myself lol. It's still excellent though just not as good as it can be unfortunately.

If you're on the go or outdoors, getting the same sound quality won't matter much. So a DAC/amp is just an additional burden and a hindrance to portability. But yes, serious listening in a quiet environment using an excellent dac/amp can provide a better experience. The Savant is quite transparent so any improvement or changes from the source is noticeable.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:05 AM Post #655 of 928
@Wyd4 has got his own take on the Savant experience!
Check out his review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/15147

Mojo + Savant:  Where do I start.  The mojo is exactly the kind of source you want for something like the Savant.  Much like I enjoyed the Mojo with various Grado headphones, it is just mellow enough without sacrificing transparency to make the Savant sing.  While the smooth mojo does not tame the Savants peak (for me) it does not accentuate it.  The Savant and Mojo give a truly what I associate with a HiFi sound.  I must clarify when I say HiFi I am thinking a natural sound, a sound I would associate with a pair of stereo speakers, the stereo speakers I grew up with.  Many IEMs go for uber detail, micro detail at the expense of a lack of natural sound.  With the Mojo, the Savant just sounds right.  Everything sounds natural.  As it should be.  Soundstage and air is probably a little more intimate than the Alien, however not in a bad way.  Everything is still well in its place, the pluck of guitar strings, the lips of the singer pursing, its all there, but not glaringly so.

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #656 of 928
Can anyone try listening to Obscura - Sermon of the Seven Suns and let me know if the mid-bass/bass sounds like it is biased to the left channel, I'm not sure if I'm hearing things or it's the song...

Feb 8, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #657 of 928
@ Danthrax Wow! I think that the Drums are mic'd really well because the imaging is really good. I hear the snare dead center, the cymbals are fanned out over 280 degrees, and I think what your picking up in is the kick drum (which I am hearing slightly panned to the left which is where it might be placed in relation to the drummer).

Feb 9, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #658 of 928
@avitron142 has posted his review on the Wizard Savant.
Check out the entire content here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/15202

photo by: avitron142

Conclusion:

The Savant is an interesting headphone. On one hand, it has the clarity and detail that this price would suggest from the Savant. However, there are a few quirks in the tuning, such as accuracy of instruments and the bass. Like I said before, I would much rather a good all-rounder than one that has brilliant pros but also pitfall cons. There’s also the issue of genre – if the accuracy isn’t spot on, then classical and instrumental music is out of the picture. If the bass isn’t top-notch, then most bass-oriented genres are out of the picture as well. The only genre I know that is unaffected is vocal-oriented music, which admittedly makes up a large percentage of the market today. Still, I was expecting the Savant to specialize in more than one genre.

When it comes to physical features, it’s the same story. Extremely lightweight, and with a fantastic cable (putting aside the few complaints I had about that). However, the Wizard design is fingerprint prone, and isn’t as impressive to me as the $200 premium extra would suggest, and while premiums are paid for premium products, the plastic shell design doesn’t exactly color me impressed. Same goes for comfort and isolation – those are great, but in return there are a moderate amount of microphonics, and fit hasn’t been the easiest for me either. Great selection of tips, but all 6 silicone pairs are stiff, and half the tips are downright annoying to attach to the nozzle. And on, and on.

What I’m feeling here is a great product – held back by some issues. Aside from the tuning, all other problems I’ve been facing could be improved on, quite easily. Tips are obviously the easiest to fix. The plastic shell could not have that glossy layer that perhaps gives it the underwhelming look. The wizard design could have an extra layer of gloss and more sparkle that does make it more gem-like in appearance. Give the cable an outer sheath – it’ll reduce microphonics that way.

At $800 (or $600 for the base model, either way), The Savant is at a very hard price to justify. The design and sound both left me feeling underwhelmed, but it does do its job well as an isolating headphone with a smooth sound. If you’re willing to dish out a premium for great comfort and isolation, and a balanced sound, then the Savant just might be for you. If you’re looking for your dream headphone, or one that’s a league ahead of lower-priced equipment, you might want to try the Savant out in person first.

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #659 of 928
I 100% agree with the issue of the tips I find these headphones to be very goofy and hard to get a good seal with. That is the biggest complaint I've had with these. I'm hoping spinfits will help or I may try to get them reshelled.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #660 of 928
  I 100% agree with the issue of the tips I find these headphones to be very goofy and hard to get a good seal with. That is the biggest complaint I've had with these. I'm hoping spinfits will help or I may try to get them reshelled.

As we talked about this issue in Inearz thread, it all comes down to an individual ear anatomy
wink.gif
  I have tried/tested multiple dozens of universal and custom IEMs, and still highly regard Savant as having one of the top most comfortable fitments (along with Westones and Oriveti) and having one of the best passive isolation (among universal IEMs, with a right eartip selection).  Of course, it's very subjective and relative to my ears.  Sometime I just reach out to grab Savant as an earplug to drown out the noise my kids make in the house
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back