Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #29,656 of 36,038

Reread it, he says IF they come as a CIEM, IF.....he would be all over it.

Apple would probably be elated to know that the Khan does not fit within the Apple biosphere, as that is pretty much the ethos of Apple.

That being said, the current work around is

Use a Noble lightning cable or use a DAC upgrade. We haven't tested all DACs on the market, but it is known the Dragonfly Red works.

As for a reviewer not commenting on the Khans performance while tethered to an I-phone

That would be like commenting on the performance of the latest Porsche shod with wagon wheels.

The Khan is a purpose built music monitor and reviewers may look upon the use of a phone to evaluate the performance of high end audio gear as more of a novice approach.

As for a CIEM Khan, the likelihood is slim, as the bass driver is pretty big.

Word is....

The Khan sold out in Korea on the day of the launch.
I consider that the iPhone is an exceptional source.

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #29,658 of 36,038
And I am (and probably quite a few others) eagerly awaiting the announcement of the availability of the custom option.
I really don't think it is going to happen from what John had consistently said. In fact I consider that review to be pretty misleading on several counts.

Mar 15, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #29,661 of 36,038

"Khan is currently only available in universal format, but I have been told they’re working hard to make it into a CIEM too."
Your right.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #29,662 of 36,038
Apple would probably be elated to know that the Khan does not fit within the Apple biosphere, as that is pretty much the ethos of Apple.

That being said, the current work around is

Use a Noble lightning cable or use a DAC upgrade. We haven't tested all DACs on the market, but it is known the Dragonfly Red works.

As for a reviewer not commenting on the Khans performance while tethered to an I-phone

That would be like commenting on the performance of the latest Porsche shod with wagon wheels.

The Khan is a purpose built music monitor and reviewers may look upon the use of a phone to evaluate the performance of high end audio gear as more of a novice approach.

As for a CIEM Khan, the likelihood is slim, as the bass driver is pretty big.

Word is....

The Khan sold out in Korea on the day of the launch.

Yup. Khan sold out in a day (like the Rai Penta).

@meomap not sure how many there were though... I could be completely wrong here, but I remember someone saying Noble’s MOQ is 10(?) so maybe something like that. (Oddly there’ve only been like 3(?) posts on it. A bit different from when there were a ton of posts on the RP, but that’s not necessarily indicative of anything)

Mar 16, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #29,664 of 36,038
this makes no sense

I agree that part doesn't really make much sense, but I also don't really have a problem with a reviewer not trying out the Khan with an iPhone (or other smartphone).
In fact, I'd be more surprised if a reviewer at a big review site did try that combination.

I wish they did, since not everyone is running around with a SP1000, WM1Z, or Plenue L, but that's just how it is I guess.

My personal opinion is that an IEM (unlike a headphone) should be expected to play nicely with most/all portable sources, which, by definition, includes the iPhone/S10/V40/whatever, and its frustrating when IEMs come out that don't.
It's actually not very common, and it's not even a complete dealbreaker if the value proposition is good enough, as I decided it was with the Andromeda (had background noise with a direct connection to an iPhone 6S Plus), but can be frustrating nonetheless.

When I go audition the Khan, I'll make sure to at least try it out of the iPhone/ES100/Nano iDSD in addition to the usual Hugo2 setup that I like.

Mar 16, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #29,665 of 36,038
I agree that part doesn't really make much sense, but I also don't really have a problem with a reviewer not trying out the Khan with an iPhone (or other smartphone).
In fact, I'd be more surprised if a reviewer at a big review site did try that combination.

I wish they did, since not everyone is running around with a SP1000, WM1Z, or Plenue L, but that's just how it is I guess.

My personal opinion is that an IEM (unlike a headphone) should be expected to play nicely with most/all portable sources, which, by definition, includes the iPhone/S10/V40/whatever, and its frustrating when IEMs come out that don't.
It's actually not very common, and it's not even a complete dealbreaker if the value proposition is good enough, as I decided it was with the Andromeda (had background noise with a direct connection to an iPhone 6S Plus), but can be frustrating nonetheless.

When I go audition the Khan, I'll make sure to at least try it out of the iPhone/ES100/Nano iDSD in addition to the usual Hugo2 setup that I like.
I agree. A reviewer should try the combination with a cell phone. Does no one use them to listen to movies while travelling or at the gym? There are times when convenience plays a very large role. And based on some of the comments here, others feel the same way.
In my home audio system I have always felt that speakers play the largest role in the quality of the sound that I hear. I feel the same way with IEM’s. Of course sources, amps and preamps make a difference as well, I just hear the speakers used making the largest difference. When incompatibilities exist it helps to know about them. Tks.

Mar 16, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #29,666 of 36,038
I think its a sign for me and Noble.

20190316-112418.jpg

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #29,667 of 36,038

An Iem yes but a 2500$ iem as well? I never used my encore with a phone... also as Apple user it is thing of the past:)

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #29,668 of 36,038
An Iem yes but a 2500$ iem as well? I never used my encore with a phone... also as Apple user it is thing of the past:)
I own a custom Encore, and yes I use it with my iPhone as well. I also use it with my Hugo 2. And by the way, it sounds very good with the iPhone. The Hugo 2 sounds better, but the difference is not as great as switching from an Andromeda to the Encore. And I do not care to travel with my Hugo 2. As Wata told me, I need a good DAP, but I still will use my phone while watching movies, etc. while travelling. So my IEM needs to work with my phone as well. Tks.

Mar 16, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #29,669 of 36,038
I own a custom Encore, and yes I use it with my iPhone as well. I also use it with my Hugo 2. And by the way, it sounds very good with the iPhone. The Hugo 2 sounds better, but the difference is not as great as switching from an Andromeda to the Encore. And I do not care to travel with my Hugo 2. As Wata told me, I need a good DAP, but I still will use my phone while watching movies, etc. while travelling. So my IEM needs to work with my phone as well. Tks.

Great news, the Noble lightening cable will allow you to do so, dongle free.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 16, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #29,670 of 36,038
Great news, the Noble lightening cable will allow you to do so, dongle free.
Yes. Then he won't be able to use the Khan with his Hugo. Unless he changes cable which iirc is not advised on a regular basis. Plus it's a PITA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back