Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #29,641 of 36,038
So not sure how much has been explained regarding the whole Khan - iPhone issues... so a quick summary from my local distributor:

1. Khan does not work with the Apple Lightning-3.5mm adapter (significant background noise). However, there aren't any issues with the 3.5mm jack on Apple devices, meaning that for anyone with a 6s Plus or older phone, the Khan works perfectly fine.
For iPhone 7 (or newer) users, this issue can be fixed by using a 2-pin Lightning cable (like the one Noble offers) OR by using an in-line amplifier like the Dragonfly Red.

2. Khan sometimes has issues with Android-based smartphones. This occurs when the phone is used for anything else other than listening to music (e.g. if you get a call while listening to music). However, the severity of this issue can vary pretty significantly between devices and applications.

The above two issues are believed to be an issue regarding insufficient voltage for the piezoelectric driver. While modifying the Khan could fix the problem, Noble will not be making any changes because of possible adverse effects on the sound.

Basically, Korean consumers have been told that the solution is to use the aforementioned Lightning cable/Dragonfly Red, and that Noble will not accept any returns for the smartphone compatibility issue. (Because of this, the distributor has decided to supply a free Dragonfly Red to everyone purchasing the Khan. We're responsible for getting the Lightning-USB adapter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Official release is tomorrow, so price is TBA. I think it'll be officially priced around 2800 USD, with membership/launch promotions bringing it down to somewhere in the $2400~2600 range. Guess I'll have a better idea of what my next IEM addition will be after this weekend!

Mar 14, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #29,642 of 36,038
The Khan is now reviewed on Headfonia
https://www.headfonia.com/noble-audio-khan-review/

noble-audio-khan-6.jpg

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #29,645 of 36,038
I'm... not sure what the difference is there. There isn't (and won't be) an option here to get the Khan without the Dragonfly Red, and there isn't supposed to be a price change to reflect the added amp/dac.

FWIW, whether or not I end up with one (and I hope I do, given my lack of Noble IEMs), I think they made the right choice.
Potential buyers seem a bit hesitant because of the delay and the imperfect solution, but if they audition it and like it, I doubt there will be any lasting problem there since the distributor got on top of things quickly.
If they had launched on time and without the makeshift Dragonfly Red addition... I could definitely imagine a situation in which the backlash would've been unmanageable.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #29,646 of 36,038
OH crap KHAN IS NOW AVAILABLE

And cheaper than expected :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Official price is just around $2700
Launch promotion brings it down to $2300
(And at the dealer I go to, membership pricing after the launch sale will be just around $2400, so in line with official US prices)

I’m sure Dragonfly Red used prices will drop a bit with the increased availability, but even as a ~$100 add-on, that’s not bad.

Overall, it’s ~15% more than Z1R and ~15% less than Trinity (who knows what Solaris will cost at this point), which isn’t that much in the big scheme of things. May the best IEM win :)

Mar 15, 2019 at 4:05 AM Post #29,647 of 36,038
I don't quite get this Dragonfly solution. A device that only works with iPhone if you use that effing clunky CCK. Why not use the Noble lightning cable of that solves the problem??
Regarding that Headphonia review. It states that Noble is working on a custom version of Khan. John has said that this would be impossible.
I find it unhelpful to say the least that the iPhone issue is not mentioned.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 4:59 AM Post #29,648 of 36,038
I don't quite get this Dragonfly solution. A device that only works with iPhone if you use that effing clunky CCK. Why not use the Noble lightning cable of that solves the problem??
Regarding that Headphonia review. It states that Noble is working on a custom version of Khan. John has said that this would be impossible.

I imagine it was the solution the distributor offered because the Khan also has issues with Android devices. Nobody’s happy that the issue remains, and I’m sure people are being a bit more cautious with getting the Khan, but at least a couple people here seem to have taken the leap of faith.

If the reviews/demos are good, I imagine sales here should pick up. In an alternate universe where the distributor didn’t offer the solution? Could’ve had a situation where the first few reviews come back as “Noble can’t even make an IEM that’s usable with smartphones” and respect for the brand goes down the drain.

Mar 15, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #29,649 of 36,038
I imagine it was the solution the distributor offered because the Khan also has issues with Android devices. Nobody’s happy that the issue remains, and I’m sure people are being a bit more cautious with getting the Khan, but at least a couple people here seem to have taken the leap of faith.

If the reviews/demos are good, I imagine sales here should pick up. In an alternate universe where the distributor didn’t offer the solution? Could’ve had a situation where the first few reviews come back as “Noble can’t even make an IEM that’s usable with smartphones” and respect for the brand goes down the drain.
Maybe an option of the lightning cable for Apple customers would have demonstrated that it was a complete solution. I guess it would mean that I would have to make a choice between using with my phone or using it with my Mojo. Hmmmm.

Mar 15, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #29,651 of 36,038
Just thinking... If the Noble Lightning cable is used, does that mean there is an internal DAC in the iPhone or in the cable?

DAC/amp in the cable.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #29,652 of 36,038
5B3E50FE-0597-4681-81B5-8D7F85C071D9.png

Reread it, he says IF they come as a CIEM, IF.....he would be all over it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #29,653 of 36,038
Apple would probably be elated to know that the Khan does not fit within the Apple biosphere, as that is pretty much the ethos of Apple.

That being said, the current work around is

Use a Noble lightning cable or use a DAC upgrade. We haven't tested all DACs on the market, but it is known the Dragonfly Red works.

As for a reviewer not commenting on the Khans performance while tethered to an I-phone

That would be like commenting on the performance of the latest Porsche shod with wagon wheels.

The Khan is a purpose built music monitor and reviewers may look upon the use of a phone to evaluate the performance of high end audio gear as more of a novice approach.

As for a CIEM Khan, the likelihood is slim, as the bass driver is pretty big.

Screenshot_20190315-221621_Google.jpg

Word is....

The Khan sold out in Korea on the day of the launch.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #29,654 of 36,038
Apple would probably be elated to know that the Khan does not fit within the Apple biosphere, as that is pretty much the ethos of Apple.

That being said, the current work around is

Use a Noble lightning cable or use a DAC upgrade. We haven't tested all DACs on the market, but it is known the Dragonfly Red works.

As for a reviewer not commenting on the Khans performance while tethered to an I-phone

That would be like commenting on the performance of the latest Porsche shod with wagon wheels.

The Khan is a purpose built music monitor and reviewers may look upon the use of a phone to evaluate the performance of high end audio gear as more of a novice approach.

As for a CIEM Khan, the likelihood is slim, as the bass driver is pretty big.

Word is....

The Khan sold out in Korea on the day of the launch.

Hi,
Sold out?
How many total are we talking about, in the thousand?

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #29,655 of 36,038

Reread it, he says IF they come as a CIEM, IF.....he would be all over it.

"Khan is currently only available in universal format, but I have been told they’re working hard to make it into a CIEM too."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back