Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Mar 14, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #27,138 of 36,039
I happened to be on the thread when you posted it so I went ahead and read it. I appreciated the comparison between amp 1 and amp 3 as I own both of those amps as well.

Thanks again, and you're most welcome!
I wish I could have done a more thorough review, with comparisons, sound signature analysis, charts and whatnot, but I don't have access to any other TOTL IEM's and charts and technical analysis are really not my forte (at least not in the field of audio lol).
I'm just a humble Layman on my audiophile journey like most of us, but glad you found it helpful :)

Mar 14, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #27,140 of 36,039
@Layman1: Reading your review now with great interest, not least because the Katanas were in the running before I went in for the Kaisers.

I particularly enjoyed your reference to Human Traffic and your assessment of Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing.” (Indeed I am among the many who has the song always at the ready for auditioning as well as regular listening).

Once I’m done with the Certified Cicerone exam next month I can then compose my own revoew of the K10UAs. I think I’d go mad without at least discussing all things Noble Audio and TOTL audio here in between spending every other waking minute consuming everything about beer (except for actually drinking it!) :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:19 AM Post #27,141 of 36,039
@Layman1: Reading your review now with great interest, not least because the Katanas were in the running before I went in for the Kaisers.

I particularly enjoyed your reference to Human Traffic and your assessment of Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing.” (Indeed I am among the many who has the song always at the ready for auditioning as well as regular listening).

Once I’m done with the Certified Cicerone exam next month I can then compose my own revoew of the K10UAs. I think I’d go mad without at least discussing all things Noble Audio and TOTL audio here in between spending every other waking minute consuming everything about beer (except for actually drinking it!) :)

Thank you very much! Fascinating about your Certified Cicerone exam! I had to look that one up, but it all makes sense now :)
(For those still wondering, and based on what I quickly checked online, it's a qualification to do with beer - the serving and tasting thereof and the industry as a whole. Seems analogous to taking qualifications as a Sommelier for wine). I trained as a Barista in the past, so I can relate. There's so much more to it than people tend to realise, and just like with being an audiophile, the increase of knowledge tends to lead to a better enjoyment of the final product :)

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #27,142 of 36,039
@Layman1: Reading your review now ... I particularly enjoyed your reference to Human Traffic and your assessment of Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing.” (Indeed I am among the many who has the song always at the ready for auditioning as well as regular listening)

Oh, and it's always nice when people 'get' you! Thanks for this :)

Regarding the review, one of the main reasons for the 4.5 stars is that, whilst I think the Katana is outstanding, I don't for one moment believe that, in the Katana (or Encore), @FullCircle has reached the pinnacle of what he can achieve. I'm very interested and excited to see what he will come up with next, and in the coming years.
I regard him as a true craftsman with a passion for what he does, and I am confident that he's going to produce IEM's that will make even great ones like the Katana seem ordinary in comparison :)

Personally, I'm really hoping for a hybrid TOTL model, since I love the effects on the sound and the technical qualities that a dynamic driver can bring, especially in conjunction with balanced armatures!
But, let's see. I wait with interest, as do many others on here, I'm sure :wink:

Mar 15, 2018 at 7:56 PM Post #27,147 of 36,039
@Layman1: I just love Human Traffic. It’s so cheesy in the best way possible.

Have you seen It’s All Gone Pete Tong? It’s brilliant!

Indeed beer is as much in my blood as music is, and you’re right when you say both hobbies / sensory indulgences are so much for the better when one acquires a bit of knowledge.

Moreover, beer has the edgevover wine imo as the breadth and depth of beer is so much more expansive. A beer can taste like a wine but not vice versa. A Belgian witbier is miles away from an American barleywine.

It’s funny too how beer lovers assume wine drinkers would enjoy sour beers by default, and most wine lovers detest sour beers (probably because it’s expected by default they’d like them). Pretty asinine on both parts methinks. :p

Anyhoo I’d be inclined to give the K10s a 5 from 5 as they handle everything with aplomb. Are they perfect? For now, in this moment in time, I’d like to say so. Admittedly I miss the bass quantity of the Shures sometimes but there are several other aspects of the K10s’ low-end presentation that have even greater wow factor. They certainly bring the rumble when it’s called for.

Mar 15, 2018 at 11:54 PM Post #27,148 of 36,039
@Layman1: I just love Human Traffic. It’s so cheesy in the best way possible.

Have you seen It’s All Gone Pete Tong? It’s brilliant!

Indeed beer is as much in my blood as music is, and you’re right when you say both hobbies / sensory indulgences are so much for the better when one acquires a bit of knowledge.

Moreover, beer has the edgevover wine imo as the breadth and depth of beer is so much more expansive. A beer can taste like a wine but not vice versa. A Belgian witbier is miles away from an American barleywine.

It’s funny too how beer lovers assume wine drinkers would enjoy sour beers by default, and most wine lovers detest sour beers (probably because it’s expected by default they’d like them). Pretty asinine on both parts methinks. :p

Anyhoo I’d be inclined to give the K10s a 5 from 5 as they handle everything with aplomb. Are they perfect? For now, in this moment in time, I’d like to say so. Admittedly I miss the bass quantity of the Shures sometimes but there are several other aspects of the K10s’ low-end presentation that have even greater wow factor. They certainly bring the rumble when it’s called for.
67FDB9FD-5A56-4C53-890A-F5CCBDB123D4.jpeg

Listening to the new Priest in HD was quite the Encore experience last night. Always hearing little production details in the old albums, so it was nice to hear something new!

Mar 16, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #27,150 of 36,039
I’ll have a listen :).

(I can’t believe Judas Priest didn’t choose Ralph Scheepers as their replacement vocalist for Rob Halford all those years ago).
Andy Sneap is their new tour guitarist. So now the double guitar GODs of KK Downing and Glen Tipton are no more. Though Sneap will bring a lot to the table. He is single handedly one of the greatest metal album producers who ever lived, producing more than 100 albums. The sound he gets has been a subject of reflection for some time, let’s hope he has production and guitar parts on the next record!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Sneap

Users who are viewing this thread

Back