Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #27,016 of 36,040
Finally got a chance to retrieve the CIEM Encores today. Perfect fit for my ears. Relieved that the audiologist did such a great job with the impressions the first time around! She didn’t have a bite block but assured me that she would tell me when to open my mouth slightly during the congealing process in order to simulate the block.

How long do people anticipate burn in takes on these? Currently, they sound excellent directly to the iPhone X with some minor distortion in the high mid-range of voices and murkiness in the higher low-end of voices. Overall they are quite neutral, which is what I prefer when listening to music. Keep in mind, these are just initial “out-of-the-box” impressions.

The fit is perfect. These are definitely not slipping out of my ears, and they’re not uncomfortably pressurized in my ear canal. Looking forward to plugging them into the Hugo2 and WA8 when I have some free time.

Any pics?

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #27,017 of 36,040
Any pics?

I’d have to take them out of my ears to take pics. That’s not going to happen for awhile today... :L3000:

I’ll defintely post some later.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #27,018 of 36,040
976F57F5-E318-4874-A40C-20CE86CD589B.jpeg
Here’s one in ear. :)

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #27,019 of 36,040
Got to say, I love when I can hear the analog noise floor hiss of old master tape on good speakers/headphones/earbuds at the beginning and ends of songs. Something so satisfying about it. Can totally pick it up with these CIEMs. :beerchug:

I can pick it up on the studio songs of Allman Brothers Eat A Peach album. I’m guessing the noise floor sound reminds me of the anticipation of hearing new songs on vinyl when I was a kid in the 70s and 80s.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #27,021 of 36,040
Well balanced drivers. They get out of the way and let the recordings do their magic. I got plenty of goosebumps and chills listening to songs from Jeff Buckley’s Grace, Natalie Merchant’s Tigerlily, David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust, Clapton Unplugged, Nora Jones’s Come Away With Me, and Daft Punk’s Random Access Memories and Discovery.

I don’t think I could ever go back to regular earbuds after this... lol

Only downside is you can’t sing along to music because of the perfect vacuum seal. You can’t really hear yourself.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #27,022 of 36,040
Have to say, with live recordings, like Pearl Jam, this is the closest I’ve heard to the real experience of shows I’ve actually been to before.

Speakers don’t do live shows justice, IME, because they spread it out unrealistically between two or five+ speakers in a way that speakers at concerts don’t. These CIEMs feel like what it’s like to be at the concert. Immersed in the sound from all directions of the venue speakers.

If anyone is a fan and has these CIEMs, download Hartford 2013 and put on Better Man. That’s exactly what it sounded like near the stage!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #27,023 of 36,040
Have to say, with live recordings, like Pearl Jam, this is the closest I’ve heard to the real experience of shows I’ve actually been to before.

Speakers don’t do live shows justice, IME, because they spread it out unrealistically between two or five+ speakers in a way that speakers at concerts don’t. These CIEMs feel like what it’s like to be at the concert. Immersed in the sound from all directions of the venue speakers.

If anyone is a fan and has these CIEMs, download Hartford 2013 and put on Better Man. That’s exactly what it sounded like near the stage!
Don't wish to be a killjoy but no headphone or IEM can recreate the visceral feeling of being at a gig. IMHO

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #27,024 of 36,040
Don't wish to be a killjoy but no headphone or IEM can recreate the visceral feeling of being at a gig. IMHO

For sure. This is the closest I’ve heard reproduction-wise of Pearl Jam, at least in terms of overall sound. A heavy duty subwoofer surround setup might get closer to the visceral feel.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #27,025 of 36,040
For sure. This is the closest I’ve heard reproduction-wise of Pearl Jam, at least in terms of overall sound. A heavy duty subwoofer surround setup might get closer to the visceral feel.
Yup can't beat that vibration punching your chest and the air from the subs under the stage. :)

Feb 20, 2018 at 6:15 PM Post #27,026 of 36,040
But if I have to pee, my bathroom is right there! :ksc75smile:

Feb 20, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #27,027 of 36,040
But if I have to pee, my bathroom is right there! :ksc75smile:

Which is a HUGE plus in my opinion. I've been to the Reading Festival a few times and trying to find a bathroom to pee there mainly relies on luck, how far you are prepared to walk, your views on cleanliness, and on occasion. Bribery.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2018 at 2:23 AM Post #27,028 of 36,040
Using my new Linum SuperBax on the commute to work and it is very flexible which is nice. I can't say that I noticed a difference in sound from the stock cable to be honest. Overall much more comfortable though. My only gripe is that the chin slider slips down too easily but I will fix that in a bit with some clear dental bands so not really a problem. Oh it is also a tad springy but as it is so thin it isn't really an issue.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #27,030 of 36,040
Listened to the Bell this morning, after a little burn-in (why not?). A bit brighter, the bass seemed a little more controlled than the velvet for a more balanced version of the sound. I do like the metallic shells. Overall, first impressions are good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back