Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 16, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #26,656 of 36,036
Running commentary impressions of the Noble Katana and K10s

First and foremost, these things are a bugger to get a good fit and seal. These will probably need a re-audition, but I don’t want to takeliberties with the good folk over at Addicted to Audio.

For now though these large foamies of unknown provenance will do.

So, in for a penny in for a pound.

Gai Barone: Love Stimulation

The first thing that becomes apparent is there is enough sub-bass to support most electronic music (as evidenced by way of preceding tracks in John 00 Fleming’s JOOF Editions vol. 3). This track specifically doesn’t have a huge baseline, so what’s left is a very bright track indeed.

Bright though it may be, it doesn’t cross the red line into sibilance. The soaring piano led melody is like gazing westwards as the sun sets, the sun not yet aggressively and glaringly at eye level.

But the sky is still shimmeringly blue. I yearn for the glorious multicoloured hued palette of the lower midrange.

Pinch RA Podcast (RA.247)

Electronic music is as dependent upon mids as it is bass. But for now I figured I’d test the lowest of the lows with some real bass music. That which is best suited to the tube’s Misery Line: RA.247: Pinch.

Only at high volumes do the spinal basslines found within this mix’s various tracks come to the fore. That being said elevated bass notes slam with authority. This could in fact be a deal breaker. I am after all looking for bass texture throughout.

To that end perhaps I should be looking at the K10s or Encores.

It has to be said the upper treble department does shimmer with immense detail.

So ultimately the Katanas are a superb earphone, but they are not the best match for my musical tastes. As per the premise. Listening to Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” its every last detail shimmering like the sun over the sea it all became clear.

If you like sailing under clear blue skies, the Katanas are for you. If however you like to sit overlooking the bay just before last light, the last deep blues and pinks gliding across the horizon, beer in hand; the K10s are for you.

They’re definitely the ones for me too.

I couldn’t help but strap myself in for another ride with the Kaiser K10s...

To my mind these are the kaiser, king, emperor, all conquering overlords of detail. Only their reign has a death count of zero... They are kings that come in peace.

Dire Straits: “Sultans of Swing”

The first thing I notice with K10s engaged is they have a delightful soundstage that’s as enveloping as it is extensive. It pops out way out wide, such that all of a sudden I have 180° peripheral vision!

Every detail pops, shimmers, attacks and decays with musical authority. Mark Knofler’s voice sounds as it should: centre stage in every sense. Indeed, the golden hued sunset has skipped nightfall altogether and it’s dawn forever more.

Gai Barone: “Love Stimulation”

Bass rumbles. Suddenly dawn here is all thundery. Lightning crashes over the distant horizon with shimmering colour (but not necessarily coloured - in a colouration sense). Warmth carasses from below. That desired lower midrange: it’s right here.

The piano-led crescendo sits at surface level where it belongs while the powerfully emotive, bittersweet synth soars into the heavens above. There is enough sprite-like treble, certainly enough to keep me happy.

RA.247: Pinch

Now I’m in the thundercloud itself. This thing is threatening to become a supercell. There is enough at every level of the spectrum, but the K10s are more than equal to the most important element of this music: the sub bass.

Highs add real atmosphere too.

Anjunadeep 08 (Disc1): Mixed by James Grant

Where am I...? Is this real...? Oh yes, it’s very real. I’m in the stratosphere. A densely layered haze of intricate baselines; a warm and slightly sweet midrange and kaleidoscopic shimmering highs.

In the bass department, this is the layered experience I’m looking for! This is where the K10s beat the Shure SE846s hands down.

Suddenly a violin enters the picture as one track segues to the next. It sounds so palpably real it is almost tear inducing. The kick drum below is boomy, but it’s a textured, inoffensive, reinforcing boom.

The violin fades away... My Shures never did that!

Female vocals enter. Airy, powerful, personal and impassioned. With the Shures they are merely there. Just. There.

All the while I’m tapping my foot. This is true musicality. This can only come with instrument separation as well as my preferred lower-midrange oriented sound signature.

The soundstage is one that has a wide horizon and a 3D, almost circumpolar effect. It’s up, down, all around and beyond the head. It’s not hard to imagine returning to the beach and sitting there with the sound all around. What I once thought to be a sort of imaging.

Devin Townsend: “Sister” / “person”

From prog house/trance to prog metal and from distant thunder of the imagination to the real, recorded thing.

It sounds so real! The Shures never quite seemed to pull off thunder’s densely layered tapestry of bass notes. Impressive.

person’s highly distorted guitars come in with equally textured prowess. In fact this thing is textured throughout in truly magnificent fashion. It’s open, lively and revealing. It also demonstrates just how far behind the SE846s are in the treble department.

And I just love how vocals sound with the K10s too.

Machine Head: “Now We Die”

Here things get interesting. I must say I prefer the 846s’ darker presentation with this sort of metal. But I’m loving the detail and aggression. A middle ground is needed!

Clutch: “A Quick Death In Texas”

The 846s could never quite handle bluesy rock. The K10s handle it with aplomb! The overall quickness then the decay from the guitars is something to behold. And all that with the perfect texture throughout.

Other tracks auditioned which sound incredible

Mike Oldfield: “The Bell” / “Weightless”

Pink Floyd: “It’s What We Do”

Bob Holroyd: “Autumn Leaves”

Shimmering detail. It’s as alluring as watching the bubbles of a freshly poured pilsner.

Dave Clarke @ ADE

Huge bass, but the closeness of the 846s’ sound lends itself better to this sort of hard loopy techno.

Happa: “Bring It Back”

Taken from FabricLive: Fake Blood

Huge bassline here. Big room house sounds great with K10s!

I can’t help but wonder what the K10s sound like when measured up against the Encores.

The K10s were auditioned with a green hued firm silicone tip, also of unknown provenance. Both were auditioned with my iPhone 7 with Onkyo HF Player app. Tracks varied from standard FLAC down to 320 and 256 kpbs audio (nothing lower).

With thanks to Addicted to Audio, Melbourne, for allowing me to audition both the K10s and Katanas. I must say when all said and done I’m sold on the K10s, but rather sadly they only have the one demo pair left. I won’t be ready to purchase until February.

*I’m legally blind and only have 10° peripheral vision.

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:51 AM Post #26,657 of 36,036

First and foremost, these things are a bugger to get a good fit and seal. These will probably need a re-audition, but I don’t want to takeliberties with the good folk over at Addicted to Audio.

The first thing that becomes apparent is there is enough sub-bass to support most electronic music (as evidenced by way of preceding tracks in John 00 Fleming’s JOOF Editions vol. 3). This track specifically doesn’t have a huge baseline, so what’s left is a very bright track indeed.

Bright though it may be, it doesn’t cross the red line into sibilance. The soaring piano led melody is like gazing westwards as the sun sets, the sun not yet aggressively and glaringly at eye level.

But the sky is still shimmeringly blue. I yearn for the glorious multicoloured hued palette of the lower midrange.

Electronic music is as dependent upon mids as it is bass. But for now I figured I’d test the lowest of the lows with some real bass music. That which is best suited to the tube’s Misery Line: RA.247: Pinch.

Only at high volumes do the spinal basslines found within this mix’s various tracks come to the fore. That being said elevated bass notes slam with authority. This could in fact be a deal breaker. I am after all looking for bass texture throughout.

So ultimately the Katanas are a superb earphone, but they are not the best match for my musical tastes. As per the premise. Listening to Dire Straits’ “Sultans of Swing,” its every last detail shimmering like the sun over the sea it all became clear.

If you like sailing under clear blue skies, the Katanas are for you. If however you like to sit overlooking the bay just before last light, the last deep blues and pinks gliding across the horizon, beer in hand; the K10s are for you.

To my mind these are the kaiser, king, emperor, all conquering overlords of detail. Only their reign has a death count of zero... They are kings that come in peace.

The first thing I notice with K10s engaged is they have a delightful soundstage that’s as enveloping as it is extensive. It pops out way out wide, such that all of a sudden I have 180° peripheral vision!

Every detail pops, shimmers, attacks and decays with musical authority. Mark Knofler’s voice sounds as it should: centre stage in every sense. Indeed, the golden hued sunset has skipped nightfall altogether and it’s dawn forever more.

Bass rumbles. Suddenly dawn here is all thundery. Lightning crashes over the distant horizon with shimmering colour (but not necessarily coloured - in a colouration sense). Warmth carasses from below. That desired lower midrange: it’s right here.

The piano-led crescendo sits at surface level where it belongs while the powerfully emotive, bittersweet synth soars into the heavens above. There is enough sprite-like treble, certainly enough to keep me happy.

Now I’m in the thundercloud itself. This thing is threatening to become a supercell. There is enough at every level of the spectrum, but the K10s are more than equal to the most important element of this music: the sub bass.

Where am I...? Is this real...? Oh yes, it’s very real. I’m in the stratosphere. A densely layered haze of intricate baselines; a warm and slightly sweet midrange and kaleidoscopic shimmering highs.

In the bass department, this is the layered experience I’m looking for! This is where the K10s beat the Shure SE846s hands down.

Suddenly a violin enters the picture as one track segues to the next. It sounds so palpably real it is almost tear inducing. The kick drum below is boomy, but it’s a textured, inoffensive, reinforcing boom.

Female vocals enter. Airy, powerful, personal and impassioned. With the Shures they are merely there. Just. There.

All the while I’m tapping my foot. This is true musicality. This can only come with instrument separation as well as my preferred lower-midrange oriented sound signature.

The soundstage is one that has a wide horizon and a 3D, almost circumpolar effect. It’s up, down, all around and beyond the head. It’s not hard to imagine returning to the beach and sitting there with the sound all around. What I once thought to be a sort of imaging.

From prog house/trance to prog metal and from distant thunder of the imagination to the real, recorded thing.

It sounds so real! The Shures never quite seemed to pull off thunder’s densely layered tapestry of bass notes. Impressive.

person’s highly distorted guitars come in with equally textured prowess. In fact this thing is textured throughout in truly magnificent fashion. It’s open, lively and revealing. It also demonstrates just how far behind the SE846s are in the treble department.

Here things get interesting. I must say I prefer the 846s’ darker presentation with this sort of metal. But I’m loving the detail and aggression. A middle ground is needed!

The 846s could never quite handle bluesy rock. The K10s handle it with aplomb! The overall quickness then the decay from the guitars is something to behold. And all that with the perfect texture throughout.

Shimmering detail. It’s as alluring as watching the bubbles of a freshly poured pilsner.

Dave Clarke @ ADE

Huge bass, but the closeness of the 846s’ sound lends itself better to this sort of hard loopy techno.

I can’t help but wonder what the K10s sound like when measured up against the Encores.

The K10s were auditioned with a green hued firm silicone tip, also of unknown provenance. Both were auditioned with my iPhone 7 with Onkyo HF Player app. Tracks varied from standard FLAC down to 320 and 256 kpbs audio (nothing lower).

With thanks to Addicted to Audio, Melbourne, for allowing me to audition both the K10s and Katanas. I must say when all said and done I’m sold on the K10s, but rather sadly they only have the one demo pair left. I won’t be ready to purchase until February.

Very nice reviews. I take it when you talk about the K10 you mean the K10E AKA Encore?

Jan 16, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #26,659 of 36,036
On the noble website now

Screenshot_20180116-150555.jpg Screenshot_20180116-150555.jpg

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 16, 2018 at 4:07 AM Post #26,660 of 36,036

Dave Clarke @ ADE

Nice impressions! And great to hear that you found your concrete preference. Regarding fit, the Noble IEM's definitely require some experimentation but can fit very well with the right tip. I had great luck with the Final Audio E tips, they're similary to Spinfits but more acoustically transparent. JVC Spiral dots also work a treat if you prefer a brighter sound.

Jan 16, 2018 at 4:33 AM Post #26,661 of 36,036
Thanks krismusic and ryanjsoo. :)

Yup definitely found the sound I love although on reflection the outcome was never in doubt. :p

Methinks I’d be more than happy with the tips I used at A2A. The guys said there are bucketloads there but what’s bizarre is they worked with the K10s but not the Katanas.

The model auditioned was the red and white K10U rather than the K10E Encore just to carify. As I say there is only the demo pair left in stock of the former.

Jan 16, 2018 at 6:51 AM Post #26,662 of 36,036
Thanks krismusic and ryanjsoo. :)

Yup definitely found the sound I love although on reflection the outcome was never in doubt. :p

Methinks I’d be more than happy with the tips I used at A2A. The guys said there are bucketloads there but what’s bizarre is they worked with the K10s but not the Katanas.

The model auditioned was the red and white K10U rather than the K10E Encore just to carify. As I say there is only the demo pair left in stock of the former.
My bad for not reading properly! If you haven't heard the Encore then make sure that you do. IMHO everything that the K10 does but more in every department. Except perhaps midrange, which is very special on the K10. More clarity with the E and astonishing separation whilst maintaining coherence. Regarding fit, you cannot beat a custom fit plus the pleasure of owning a bespoke piece. I know resale is a problem but you won't want to sell them. :wink:

Jan 16, 2018 at 7:04 AM Post #26,663 of 36,036
Haha this is true, but that’s the next logical step. One I’ll be making once this freelance writing lark gets me somewhere. (Hopefully tongue planted not too firmly in cheek).

The mids drew me in like the first sip of something black and barrel-aged. No, enough of the beer references. ...Like walking through Melbourne’s Chinatown for the first time. I think I’m going from a basshead to a midhead.

I also hear the Encore’s bass is more relaxed and a bit more controlled? I think I might prefer it with a bit more oomph.

Perhaps I should wait to get back to Perth (home 1 of 2) to audition the Encores...

Jan 16, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #26,664 of 36,036
Haha this is true, but that’s the next logical step. One I’ll be making once this freelance writing lark gets me somewhere. (Hopefully tongue planted not too firmly in cheek).

The mids drew me in like the first sip of something black and barrel-aged. No, enough of the beer references. ...Like walking through Melbourne’s Chinatown for the first time. I think I’m going from a basshead to a midhead.

I also hear the Encore’s bass is more relaxed and a bit more controlled? I think I might prefer it with a bit more oomph.

Perhaps I should wait to get back to Perth (home 1 of 2) to audition the Encores...
Good luck with the writing. A little flowery but creative! A nice change from all the jargon.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #26,666 of 36,036
Thanks krismusic. :) I have been writing about craft beer going on three years and writing as a hobby on electronic music for several years prior to that, and things are finally starting to take off.

Well I’ve gone and done it... A pair of K10s is in the post for delivery today!!
Wow. That was decisive! I hope that you enjoy them as much as I enjoy my K10c. Got to be custom next time round I think. :wink:

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #26,668 of 36,036
Hi Guys,

Quick question about my ear impression mold before i sent it to Brannan for the ciem kanata.

Today i got my ear impression done but he didn't have any bite block left so he told em to bite on his ear checker handle (the one that check inside your ear).

Would that be good enough or does it have to be the exact bite block?

Hopefully the grand Wizard can give me an answer :)

best regards

Young

Users who are viewing this thread

Back