Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #26,626 of 36,038
Methinks I’ll need a full day there...

Besides Parliament underground station level sub-bass I have music ranging from Neil Young to Mike Oldfield and from Amorphis to James Zabiela. So I guess it’s a matter of finding the best fit while also assessing from what I’m missing from the SE846s that have me contemplating an upgrade.
Did you try searching this thread? There may be some comparisons with the Shure, many pages back.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #26,627 of 36,038
keep in mind that Noble does not offer reshells (to the second owner) to their ciems anymore if you decide to sell them , thus making them much harder for you to re-sell or you will have to sell them extra cheap for people who may decide to have them reshelled somewhere else (by someone who isn't Noble)

this is a good business move for Noble profit-wise ( not having used noble ciems reshelled by them = more new noble ciems bought) but a bad move for you if you decide to sell them

cheers

It always humors me when I read comments about nobles business decisions, as if my phone and e mails have been hacked by Russians

The fact of the matter is ending OTS didn't move the needle, just as ending SLA ciems didn't move the needle either. If we don't find something to be a worth while endeavor we end it, sorry to disappoint, no graphs, and no math was required to come to that decision.

But you are right, if one sells their ciem, one should expect to lose a good bit of money, and that is true with any ciem brand, deprciation of ciems isn't a unique problem to noble.

Folks are more than welcome to purchase our universal products.to help stave off some depreciation.

Last edited:
Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 4, 2018 at 12:46 PM Post #26,629 of 36,038
Basically, if you buy older used set.
Actually it's the opposite. Noble will honour the second owner reshell option for older sets that were sold with that undertaking in place. They no longer offer this service for CIEM's sold more recently.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #26,633 of 36,038
A few unexpected takeaways:

I do a lot of walking which on a hot day (of which there are many down this end of the planet) is as bad as workong out. I have always been suspicious that it’s not helped the condition of my 846s. I’ll certainly consider the Encores if they offer more durability over the K10s. The family lives underneath the busiest light air traffic corridor in the world apparently (most certainly evidently)...

It’s amazing to see some people believe the Shure SE846 to be mediocre. Not too long ago they were the class leading UIEM, those readily available from retailers anyway. They have a lot to offer, especially bassheads. Hey, not everyone likes barleywines and imperial stouts (or big bottom end heavy sound in other words).

It’s now clear they have been swiftly overtaken. Forgive me for the beer references - it’s kind of my thing - but it’s time to step up from Bourbon County or Founders Backwoods person to a much finer, nuanced and sophisticated oaked Belgian tripel.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #26,635 of 36,038
A few unexpected takeaways:

I do a lot of walking which on a hot day (of which there are many down this end of the planet) is as bad as workong out. I have always been suspicious that it’s not helped the condition of my 846s. I’ll certainly consider the Encores if they offer more durability over the K10s. The family lives underneath the busiest light air traffic corridor in the world apparently (most certainly evidently)...

It’s amazing to see some people believe the Shure SE846 to be mediocre. Not too long ago they were the class leading UIEM, those readily available from retailers anyway. They have a lot to offer, especially bassheads. Hey, not everyone likes barleywines and imperial stouts (or big bottom end heavy sound in other words).

It’s now clear they have been swiftly overtaken. Forgive me for the beer references - it’s kind of my thing - but it’s time to step up from Bourbon County or Founders Backwoods person to a much finer, nuanced and sophisticated oaked Belgian tripel.

At addicted to Audio the price difference between K10 regular vs encore is very small, I think it's a no brainier right now to get the newer models. Durability would be the same. I have no doubts on Nobel construction/durability, i've been using older acrylic Savants for about 1.5 year and the shells are still great, this includes walking around 45 minutes a day and chucking them in my work bag unsured aftewards. Compared to my Roxannes FMJs, which have their cables unscrewing by themselves seem better suited for every day usage.

If your at that K10 price point, you might find isolation and sound better on the Roxanne if they fit your ears are better than Noble fit, but your ears will vary. I listen on very noisy buses, trains + walking about 45 minutes a day, and totally tune out to the world with the Roxanne's. I'm going there later today/tomorrow to do another comparison between k10e, k10ue, katanas, Campfire andromeda.

I had a massdrop order for k10 in progress but I gave up with the delays, and this price drop at AtA.

Jan 4, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #26,636 of 36,038
@trancer20: Please let us know your impressions. It looks like you have similar tastes to me given your username, especially if your idea of trance is of the John 00 Fleming variety.

I’m of the thinking the isolation provided by the Encore or Katana will be enough, even on Melbourne’s rattly AF Combino trams. From what FullCircle has said the Katanas might prove best for sleeping with too.

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #26,639 of 36,038
keep in mind that Noble does not offer reshells (to the second owner) to their ciems anymore if you decide to sell them , thus making them much harder for you to re-sell or you will have to sell them extra cheap for people who may decide to have them reshelled somewhere else (by someone who isn't Noble)

this is a good business move for Noble profit-wise ( not having used noble ciems reshelled by them = more new noble ciems bought) but a bad move for you if you decide to sell them

cheers
Well, he could always get a universal unit. That way, he could maximise whatever resale options he might have in the future.

I agree, there's always a risk when buying CIEMs - still, the upsides eclipse the downs more often than not.

Again, thankfully, Noble offers its customers a choice between custom and universal. :)

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2018 at 2:37 AM Post #26,640 of 36,038
MPB -> H2 -> c'Katana

QJG4P8gl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back