Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 1, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #9,466 of 36,038
HA-2 sounds like the better option because it'll save space if the amp and DAC are combined (I'm looking for portable, not a brick). And when you say "run down" do you mean battery life? If so, I don't really have a problem with that as I have a portable charger that I've never found use for.
So having proper tips would equate to the isolation of customs? I just don't want to lose any bass extension because of improper isolation. Only reason I'm not 100% on the customs is because my ear canals aren't done growing yet (and won't be for a while due to my age), so I don't want to need more than 2 refits until I reach that age. I have to go see an audiologist to get their opinion, though.

The proper size tips are going to work just like customs will. They will make that seal and keep the bass from leaking.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:20 AM Post #9,467 of 36,038
The proper size tips are going to work just like customs will. They will make that seal and keep the bass from leaking.

Awesome. I've never really given a **** about IEMs until I found out about the K10s, so I don't really know what to look for in tips. How should I choose which ones I get if the ones that Noble provides don't provide the proper fit and seal?

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #9,468 of 36,038
So having proper tips would equate to the isolation of customs? I just don't want to lose any bass extension because of improper isolation. Only reason I'm not 100% on the customs is because my ear canals aren't done growing yet (and won't be for a while due to my age), so I don't want to need more than 2 refits until I reach that age. I have to go see an audiologist to get their opinion, though.

Correct regarding isolation. In my experience with universals, I had to find the right tips, but I also had to get the positioning right each time I inserted them. And this was not always a guarantee. In fact, it was always a game of luck if I got a proper seal. I'm not sure if others have had that difficulty, or is it was just a problem I had. For me, if I'm going to spend this much money for headphones, I want to be sure they are firing properly and ideally into my ear canal "every time." This being said, I understand your concern about growing and refits. How old are you? Perhaps Dr. J can offer you some advice.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #9,469 of 36,038
Awesome. I've never really given a **** about IEMs until I found out about the K10s, so I don't really know what to look for in tips. How should I choose which ones I get if the ones that Noble provides don't provide the proper fit and seal?

You will get a selection of sizes, you just try them out. If none work, its back to the forums to find out which people have had the best success with.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #9,470 of 36,038
Guys, I regret buying my K10s.

I actually think they sound quite bad out of my AK120 II.

Think I might just go ahead and sell them on the forums.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #9,471 of 36,038

Customs will be more comfortable than the universals, especially for longer sessions.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #9,473 of 36,038

In other news, I decided to stop using the K10 FOREVER.

I love this date.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #9,474 of 36,038

I thought for a minute Noble had their first dissatisfied customer. Then remembered the date!:) Seriously I have never read of anyone not happy with the K10's. Is there such a poor wretch?

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #9,475 of 36,038
Correct regarding isolation. In my experience with universals, I had to find the right tips, but I also had to get the positioning right each time I inserted them. And this was not always a guarantee. In fact, it was always a game of luck if I got a proper seal. I'm not sure if others have had that difficulty, or is it was just a problem I had. For me, if I'm going to spend this much money for headphones, I want to be sure they are firing properly and ideally into my ear canal "every time." This being said, I understand your concern about growing and refits. How old are you? Perhaps Dr. J can offer you some advice.

I heard you can get them to fit every time by inserting them properly (opening your mouth, pulling the top of your ear upwards, twisting in, and closing your mouth).

In regards to age, I'm 16. I contacted Noble through their website and Brannan replied. He told me that I might only have to get them refit twice, one when I'm around 21 and another after my ear canals are completely done growing at 25 just to be sure everything fits right. I'm hoping this is the case but I still need to ask a local audiologist (or email one if I can find a way to) just to make sure getting customs is a good idea.

Im completely fine with having to go the universal route if I need to, though. Only downside to it is that I can't get a Wizard design on them, but what really matters is the sound.

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #9,476 of 36,038
I heard you can get them to fit every time by inserting them properly (opening your mouth, pulling the top of your ear upwards, twisting in, and closing your mouth).

In regards to age, I'm 16. I contacted Noble through their website and Brannan replied. He told me that I might only have to get them refit twice, one when I'm around 21 and another after my ear canals are completely done growing at 25 just to be sure everything fits right. I'm hoping this is the case but I still need to ask a local audiologist (or email one if I can find a way to) just to make sure getting customs is a good idea.

Im completely fine with having to go the universal route if I need to, though. Only downside to it is that I can't get a Wizard design on them, but what really matters is the sound.

I'm an audiologist....;.  I'd expect at least one re-fit due to growth, possibly two.   After 18 yrs old, I would not expect a need for a refit due to growth.

Regards

Dr. John

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 1, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #9,477 of 36,038

I'm an audiologist....;.  I'd expect at least one re-fit due to growth, possibly two.   After 18 yrs old, I would not expect a need for a refit due to growth.

Regards

Dr. John

Well that's awesome, thanks for the reply! So because I'm currently, 16 you think I'd need a refit at 17 and one 18 too? Or would I be fine with getting only one when I'm 18?

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #9,478 of 36,038
Well that's awesome, thanks for the reply! So because I'm currently, 16 you think I'd need a refit at 17 and one 18 too? Or would I be fine with getting only one when I'm 18?

Playing the odds, I'd say u can firmly expect at least one re fit due to growth in ur future odds are less for a second.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #9,479 of 36,038

Yes, I'm very quite familiar with that procedure
bigsmile_face.gif
and it certainly helps to open up the ear so you can get deeper insertion. However, getting the "best" possible sound is not just about getting a good seal; AFAIK there is also the shape of your ear canal and getting the tip angled correctly so that it is ideally firing into your canal rather than at the wall of the canal. This is what I meant when I said it was always a game of luck getting it positioned just right; although I got better at it with time, it was a pain and it only felt "perfect" maybe 20% of the time.

There are many types of tips you can try. For me, the only tips that I liked were the foam kind. They were the only ones that I found comfortable enough, and that provided an adequate seal. The trouble is, these wear out quickly. Upon the first use of a new tip, the sound was magnificent, but after several days it would not expand with as much force and the seal would not be as strong. Thus the games began trying to get deeper insertion for a tighter seal and better positioning. So I was spending $20 every 2 months buying more tips. Of course, this might not be an issue for you if you can get a good seal and comfort with the sturdier types of tips.

With customs, you can skip all this nonsense. But if you have to buy new customs in two years, that's a big expense. You really won't know how well universals work for you unless you try. The nice thing about universals is that they retain a better resale value than customs, so if you find the sound lacking, you can easily sell them with less financial loss. First world problems.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #9,480 of 36,038
I thought for a minute Noble had their first dissatisfied customer. Then remembered the date!
smily_headphones1.gif
Seriously I have never read of anyone not happy with the K10's. Is there such a poor wretch?

Darn. So far, my punk'd tally is a big fat ZERO. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back