Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 1, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #9,451 of 35,958
The people at Noble care about us, hence why they are here. They promote their products and just show that they are real people, Apple cares about $$$. They are also different animals, Apple has shareholders and stock to worry about, so big business will always put the $$$ over everything else, don't think otherwise. I rather have people at companies like Noble here and talking to their customer base any day over some big fortune 500 company with nothing but money as the bottom line.

Apr 1, 2015 at 1:46 AM Post #9,452 of 35,958
The people at Noble care about us, hence why they are here. They promote their products and just show that they are real people, Apple cares about $$$. They are also different animals, Apple has shareholders and stock to worry about, so big business will always put the $$$ over everything else, don't think otherwise. I rather have people at companies like Noble here and talking to their customer base any day over some big fortune 500 company with nothing but money as the bottom line.

I now realize using Apple as a comparison was a terrible idea, but it's what popped into my mind at the time (plus I have an idea for a promo for the Apple Watch using the song "Uptown Funk"....that's a another story for another day).

There's an artisan pipe making "company" (2 brothers) that produce gorgeous and unique tobacco pipes, and they had a sort of intro "making of" video showing various designs and shots of them making pipes. If I were to ever get back into pipe smoking and collecting, because of the impression of their company and product that I got from the video, I would probably start there. So nothing big budget, just a little treat for the customers. Again this is my pipe dream, and I love Noble and what they do.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #9,457 of 35,958
A video of Noble's factory in China would be cool. Their margins for iems should be very high considering cost of Labour in China

While cost of labor is cheaper in china, i feel like making ciems is such a skilled task that the cost is probably not all that much lower if at all. Hell i wouldnt know though :p

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #9,458 of 35,958
While cost of labor is cheaper in china, i feel like making ciems is such a skilled task that the cost is probably not all that much lower if at all. Hell i wouldnt know though :p

It's lower, much lower. That us why so many labor intensive products are produced there. Not to belabor the issue but that is why all the Apple products are made in China. Most manufacturing is sublet to contractors which eliminates the process of direct ownership. There is still direct supervision of the process by staff from the contracting company but all the labor is local. Some of that local labor are highly trained and very skilled but still the daily wage is much lower than Western countries. Yes, if you are wondering I have been there and done this so my experience is first hand.

Apr 1, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #9,459 of 35,958
I've not tried any other iPhones so you could be right,but some people do believe that the transport makes a difference. Just wanted to share my experience as one of the earlier posts was asking if the K10s were a good match for the Hugo which to my ears they certainly are...

That was a genuine question, not a knock BTW. :)

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #9,460 of 35,958
I'm about to pick up some K10s with a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII (with AD8620 OP Amp + Low gain IEM mod) and my LG G3 smartphone as a source. Is there any better option in the below $300 range for a DAP or portable amp+DAC?

Also, what benefits of the customs are lost when choosing to go the universal route?

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #9,461 of 35,958
The Oppo HA-2 seems to be very popular and was the highlight for many people at CanJam this past weekend

https://www.oppodigital.com/headphone-amplifier-ha-2/
http://www.headfonia.com/oppo-ha-2-2007-all-over-again/

Apr 1, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #9,462 of 35,958
I'm about to pick up some K10s with a Leckerton Audio UHA-6S.MKII (with AD8620 OP Amp + Low gain IEM mod) and my LG G3 smartphone as a source. Is there any better option in the below $300 range for a DAP or portable amp+DAC?

Also, what benefits of the customs are lost when choosing to go the universal route?

I had the Leckerton running as an amp sourced by my Fiio X3 and the ALO Rx bested that combo as well as the Oppo HA-2. However if your looking for a combo DAC/amp I'd steer towards the HA-2 as the Rx is just an amp.

You might want to look at a standalone DAP as a source as not to run down your phone.

Cheers

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #9,463 of 35,958

Sound wise nothing should be different between customs and universals. Universals can be a little harder to get the proper seal due to having to use tips. But once you get the right ones, you are done, of course tips wear out, customs shouldn't.

Apr 1, 2015 at 10:09 AM Post #9,465 of 35,958
I had the Leckerton running as an amp sourced by my Fiio X3 and the ALO Rx bested that combo as well as the Oppo HA-2. However if your looking for a combo DAC/amp I'd steer towards the HA-2 as the Rx is just an amp.

You might want to look at a standalone DAP as a source as not to run down your phone.

Cheers

HA-2 sounds like the better option because it'll save space if the amp and DAC are combined (I'm looking for portable, not a brick). And when you say "run down" do you mean battery life? If so, I don't really have a problem with that as I have a portable charger that I've never found use for.

Sound wise nothing should be different between customs and universals. Universals can be a little harder to get the proper seal due to having to use tips. But once you get the right ones, you are done, of course tips wear out, customs shouldn't.

So having proper tips would equate to the isolation of customs? I just don't want to lose any bass extension because of improper isolation. Only reason I'm not 100% on the customs is because my ear canals aren't done growing yet (and won't be for a while due to my age), so I don't want to need more than 2 refits until I reach that age. I have to go see an audiologist to get their opinion, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back