Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 23, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #11,101 of 35,957
In my experience, I've found that some of my favourite headphones are ones that I initially found underwhelming.

You need to give it at least a few days of listening before you can think about forming an initial opinion.

This. 'Emphasis' that sounds exciting at first can just as easily become tiresome. Refinement and cohesion are harder to achieve and may not be immediately apparent.

May 23, 2015 at 4:42 AM Post #11,103 of 35,957
This. 'Emphasis' that sounds exciting at first can just as easily become tiresome. Refinement and cohesion are harder to achieve and may not be immediately apparent.

I'm sorry to report that I don't much like my K10U.  I MUCH prefer my N6W, by a long shot.  I gave the K10U about 3 weeks worth of listening but my initial opinion remained the same 3 weeks later. Tried all the ear tips, several different source material and wide range of equipment. It's possible I have a higher sensitivity to HF but the K10U are bright and fatiguing to my ears and don't have much in the way of mid-range magic.  My N6W, now that's still the best IEMs I've ever listened to or owned.

May 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #11,104 of 35,957
I'm sorry to report that I don't much like my K10U.  I MUCH prefer my N6W, by a long shot.  I gave the K10U about 3 weeks worth of listening but my initial opinion remained the same 3 weeks later. Tried all the ear tips, several different source material and wide range of equipment. It's possible I have a higher sensitivity to HF but the K10U are bright and fatiguing to my ears and don't have much in the way of mid-range magic.  My N6W, now that's still the best IEMs I've ever listened to or owned.

Sounds to me like you have given the K10u a fair go. Time to sell them and enjoy your N6W's.
Interesting that I have not read of anyone else describing the K10's top end as you have. Everybody is different I guess.

May 23, 2015 at 5:04 AM Post #11,105 of 35,957
Sounds to me like you have given the K10u a fair go. Time to sell them and enjoy your N6W's.
Interesting that I have not read of anyone else describing the K10's top end as you have. Everybody is different I guess.

Yes, you might be able to detect the disappointment in my report.  While owning the N6W, I was in awe of its performance and was really looking forward to the upgrade in sound.  Would any others who have heard both N6 and K10 (both universals) describe the N6 as warmer sounding? Perhaps that's just the sound signature I prefer but I've also been through many 2-ch speaker rigs. I've consistently been able to tweak and upgrade to get both more detailed, neutral and at the same time smoother, non-fatiguing sound out of my speakers

May 23, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #11,106 of 35,957
I found the N6 very warm and bass dominant, so much so that they were returned after a week. I will admit that at the time I was upgrading from Etymotic ER4 so it may have been a bit of "culture shock" coming from a sound signature like that. I was much happier with the N4 and even happier with the K10U.

We're all different though...

May 23, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #11,107 of 35,957
It is very disappointing when a purchase does not work out. I have had numerous IEM's that I could not get along with. I am waiting for a pair of custom K10's. I have told myself that if they don't work out I'll give up. Don't know if I will stick to that! :) At least you have the N6 but I know what you mean about looking for that little bit of magic.

May 23, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #11,108 of 35,957
  I found the N6 very warm and bass dominant, so much so that they were returned after a week. I will admit that at the time I was upgrading from Etymotic ER4 so it may have been a bit of "culture shock" coming from a sound signature like that. I was much happier with the N4 and even happier with the K10U.

We're all different though...

Thanks scook94 for your feedback.  Ha, never knew it but maybe I'm a basshead!  :p

May 23, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #11,111 of 35,957
what's classical music like on the K10?

On the K10 with the noble cables its a bit too tight for my taste but with other cables (like my sieve sheep) it sounds grand... absolutely beautiful cables!

May 23, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #11,112 of 35,957
  http://www.head-fi.org/products/noble-audio-savant/reviews/13201

I've left an initial review for the Savant, if anybody is interested.

I am absolutely loving Jazz on the Savant. Perfect amount of emphasis for the drums and bass!

Awesome! thanks for posting...
so glad we're finally getting more impressions on the Savant.

May 23, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #11,113 of 35,957
Hey guys, listening to my new k10s. Just wanted to say they are good but not as good as I was expecting. Definitely not worth their asking price.

I'm sorry that you feel this way. I've yet to read the rest of the new posts (100! In 2 days!), but I'm interested to hear more regarding your experience.

What is it about the K10 that you dislike? Or rather, what were you disappointed about?

My experiences with the K10 are entirely positive, so I'm not going to tell you what I think they do great at. Still, in a sea of TOTLs, the K10 is more than just worth its asking price.

Hope to hear your thoughts!

May 23, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #11,114 of 35,957
Passing by to say that E-Earphone store in Akihabara Tokyo was out of Uni Savants. I had a slim ray of hope ^^ but hey I'm still glad I got to see that store though (god bless technology and video chat).

Yeah. E-earphone and Yodobashi Akiba are literally heaven for folks like us. I spent hours auditioning IEMs on a crazy run through, and I probably only tried a fraction of all that were available. Can't wait to visit Tokyo again in November.

May 23, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #11,115 of 35,957

Yep, everyone has a favorite sound signature that they enjoy so I'm always pleased when I hear that someone has found the right IEM/HP that fits their signature.  I've gone through many HPs and IEMs over the past 15 years and it wasn't until recently that I determined that I prefer a very detailed, revealing and neutral sound sound signature. I only wish I had learned that earlier before spending all of that money but at least I finally found it.  I guess I will be putting up for sale everything else. 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Acts
Back