Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
May 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #20,056 of 36,036
Sorry guys i'm a little behind here if this has been covered at length...   what is concensus on how long the K10's take to open up?   I spent about 10 hours with a new set of CIEM's on a flight back from Seoul last week, and tbh, they just don't have that liveliness that i was expecting. I'm a little worried my expectations may have been too high, but want to understand what i should expect for changes as they break in.

I'm coming from JH-13 Pro's, and source is a sony ZX2.

appreciate perspective from the illuminati.

May 14, 2016 at 3:37 PM Post #20,057 of 36,036
Sorry guys i'm a little behind here if this has been covered at length...   what is concensus on how long the K10's take to open up?   I spent about 10 hours with a new set of CIEM's on a flight back from Seoul last week, and tbh, they just don't have that liveliness that i was expecting. I'm a little worried my expectations may have been too high, but want to understand what i should expect for changes as they break in.

I'm not the illuminati and this is a hugely controversial issue but many on here accept that BA drivers do not change with break in.
My K10's wowed me the first time I heard them and continue to do so.
Assuming that you have a good seal the conclusion that I would come to is that you don't like 'em. :frowning2:
Coincidentally I came to the K10 from the JH13fp and much prefer them.
BTW. I never understand how people can enjoy CIEM's on a long haul flight. A horrible environment to listen in IME.

May 14, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #20,058 of 36,036

Unless you experience brain burn in, what you have is what you get. Its possible they are just not your cup of tea, it happens. Buying them without testing is a bummer if someone doesn't like them, its the nature of the beast.

May 14, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #20,059 of 36,036
Will give them some more time before I make the call, but certainly not blown away like i expected to be.  Debated for a long time between these and the Layla, and not regretting buying but just not over the moon with them.   Unfortunately my JH13's were stolen or i'd still be in them.   

The worst part is the decision...   if these don't work for me, i'll be forced to make the call between replacing the JH13's outright or moving to the Layla.   say a prayer for my wallet :)

As to long haul flights - certainly not ideal but i like the seal for noise reduction and they bug me less than the head clamp effect of over the ears.  and unfortunately i get to spend a lot of time on these flights.

Another question and i realize OT...   any Hong Kong recommendations with wide selection to try before buy, particularly Noble and JH?

May 14, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #20,060 of 36,036
Will give them some more time before I make the call, but certainly not blown away like i expected to be.  Debated for a long time between these and the Layla, and not regretting buying but just not over the moon with them.   Unfortunately my JH13's were stolen or i'd still be in them.   

The worst part is the decision...   if these don't work for me, i'll be forced to make the call between replacing the JH13's outright or moving to the Layla.   say a prayer for my wallet :)

As to long haul flights - certainly not ideal but i like the seal for noise reduction and they bug me less than the head clamp effect of over the ears.  and unfortunately i get to spend a lot of time on these flights.

Another question and i realize OT...   any Hong Kong recommendations with wide selection to try before buy, particularly Noble and JH?

What's your source? I've found the K10s can go from good to great depending on the source I use.

May 14, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #20,062 of 36,036
I've been wearing IEMs on long flights for 15 years. Many times I'd use Se530s with triple flanges from SFO to CDG, which is a 10 hour flight give or take a bit. These days I wear the K-10-C, 5-7 hours no problem at all. When the planes start the decent I'm usually sad that I have to take them out shortly.

May 14, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #20,063 of 36,036
I've been wearing IEMs on long flights for 15 years. Many times I'd use Se530s with triple flanges from SFO to CDG, which is a 10 hour flight give or take a bit. These days I wear the K-10-C, 5-7 hours no problem at all. When the planes start the decent I'm usually sad that I have to take them out shortly.

same - i'm 5+ years with CIEMs, 5+ with IEMs prior on long hauls.   doesn't bother me a bit, and the isolation is superb.

ZX2 is the source as noted above.    

May 14, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #20,064 of 36,036
same - i'm 5+ years with CIEMs, 5+ with IEMs prior on long hauls.   doesn't bother me a bit, and the isolation is superb.

ZX2 is the source as noted above.    

The airplane thing just goes to show. We are all different. :)
I did wonder about source but I doubt that is the issue.
Maybe get to listen to them with an iPhone just to check?
(I know an iPhone is not the be all and end all but should be pretty damn good!)
Sorry to hear about your 13's BTW.
If you have house contents insurance they may well be covered. I know my K10's are. (UK)

May 14, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #20,065 of 36,036

Hmmm, while I liked the bass adjustment a lot, overall I preferred the K10U by quite a margin. But then tastes are always different. Both are pretty exceptional.

95444b682f5587eca759fd3b4739ffd1.jpg

May 14, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #20,066 of 36,036
Same here, the K10 really is my go to IEM, and my Layla just sits inside my box most of the time.

May 14, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #20,067 of 36,036

Have you tried savant? I also have the same impression about k10. For me, k10 is too smooth for me and i prefer savant to k10 because savant got extra sparkle which is engaging.

May 15, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #20,068 of 36,036
ZX2, mentioned above.

Oops. Sorry. I'd definitely try another source before giving up hope - not that ZX2 is bad at all, but I went from really liking the K10s to being completely blown away when I started using the Cozoy Aegis with my phone and K10s

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back