Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Apr 25, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #19,831 of 36,036

same here

Take that kids, John and I use Yahoo, you all need to respect. 
cool.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #19,833 of 36,036
  That article was from Popular Mechanics not Absolute Sound or Stereophile. You simply have to consider the source and their readership. The article is directed at their reader base. What I found interesting was that the writer had a K10U at all. Given his comments he doesn't seem like the type that would buy very expensive iem's. 

I've read many articles in mass media publications over the years from writers who can't tell the difference between a $10,000 speaker system and a boom box. You won't find any of those people on head-Fi.

Well I like the defense league out here and I personally don't think it's a matter of who can tell a $10K speaker from a boombox. It is a hobby and enthusiast will spend what they can justify to spend but the fact has and always will remain that portable audio is done in the harshest of environments so you are never going to get that sound lab experience out of your AK380/Kaiser 10 setup like you are in one! Now Vanity, bragging rights and show of monetary force I do believe and of course taking nothing away from how much to us individually a really good rig can sound
wink_face.gif
This post is not to diminish any high end gear I mean just look at my profile not the best but far superior to any Black Box Best Buy rig but as I get older and take into account what I've spent in audio versus the actual time I really get to enjoy it I understand where this author is coming from and in many ways he makes a good point.

Whether you have one really nice TOTL rig or like me have experimented in the middle and have 6 rigs what is the logic to having way more than you could ever use? Sometimes I feel like the smartest guys (occasional lady) are those that just mess around in the budget arena, a lot of fun without the family going broke or possibly suffering from your dream of reaching a point that really can't be found. For me and as I get older the media seems to make the most difference as good recordings sound awesome on budget rigs in a vicious environment
blink.gif
Once again not saying a TOTL rig does not sound better but it still suffers the same drawbacks. OK, open the justification flame war
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #19,834 of 36,036

I built myself a set of CIEMs (to tide me over until I can save up enough for K10s) with 2 balanced armature drivers & 1 dynamic driver, & the dynamic can definitely eat up the real estate, depending on how you house it. I do love the low end dynamics provide though.

I'm in the process of building another set, but will house the dynamic differently, which should only use 1/3-1/2 the space.

When getting into the higher driver counts I can only imagine how much harder it is to shoehorn everything in.

Wow! Respect for the DIY!

Apr 26, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #19,835 of 36,036
I just got back from having my ears checked and cleaned by the lovely Gisele (TM) at Aid2Hearing.
Can't beat a bit of ear TLC.
Gisele mentioned that she has the K10u in stock with the rest of the Noble universal range due in a couple of weeks. So if you're in London...

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #19,836 of 36,036

Well I like the defense league out here and I personally don't think it's a matter of who can tell a $10K speaker from a boombox. It is a hobby and enthusiast will spend what they can justify to spend but the fact has and always will remain that portable audio is done in the harshest of environments so you are never going to get that sound lab experience out of your AK380/Kaiser 10 setup like you are in one! Now Vanity, bragging rights and show of monetary force I do believe and of course taking nothing away from how much to us individually a really good rig can sound
wink_face.gif
This post is not to diminish any high end gear I mean just look at my profile not the best but far superior to any Black Box Best Buy rig but as I get older and take into account what I've spent in audio versus the actual time I really get to enjoy it I understand where this author is coming from and in many ways he makes a good point.

Whether you have one really nice TOTL rig or like me have experimented in the middle and have 6 rigs what is the logic to having way more than you could ever use? Sometimes I feel like the smartest guys (occasional lady) are those that just mess around in the budget arena, a lot of fun without the family going broke or possibly suffering from your dream of reaching a point that really can't be found. For me and as I get older the media seems to make the most difference as good recordings sound awesome on budget rigs in a vicious environment
blink.gif
Once again not saying a TOTL rig does not sound better but it still suffers the same drawbacks. OK, open the justification flame war
biggrin.gif

Believe it or not, there are some people that frequently spend 8+ hrs stuffed like a sardine on a plane.....   and during that time, a good portable system offers some type of relief from being crammed in a seat made for a 7 year old.

train commute in Taiwan

Crowded bus

more and more people live in apartment buildings, rather than single dwelling homes, portable audio prevents bothering your neighbors

Apartment in Japan

Apartment Thailand

Apartment Taiwan

Apartment Hong Kong

Extended Families

A lot of homes around the world have several generations living within one dwelling.  (grandparents. parents. children) all in one location.  Portable/personal audio helps to alleviate bothering others within the same house hold.

In short, the world isn't like "Kansas."

Portable audio doesn't hold the same definition, value or purpose around the world.  For me, good audio, has always been a form of escape to me. It brings me back to moments in my life, or at least pulls me away from the moment I am in.   The better the gear, the better the vehicle that transports me, the better the experience of escape that I have.

I suspect a lot of folks have their own reasons for participating in this "hobby," but for what ever that reason may be.....   I hope their is a Noble product that fits their needs.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #19,837 of 36,036
I hear you John and as I said nothing taken away from the great work and precision gear Noble produces but merely saying all the portable environments come with something other than an ideal setting. Just saying for some, especially for those on limited budgets one must find that sweet spot
wink_face.gif
Not sure just how many iem/ciem's Noble has sold to date but all those people can't be wrong and I'm also sure 99.9% feel satisfied with their outlay. Like being pro TOTL it's OK to be someone who loves to listen to music on the budgets they have, I've said before as being an ex audio salesman today's dreamer usually becomes tomorrow's buyer
biggrin.gif

Respect
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #19,839 of 36,036

wink_face.gif

blink.gif
biggrin.gif

No flaming here.  Your points about the vicious environment has actually caused me to not take any type of listening gear out in the real world anymore.  Too much stimulis already out there.  All my listening is at home. I just happen to do portable because I can pick up everyting and move it around, and put it away when I'm done.  K10's were the result of my wife going to bed earlier than me, and my having to privatize my listening experience. I feel lucky that I landed on the ciems that hit my personal sweet spot.  That said, I try to buy the best I feel comfortable enough spending without accumulating too much gear or shorting myself on other priorities in life.  Don't know how they would sound to me today, but I still remember the "wow" factor I got when I first bought a pair of Shure SE215s.  They were my first set of nice phones, coming from $15 throwaways, and the difference was huge to me.  The further you get into audio, the less often you get that kind of feeling.

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #19,840 of 36,036
  I hear you John and as I said nothing taken away from the great work and precision gear Noble produces but merely saying all the portable environments come with something other than an ideal setting. Just saying for some, especially for those on limited budgets one must find that sweet spot
wink_face.gif
Not sure just how many iem/ciem's Noble has sold to date but all those people can't be wrong and I'm also sure 99.9% feel satisfied with their outlay. Like being pro TOTL it's OK to be someone who loves to listen to music on the budgets they have, I've said before as being an ex audio salesman today's dreamer usually becomes tomorrow's buyer
biggrin.gif

Respect
beerchug.gif

Oh I hear u.  I've been known to use other products other than the K10, due to the settings I'm in or the activity that I'll be involved for that day.  (for example "on the go" listening, I usually don't carry my K10UA)

It isn't so much because of their financial value, but because they are K10 UA black and rose gold prototypes.  (I may build me a set of the final product, if I have enough parts)

But my point is mostly in regards to the article....   30$ may offer enough escape, for a guy that is on a tread mill, or bench pressing 125 lbs in group reps of 10.    

But speaking from experience, there was a time where I lived in a 4 wall apartment.   My living room/and dinning area was the 3 feet between the bed and the TV.   The bathroom served as a kitchen, where my wife and I would wash the dishes, the toilet was the garbage disposal.

30$ headphones would not pull me out of that environment effectively.

Even today, I live in a house with 10 people in it (extended family) and I need to escape from time to time, and 30$ earphones aint going to cut it.

Any news on the Rose Gold Edition yet?

There is a batch on the way to the USA right now.  You can contact Brannan for further details, as he has the tracking info etc etc.

The final batch, will be shipped to California early next week.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Apr 26, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #19,844 of 36,036
Of course those other products are Noble products, and they are always "Wizards" as that is just how I roll

just curious, which other brands do you rate other than Noble Audio? Mind listing 3. Cheers :p

Apr 26, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #19,845 of 36,036

Oh I hear u.  I've been known to use other products other than the K10, due to the settings I'm in or the activity that I'll be involved for that day.  (for example "on the go" listening, I usually don't carry my K10UA)

It isn't so much because of their financial value, but because they are K10 UA black and rose gold prototypes.  (I may build me a set of the final product, if I have enough parts)

But my point is mostly in regards to the article....   30$ may offer enough escape, for a guy that is on a tread mill, or bench pressing 125 lbs in group reps of 10.    

But speaking from experience, there was a time where I lived in a 4 wall apartment.   My living room/and dinning area was the 3 feet between the bed and the TV.   The bathroom served as a kitchen, where my wife and I would wash the dishes, the toilet was the garbage disposal.

30$ headphones would not pull me out of that environment effectively.

Even today, I live in a house with 10 people in it (extended family) and I need to escape from time to time, and 30$ earphones aint going to cut it.

There is a batch on the way to the USA right now.  You can contact Brannan for further details, as he has the tracking info etc etc.

The final batch, will be shipped to California early next week.

Well I'm envious of those Black and gold but not for today and portable listening but by the time they stick me in a retirement community a nice pair will beat the living dog out of watching "Let's make a deal" with my comrades in slower movement
eek.gif
I also understand the 4 walls with people on each side, just stressing that the majority of the outside scenario's is defeatist to the best listening one can get. Unlike Fiasco I'm lucky in the respect that I have a dedicated attic Man cave where great listening levels do not disturb anyone else in my home even into the wee hours. These are just some of my opinions and we all know what the old saying is about those
wink_face.gif
As I get older it's all in what one can justify to themselves, just simply felt that the Popular Mechanics article does hold some merit! Not as much in this community but I'm sure to a lot of the population as a whole.

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back