Noble Audio - the Wizard returns!
Feb 10, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #17,942 of 36,038
I think "flat" and "neutral" are the two most overused terms words in hifi, be it for speakers, headphones, amps, DACs, amps, cables, etc, etc.

If I had a nickel for every time a product was called that (and really wasn't), I wouldn't have much change in my pocket.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #17,943 of 36,038

A new batch of Wizard IEMs were just released on the site and they are available at the same price​
as the standard universal versions ($200 off)!​
 ​
Check them out, there are designs to suit every taste.​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​
 ​

Spooky... the left one has come to life
blink.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #17,944 of 36,038
Yes, if you have both or listen to them for a decent amount of time, then you will know that the K10 EQ isn't that flat.  And because it respond so well with any kind of ampping, this ironically makes it not so good for testing.  Remember, "reference" does NOT necessary mean it sounds good, rather it tries to have the frequencies respond as equal as possible at any given volume.  This is why I take the K10 over the Layla any day for musical enjoyment, but have to stick with the Layla for any testing and analytical purpose.
so you don't actually enjoy music listening with the Layla? In that case I recommend selling it and getting the KSE1500 because that thing is way more 'neutral' and 'reference' to me than Layla for testing purposes.

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #17,945 of 36,038
so you don't actually enjoy music listening with the Layla? In that case I recommend selling it and getting the KSE1500 because that thing is way more 'neutral' and 'reference' to me than Layla for testing purposes.

I am just reading the about the KSE1500.  I have been ignoring Shure for a while, but this seems to be a mistake.  The reason being that both the K10U Al and Layla II will not really give me a new listening experience, especially with the Layla II being so close to the KSE1500 in terms of price.  Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my Layla, but I will take the K10 over it as a much better package deal (SQ, comfort, cabling.)

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:00 PM Post #17,946 of 36,038
  Yes, if you have both or listen to them for a decent amount of time, then you will know that the K10 EQ isn't that flat.  And because it respond so well with any kind of ampping, this ironically makes it not so good for testing.  Remember, "reference" does NOT necessary mean it sounds good, rather it tries to have the frequencies respond as equal as possible at any given volume.  This is why I take the K10 over the Layla any day for musical enjoyment, but have to stick with the Layla for any testing and analytical purpose.

Yes, that's how I view the Layla - technically proficient, and a world beater when it comes to aspects such as micro detail retrieval and soundstage size. However, I found them a little too bland for my tastes. I couldn't enjoy my music with the Layla, and I found myself appreciating the Angie (a lot) more. Ultimately, I'd rather forgo that top-end 5% increase in technical performance if it means that my music retains its liveliness and fun. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #17,947 of 36,038
Listening to music through cheap earbuds without financial problems beats listening to TOTL worrying about being in serious debt.
It is surprising how quickly you get used to high quality SQ and take it for granted. Hence the popularity of gadgets like the Mojo IMHO.

Actually, yes. Life would have been a whole lot simpler if I hadn't taken that leap and went with the SE535 several years back. It would be one less strain on my wallet, and I would still be none the wiser when it comes to the fine appreciation of top level music gear.

But hey, now that I'm on this path, I can never turn back. Woe is me. 
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:07 PM Post #17,948 of 36,038
  Spooky... the left one has come to life
blink.gif

The below photo is a better representation of what that particular pair look like.  The photo Brannan provided was taken with a I phone.

Now to be clear, the below photo is not the same pair listed right now, but it is made from the same material, so one can expect something similar.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #17,949 of 36,038

Yes, that's how I view the Layla - technically proficient, and a world beater when it comes to aspects such as micro detail retrieval and soundstage size. However, I found them a little too bland for my tastes. I couldn't enjoy my music with the Layla, and I found myself appreciating the Angie (a lot) more. Ultimately, I'd rather forgo that top-end 5% increase in technical performance if it means that my music retains its liveliness and fun. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

Very true, and this is why in the grand scheme of things, "neutral" can make the sound boring very quickly.  Also note that the Layla still isn't 100% neutral, but it is very hard to argue that the Layla lacks details.

Feb 10, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #17,950 of 36,038

The below photo is a better representation of what that particular pair look like.  The photo Brannan provided was taken with a I phone.

Now to be clear, the below photo is not the same pair listed right now, but it is made from the same material, so one can expect something similar.

You killed Kenny
wink.gif

Nice photo - this does bring them to life...

Feb 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #17,953 of 36,038

Users who are viewing this thread

Back