Jan 22, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #17,506 of 36,036
My 4U came in. Messing with the fit for now but so far so good

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #17,507 of 36,036
My 4U came in. Messing with the fit for now but so far so good

Upgrade over the W40? 
wink_face.gif

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #17,508 of 36,036
Upgrade over the W40? :wink_face:

Bass and highs, definitely. Bass is more controlled and extend lower with no characteristics Westone mid bass hump. The highs definitely extend higher and sparkle more than the W40. The vocals are more laid back compared to the W40, clarity is about equal, so that'll take some time to get used to it.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #17,510 of 36,036
Do any of you guys know why the switch line had been discontinued?

It seemed as we were pushing a boulder up hill. Folks had a hard time accepting the "two in one" approach that the switch offered. Most folks thought it was just a matter of the switch making crossover adjustments, when the reality was, two seperate iem internals were housed in one shell. It would be like having a er4p, and a tf10 in one iem, and the switch would allow the user to select between the two.

Problem was trying to educate folks was a difficult task, so rather than continue to attempt to educate folks, we discontinued the product. Ultimatley, the switch products sounded good, it just wasnt a marketable concept

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
Jan 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #17,511 of 36,036
It seemed as we were pushing a boulder up hill. Folks had a hard time accepting the "two in one" approach that the switch offered. Most folks thought it was just a matter of the switch making crossover adjustments, when the reality was, two seperate iem internals were housed in one shell. It would be like having a er4p, and a tf10 in one iem, and the switch would allow the user to select between the two.

Problem was trying to educate folks was a difficult task, so rather than continue to attempt to educate folks, we discontinued the product. Ultimatley, the switch products sounded good, it just wasnt a marketable concept

It's sad how some people can't appreciate a concept as neat as a two in one iem.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #17,512 of 36,036
It's sad how some people can't appreciate a concept as neat as a two in one iem.

Interestingly I had a few discussion with some local CIEM workshops re two-in-ones and their response was that IEMs being so tiny people would just bring an extra pair if they want two sounds... they thought it would be a more feasible concept if it could be applied to bigger items like a component or even speakers for physical space limited market like Hong Kong or Tokyo.... an amp with both SS and Tube sound in one enclosure to drive different phones, a DAC with multiplr signal paths with cirrus logic vs bb vs ess chips etc.. but I digress...

personally I see value of an iem with two different FR/sounds to conveniently switch from tracks to tracks...

Jan 23, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #17,513 of 36,036
recently bought the CDM and using them with my K10's. Before I just used the onboard amp of my DAP (AK120II). The difference a good amp can make for the K10 is staggering. Never would have expected in ears can sound this good :) (not like they sounded bad unamped)

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #17,514 of 36,036
  Guys what do you think of the K10u in comparison to the Audio 64 u12 and Sony XBA-Z5?

I've only heard the custom A12 in comparison to my custom K10.

The K10 sounds warmer, with a more forward and powerful midrange.

The A12 sounds a little more balanced, with more prominent treble.

Both bass presentations are stellar, with good texture, impact and quantity.

Essentially, the A12 and the K10 are 2 of the best IEMs on the market today.

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #17,515 of 36,036
  recently bought the CDM and using them with my K10's. Before I just used the onboard amp of my DAP (AK120II). The difference a good amp can make for the K10 is staggering. Never would have expected in ears can sound this good :) (not like they sounded bad unamped)

I agree. I drive my K10 with an ALO Rx Mk3-B+, and I like how the amp allows the K10 to shine with greater authority and power. The K10 is a very fluid IEM that pairs well with many sources. It sounds great even out of my LG G3. Admittedly, I don't do that much, but yeah. 
wink.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:53 AM Post #17,516 of 36,036
Bass and highs, definitely. Bass is more controlled and extend lower with no characteristics Westone mid bass hump. The highs definitely extend higher and sparkle more than the W40. The vocals are more laid back compared to the W40, clarity is about equal, so that'll take some time to get used to it.

After more listening, I retract my statement about the mids being laid back.   A few more hours of listening to various tracks, genres, bit rates, etc made me realize that I must have fixated on a "bad" recording during my initial impressions. 

On the "right" recording, they're exactly where they're supposed to be.   Clear, concise, and not harsh or fatiguing.

A very well done IEM and a definite upgrade from the W40.

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:16 AM Post #17,517 of 36,036

have you heard the Layla? Surely that is among the very best as well? :)

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #17,518 of 36,036

Does the A12 have more sub bass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back