No Way Shure E4 Replaces E5
May 22, 2005 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 94

vranswer

1000+ Head-Fier
No way the E4 replaces the E5. Period. I've been away for the weekend, sitting on the beach with my new E4s, and 'old' E5s. Here are my initial comparison thoughts:

1) E4 is the proper enumeration for these canalphones..they are better than the E3s but not better than E5s.

2) The E4s have tighter and perhaps quite a bit deeper bass than the E5s, but still not as much pure muscular 'punch'. E5s still rock on better than any canalphone I've ever heard.

3) I would characterize the E4s as an improved or 'souped up' version of the E3s (which I used to own). Better bass, better soundstage. Respond very well to EQ'ing and provide potent out-of-the-headphone-jack presentation.

4) The E5s are still a completely different animal IMO. They present a much better balanced sound....and don't suffer from that overly 'middled' (midrange hump) sound. E4s have done a lot to minimize this, and it makes them a much more listenable phone than the E3s. But I'm finding I still need some EQing to make it so (thus squeezing the unamped iPod out of the picture). I never could get E3s to quit sounding so blaringly "middled"...I think a phenomenon so controversially discussed ad inifinitum by Toaster22. The E4s will not have this problem IMO. But the E5s balance and musicality still make them worth the difference in $$$, I find them to be the best canalphones I've bought.

5) The E4s will fit perfectly in my stable for handy "sweat" phones - used for backyard work and such. Plus, the option of inserting 'down the front' orientation (as opposed to over the ears) make them perfect for more 'in and out' usage, i.e. getting in and out of my vehicle on the job. The E5s always get jacked up when I try to drive around with them, and the over-the-ear insertion style doesn't work well for frequent removal. E4s will do it well, and sound much better than E3s. Awesome.

6) E4 vs. Ety ER4S? If anyone is interested, I will post some thoughts on this.

May 22, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #2 of 94
Of course you realize you've just made me re-think my decision to purchase the E4 (black version) as soon as it becomes available.
frown.gif

And, yes, I would love to hear your comparison of both the E4c and E5 to the Ety E4.
Thanks.
biggrin.gif

May 22, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #3 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
6) E4 vs. Ety ER4S? If anyone is interested, I will post some thoughts on this.

I would be very interested in this comparison. If you could perhaps take a optional bass boost into consideration as well (since I mainly listen to the Etys with and to the Shure E3 without bass boost), that'd be great. Thanks.

May 22, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 94
I too would be interested in this comparison!
lambda.gif

May 22, 2005 at 9:03 PM Post #5 of 94
Me too.

Quote:

I never could get E3s to quit sounding so blaringly "middled".

It's true, they are very midforward.
But part of your problem with them is in the fact that the ipods do not have a fully customisable equaliser. On the eq of my NW-HD1 I can completely adjust their sound, to the point where they sound pleasantly full and smooth.

May 22, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 94
I agree about the iPod. My Karma's parametric EQ does a great job of properly adjusting the E3c's. Granted they require alot more low end than my grado's, but they sound fine when properly adjusted. I would love to try the E4's, but being broke sucks.

May 22, 2005 at 9:22 PM Post #8 of 94
I have spent several hours comparing the E4s to my E3s.

I am happy with the bass sound of the E3s and felt they were a solid step up from my sony 71s. I have tried the Ety 6is and returned them. I enjoy a deeper sound. The 6is go too far into the ear for comfort.

I had high expectations for the E4s and sometimes this sets the bar too high. I didn't need to replace my E3s but thought an upgrade to better sound for $200 was okay.

The E4s sound nice but were not worth the $200 upgrade. My ears do not think the sound is that much better. It seems like the range is shifted higher than the E3s. They seem to be a better fit for a 6i owner who is looking for more bass.

Maybe the only step up for me is a two speaker earphone and that is one I cannot rationalize at this point.

May 22, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 94
well, this seems pretty incongruent with nearly all previous chatter about the e4.

interesting...

May 22, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #10 of 94
I'd pretty much agree with vranswer. There's a nice linearity as you go up the line of Shure headphones each one being just a bit better than they last. Prior to the E4 there was a pretty big gap between the E3 and the E5. The E4 fills it very nicely.

For me, the biggest difference between the E4 and the E5 was the more accurate timbre and decay of the E5.

As for the ER4 vs. E4, I liked the E4 better in the short time I spent comparing the two side by side but take that with a grain of salt since I tend to prefer the Shure sound anyway. If you're the type of person who really loves the Ety sound, you may still prefer it.

May 22, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
Of course you realize you've just made me re-think my decision to purchase the E4 (black version) as soon as it becomes available.
frown.gif

And, yes, I would love to hear your comparison of both the E4c and E5 to the Ety E4.
Thanks.
biggrin.gif

But why?? Just because the E4s aren't as good as the E5s doesn't mean they're no good at all. In fact, I've been blasting them through Rio Carbon via SuperDual - with the proper EQ settings on Carbon the E4s are excellent! To be honest, I don't believe the E3s could achieve this type of beefy presentation no matter what kind of amplification they're provided. But the E4s can. It's just that the E5s don't need it. The E5s kick serious ***** right out of the box.

May 22, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by vranswer
But why?? Just because the E4s aren't as good as the E5s doesn't mean they're no good at all. In fact, I've been blasting them through Rio Carbon via SuperDual - with the proper EQ settings on Carbon the E4s are excellent! To be honest, I don't believe the E3s could achieve this type of beefy presentation no matter what kind of amplification they're provided. But the E4s can. It's just that the E5s don't need it. The E5s kick serious ***** right out of the box.

I ordered E5 knowing that E4 was going to be released just a few days later. Shure is a big business so they won't make E4 better than E5 for "shure", just look at the price difference; probably E6 will be better
biggrin.gif

I'm eager to see how E5 will perform against UE Superfi Pro.

May 23, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #13 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasper994
As for the ER4 vs. E4, I liked the E4 better in the short time I spent comparing the two side by side but take that with a grain of salt since I tend to prefer the Shure sound anyway. If you're the type of person who really loves the Ety sound, you may still prefer it.

Aye, there's the rub. I've vaccillated between the two, preferring both and neither at one time or another. I love the Ety (ER4) detail, and I find it intoxicating and addictive. At the same time, I am quickly fatigued by them - after years of experience with various canalphones. This latter point is important IMO, as one may need some experience to know about this tiring 'brightness' from which the ER4s suffer.

For me, it's not whether I prefer the "Shure Sound", but rather what can keep me interested and engaged over the long term. IMO, Shure has done a better job of figuring out what the consumer can enjoy, and has incorporated this knowledge in its line of canalphones. When you listen to a piano solo on the Ety ER4s you're struck by the clear, articulate attack of each and every note. The sound is hard and extraordinarily defined. But the timbre and pitch strikes one as artificial...especially in comparison to other products. It may sound AWESOME, but it wears you out! For some reason, Etymotics produces a phone that is incapable of delivering rounded bass response, perhaps the penultimate desire for detail prevails.

Shure's E4 phones are in no way a departure from any of their other cans in this light. You could use descriptions like 'fun' and 'musical'. You definitely would not be lacking in the detail department, even if not the 'hyper-detail' of the ER4s. You will surely be satisfied with the mids and bass of the E4s as opposed to the Etys, as this philosophy is "programmed in" as described above.

May 23, 2005 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 94
Quote:

Originally Posted by toucam
I ordered E5 knowing that E4 was going to be released just a few days later. Shure is a big business so they won't make E4 better than E5 for "shure", just look at the price difference; probably E6 will be better
biggrin.gif

I'm eager to see how E5 will perform against UE Superfi Pro.

Please post your impressions of E5. (As if I don't know what they'll be) You're gonna love 'em, they're freaking awesome! Terrific choice.

May 23, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #15 of 94
The one guy I talked to at Shure at The Home Entertainment Show stated that they believe the E4 comes very close, but does not top the E5. He was a bit surprised when I told him there are a few with different impressions.

Well, guess I'll find out soon enough. I'm also a bit skeptical that the E4 are clearly better than the E5, but I do remember having the "dumb stupid grin" on while listening to them at the show. I need to get the E5c back from the friend I gave them to though...

Best,

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back