no one into pda-phones ?
Nov 6, 2006 at 9:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
mm I'd have to buy anytime soon a pda phone which can cover some tasks , the most important are in order of importance :

. very good touchscreen penwriting recognition ( letters ? words ? sorry I'm very new into this )
. very good stereo headphone jack
. illimited audio recording capability with possibly decent results
. easy note-on-the-go functions , possibly paired with nice writing recognition

nice pictures camera ( 1.3 or 2 , possibly macro mode )

Nov 7, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 34
bump
confused.gif

Nov 7, 2006 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 34
I've got a PDA phone that's called the HTC Wizard (as well as Qtek 9100, I-mate K-JAM, T-Mobile MDA Vario, Orange SPV M3000, O2 XDA Mini S, Dopod 838 or Cingular 8125) that I quite like.

Personally I'm not into the handwriting recognition (although my brother has a Windows Mobile PDA and is very quick with the handwriting recognition which is exactly the same so I guess it can work) I actually use a program called TenGo free for entering information (it's a cross between a keyboard and a T9 type recognition that you have on mobile phones) and I find that it's very quick at entering once you get used to it. What I do like though is that it has a slide out keyboard that I generally use when I'm doing lots of typing.

The model I have only has a 1.3 megapixel camera on it and a super-mini headphone connection (so I've only ever been able to use the naff headphones that came with it) but I like it and I think it works well. HTC actually have a newer model with a 2 megapixel camera and have other different models available. Check them out here: HTC Products

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:00 PM Post #4 of 34
I personally found PDA phones to be little more than a half-assed jack-of-all trades, but...

I would suggest the Treo 700. I had the Treo 600 which was a very competent little device (especially for email) and the software selection for Palm Devices is excellent. The Treo 650 added immensely to the 600, and the new 700 model looks like it's continuing the trend - now with Pocket PC interface (palm OS optional?). I didn't find myself using the touch screen very much, so I can't offer too much on that end.

Personally, I'm done with cellphones that are anything beyond just a phone. Have you considered an ultraportable laptop?

Nov 7, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 34
I know many people who use Blackberry and happy with it. Also while commuting, the Blackberry 8700 series seems to be the most popular choice. Also my company uses pretty much Blackberry officially.

Not much audio and camera capabilities.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:44 AM Post #8 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper
The Treo 650 added immensely to the 600, and the new 700 model looks like it's continuing the trend - now with Pocket PC interface

I was thinking of buying a white boxed Treo 650 from TigerDirect.ca, as it's only $350 CDN (quite cheap compared to other PDA phones). However the white box version only comes with a short warranty through TigerDirect, not the manufacturer. Is the 650 wireless capable with an addon? Right now I use a Motorola V551.

I'd like to be able to sync calendar and tasks with Outlook, check emails, and view PDF documents and such. However, I don't know how much more space in my pockets I can spare. I already daily carry keys, wallet, cell phone, 4G Ipod, and Fenix L1P flashlight. Plus, if I have a bag I could also be carrying my 15.4 inch laptop, PSP, DS Lite, textbooks, etc.

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #10 of 34
The way I see it, if you want a PDA...get a PDA. If you want a cell phone, get a cell phone. I'm not a fan of the ultimgate gadget where it does a bit of everything but nothing really well.

Nov 8, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #11 of 34
The Treo is reportedly a great PDA and a poor phone.

I can tell you the Verizon Q is a good phone and a pathetic PDA.

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by will75
The Treo is reportedly a great PDA and a poor phone.

I can tell you the Verizon Q is a good phone and a pathetic PDA.

I kinda gotta disagree with the argument that the Treo is a poor phone. My dad just bought one, and he's not too competent with combo devices so I spent the first couple of days playing with it. It does have its quirks but it makes for an excellent device on both counts (as a PDA and as a Phone)

Nov 8, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #13 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite
I kinda gotta disagree with the argument that the Treo is a poor phone. My dad just bought one, and he's not too competent with combo devices so I spent the first couple of days playing with it. It does have its quirks but it makes for an excellent device on both counts (as a PDA and as a Phone)

I should specify. I'm speaking of the Treo 700's sound quality during phone use. YMMV but I'd say 19/20 Tech types working for a wireless co (that I have spoken with) agree. YMMV.

Nov 8, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlorytheWiz825
The way I see it, if you want a PDA...get a PDA. If you want a cell phone, get a cell phone. I'm not a fan of the ultimgate gadget where it does a bit of everything but nothing really well.

I'm of this opinion too ... but then again I don't want to have to carry a phone, PDA & iPod everywhere. Some of the PDA-phones now are getting much much better. In fact the one I have (since the upgraded firmware) has call quality as good as any dedicated phone I've ever had and the PDA functions work well too so I would say it does both jobs well

Nov 8, 2006 at 1:03 PM Post #15 of 34
I own and love my 8700 Blackberry. Great phone and internet service.

It does absolutely NOTHING you are looking for:

(1) Touchscreen Penwriting Recognition - No, but it doesn't seem to work all that good on most pda's and not at all after the pda has been dropped (and it will);

(2) Very Good Stereo Headphone Jack: No, but does one exist for any pda;

(3) Limited Audio Recording Capability with Possibly Decent Results: No, but limited voice is possible on other pda's (I hope your not looking for high quality audio);

(4) Note Functions and Nice Writing Recognition: No, but you do understand that "nice" writing recognition is also a function of having a large enough screen. The smaller the screen (pocket sized phone), the harder the writing recognition; and,

(5) Nice Camera: No, but other pda's do have some nice cameras.

Godd Luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back