No More Super Minis?
Oct 22, 2002 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

zotjen

Headphoneus Supremus
Looks like fixup has stopped taking orders. From his website:

" I made the amps originally for myself only. I did think of offering them to some friends or anyone who appreciate them and my effort but I never expected so many orders. I sadly found that not all people appreciated my effort though. In order to avoid more confusions and misunderstanding, I stopped selling these amps on 10/21/02. Great, now I can get more sleep. As we have stopped, now I can tell you that I never really charged anybody $125 and all the buyers after the price increase still got their amps for $79.99 even though the amps do worth more than $125. Again, the price increase was only to reduce more orders flooding in."

Geez, glad I ordered mine late last week.

Oct 22, 2002 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 46
i feel sorry for him. Im happy i didnt post anything about how its so wrong of him charging that much. he was NOT a large business, just one guy and alot of orders. I couldnt believe how many people starting bashing it after the price raise, especially after all the praise its gotten.
frown.gif
good for you fixup.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 46
So wait, now he's not selling them at all (or so he says) and the price increase was just a lie... and this makes him a good guy? Interesting take on things.

Oct 22, 2002 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 46
Capitolism at its finest.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 46
From my perspective, two big mistakes happened. First, Fixup came through with a poorly-timed price increase that caused people to assume he was taking unfair advantage. Second, head-fiers condemned Fixup without giving him a chance to set things straight.

Was Fixup given a window of time to respond before people started attacking his reputation? If Fixup came back a day later and said the earlier price was still in effect for two more weeks for head-fiers, I suspect everyone would have felt they were being treated fairly. Why didn't people suggest this before writing about sinister motives? If head-fiers asked for the price-break and received it, we'd know it was a simple mistake; if Fix-up refused, then comments about his business style would be fair.

I believe all of this ugliness could have been easily avoided.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:09 AM Post #7 of 46
dvr
We didn't do those things because of the way FixUp behaved prior to his departure from Head-Fi.

Oct 22, 2002 at 5:39 AM Post #9 of 46
BoardC3,
I kindda feel bad about starting that thread. Then again, all my intension was to say that at that price the Meta42 (my Meta42 with AD845, I also has the Super Mini amp) sound much better. The price/performance ratio during the time of my purchaed was excellent and now is different. You are getting less for what'd you paid for. Anyway, things should had resolved easily. I didn't expect him to stop making his amp. Well, if Fixup announced that the price of the SuperMini and Mini will be raised to 125 dollars, b/f he actually raised the price.....then....things should turn out much and much better, and many would understand his situation.

Purk

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 46
Boo Friggen Hoo. So people will now have to ask JMT, Tangent, eric343, or someone else to make an amp of equal quality for less money. What a friggen tragedy.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:24 AM Post #11 of 46
I think you guys have misunderstood his message. I think the price increase was purely a "facade" designed to reduce the number of orders. When an order came in at the higher price, FixUp revealed that the "real" price. That's my take on it.

Oct 22, 2002 at 6:42 AM Post #12 of 46
I'm just posting what it says on his homepage.

Quote:

[10/21/02] The amps are stopped, until my new design is out. In addition to more improvements, the new design will reduce the building time significantly. I.e., by then, I will no longer have to put a high price to prevent orders and, instead, be able to take all orders and ship them timely. Even though the cost for parts will increase significantly with the new design, I won't increase the price (might even drop it because of the building time decrease). Hopefully they'll be available again in 1-2 weeks but could be much longer.

For those who already ordered an amp, your order will be shipped within about 1-7 days, depending on your position in the waiting line. Nobody has been really charged for $125. Even though you ordered after the price increase, you were still charged for $79.99 only (plus S&H). The listed high price was just a way to reduce orders but still to allow those who are willing to pay more to get an amp. Anyway, the amps do worth more than $125.

I'm just a newbie here, but maybe people judged fixup too quickly. I can believe that he got too many orders, because at the $80 price it was an attractive offer. When I discovered the head-fi forums a little over a week ago, I seriously considered ordering it, but didn't because of wallet condition at the time.

Oct 22, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #15 of 46
I think it bears repeating that Fixup's first language is not English , so it's perfectly possible that there was some confusion in what he wanted to say and what people thought he was saying.

devil's advocate mode off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back