No more debts!!!
Nov 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #46 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They had an article in the local paper last month about county and city employees and even posted salaries. The Deputy Court Clerk makes 10k a year more than a starting Deputy Prosecuting Attorney in one of the counties. Also, Public Defenders don't make a large amount of money. Not all lawyers make a fortune. Believe it or not the same can be said about doctors. There are doctors in the US that don't make a ton of money.

at least supply/demand works in favor of doctors

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #48 of 64
Good for you!

I too am working toward a Debt Free goal. I am doing pretty well at age 39, with my only debt being my house mortgage, which I am paying down at an accelerated rate - and all the while putting 20% of my annual income into retirement accounts (Roth IRA, and 401k). Very exciting stuff. The thought of being completely debt free and having a nest egg worth a couple of million dollars by the time I retire at age 65 gives me a warm fuzzy.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #49 of 64
Quote:

Really? I was under the impression that lawyers make a ridiculous amount of money if they're good. Must just be an "urban legend" What are you planning to do?

I'm lucky enough to have a great job lined up (probably doing either tax or corporate bankruptcy- I still don't have a specific practice assignment). Even so, it's going to be a slog to get the debt paid off.

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidhunternyc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations! Have you heard MBL's new omni-directional speakers?

Out of the fire, but back on the frying pan
biggrin.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #52 of 64
Congratulations, RonnieLee! It must feel amazing to know that everything you own is completely yours.

On the tangent of law graduates, my aunt just retired from being I believe a public defender and she said that the vast majority of the interns they've had in the past few years haven't been able to find a job that is outside of the service industry. Now it was a small office so there couldn't of been more than a few dozen interns over the past few years and to be fair it is Michigan, but still.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #53 of 64
First, Congratulations ronnie.
I know exactly what you're saying, though it is a new start for me.

Back in a decade ago, I started off my marriage with hefty debt. Then all sort of things broke loose on me, and it's been rough years for me. I lived in hell hole while I was watching others not really earn much buying a big house, fancy car and boat off the loans. I didn't give them a rat when they called me odd not doing the same.

Now I paid all my debt off, got stable income, saved enough for downpayment and more, and enjoy watching them putting short sale sign in their front yard.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #54 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by nealric /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm lucky enough to have a great job lined up (probably doing either tax or corporate bankruptcy- I still don't have a specific practice assignment). Even so, it's going to be a slog to get the debt paid off.

Congrats for getting an offer from your summer gig..it will be a tough few years. You are very lucky
beerchug.gif

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #55 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Now I paid all my debt off, got stable income, saved enough for downpayment and more, and enjoy watching them putting short sale sign in their front yard.

not really a laughing matter; I saw more than one ppl on the road with "no job" sign and begging other so they can feed their family (their unemployment benefits probably went out). very depressing, especially in MI.

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #56 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaside /img/forum/go_quote.gif

double post ..dough!

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #57 of 64
I imagine living in Michigan, especially the Detroit area, isn't to pleasant now. I'm originally from Akron and they went though the same thing in the 80s. My family moved away in the 60s when I was a kid. Every time I go back now to visit relatives, I'm thankful we moved away.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #59 of 64
I feel fortunate to live where I do. Things got a little tough around here but nothing like you were seeing on the evening news. Home sales were down a little but they seem to be picking back up. We have even had some new industries comit to moving into the area.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #60 of 64
Quote:

Congrats for getting an offer from your summer gig..it will be a tough few years. You are very lucky

I hope you were treated similarly well this summer.

Here is to hoping neither of us will be Lathamed. Think garlic and a crucifix will help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back