Price
Shipping Destinations
  1. North America
Or Best Offer
Yes
Jun 19, 2020 at 7:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
Edit 3: July 23, no more bumps; I'll just keep the amp. It works really well with my Oppo PM-1s and I'm going to upgrade my home theater system - then spend money on the Raal system.

Edit 2: If you've somehow searched and found this ad and are interested in a great sounding and versatile amp, I most likely still own it. And if I can sell this stupid low-priced time-consuming Condo I own, for the benefit of my niece who just moved out, I'll have cash for the Raal system and would (likely) still be willing to sell the amp described below.

Bump, these rarely come up for sale and there's a reason why!

It's time to sell my excellent quality Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier, $2,100, only because I'm finally moving to the Raal "system". These don't come up for sale very often; I purchased this one from another head-fi-er last fall (four hours after he listed it) as a stop-gap measure, giving me time to decide between Stax, Raal, MySphere, and Focal for headphones (without... having to do without). A couple of years ago I developed a bit of tinnitus, so my listening levels are very low compared to most peoples' - I can't imagine I've ever taxed the amplifier at all! It is similar to new, and I've loved every minute I've listened to it. I'll suggest the exterior it is in exactly the same condition as when I purchased it. It lives in a smoke free and pet free home.

The HPA-1 offers the sound Pass Labs is known for: with this amp it's hard to tell you're not listening to a tube-based amplifier. But, unlike with many tube-based amps (and some solid state ones), the HPA-1 will pair nicely with almost any low-, medium-, or high-impedance headphones. I'm using it with my Ether2 headphones, near new also for sale here, and it is terrific. I demoed a pair of the MySphere 3.2s and it did a great job with them also. Senn 800s or ZMFs, Hi-Fi Man 400i, Oppo PM-1? No problem. Of course, you can use it as a line-level preamp also (as I'm doing in my office - headphones when listening in my recliner; powered speakers when I'm on the computer, at my desk in the opposite corner of the room).

There are some nice amplifiers made now for twice the price; but for $2,100 ($3,500 new) this has got to be one of the lowest risks one can take when buying a "more expensive" headphone amplifier. As I said before but it's something I've come to appreciate having owned a few different cans now: it will perform in a superior manner with an extremely wide variation of headphones. I'll rate the condition 8/10 due only to age. The amplifier came to me with a couple of really small nicks by the volume control; I actually didn't ever notice them until just now, when I walked over to the amp and checked (with my reading glasses on). Shown in a photo, well-magnified!

The HPA-1 will be carefully boxed in the original packaging with original power cord and manual, and shipped only within the continental US via (probably) FedEx, insured at buyers expense. I’ll ship within 24 hrs. of payment and provide buyer with tracking number. If you prefer one carrier over another I'm flexible.

I've been around here for a few years now and can provide a couple of references, I also have 100% feedback on ebay.

Thanks, and here are a couple of review excerpts:

Tone Audio:
“The low level resolution that this preamplifier brings forth unearths minute details normally only heard on the TONEAudio reference system costing almost a hundred times more; all three dimensions of the sound field painted now expanded to the point of being psychedelic.” “But this isn’t Pass’ $38,000 Xs preamplifier; it’s their new HPA-1 headphone amplifier. This thing sounds so damn good twenty minutes out of the box, the thought of plugging a pair of headphones in is frightening….”

HometheaterReview.com:
“If I did not know that the HPA-1 was transistor-based, I would've been fooled: the HPA-1 had the natural warmth and slight fullness that mimic tubes." " In my view, headphone listening is about intimacy, and the HPA-1 is nearly perfect in this regard."

See my post for SOLD: Mr. Speakers Ether 2 headphones under here, under separate listing; if you want both items I'm willing to talk about pricing.
PHOTOS, the first two are thumbnails and can be enlarged:

HPA-1 front closer.jpg

HPA-1 front - with border.jpg

My amp comes with a second dial; my recollection is: the only difference between the two is where the black dot is placed.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #2 of 8

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
Bump.

Jun 28, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #3 of 8

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
I sold my Ether 2s so I'm currently using my "old" Oppo PM-1 headphones. I had never tried them with the Pass Labs amp; they've never sounded so good.
This is a great amp, except for one tiny nick by the volume control you cannot tell it from new.

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 8

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
Bump. The HPA-1 amplifiers seem to be listed between $2,100 and $2,400, and I've never read a bad word about them. Extremely versatile, works with nearly any type or impedance headphone, not "solid-state" sounding at all, but still detailed. Maybe it's just waiting for the right buyer to come along...

Jul 14, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 8

DelsFan

100+ Head-Fier
Nearing one last bump. My lower end Oppo PM-1s (lower than Ether 2s anyway) sound so good with this amp I might wait on the Raal upgrade and do my television/sound system "upgrade" first. (Upgrade: throw everything out and buy new television and A/V receiver and subs and speakers... Right? )

These less-than-1" thick OLED televisions have really gotten my attention...
Photo of GX Gallery Design.jpg

Jul 15, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 8

nxxo

100+ Head-Fier
Certainly the last amp I will keep in 20 years, I give you a free bump because in my opinion it is still one of the top 3 amp on the market today againand I think it is even today the reference amp to Darko GLWYS

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 8

DannyB

500+ Head-Fier
I will give this a bump but I think you are wise in deciding to keep it as a secondary amp if you get the Raal system.

I know the designer well, Jam Somasundram. He is meticulous about his designs and was most passionate about this headphone amp while at Pass Labs. After leaving Pass Labs he has now started his own company. It should be fun to see what he comes up with.

I have three headphone amps, two Moth 2A3s (Versions 1 and 2) and the Pass Labs HPA1. I mainly use them with my Susvara and LCD-XC headphones. I am most fortunate to be very satisfied with my headphone setup.

Users who are viewing this thread