No Internet, No Network, What happened?
Sep 4, 2016 at 5:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

StarTreker

500+ Head-Fier
I have had quite a day, you may have read my You Think Your Receiver Is Dirty? thread, but if not, here is the link bellow...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/819210/you-think-your-reciever-is-dirty

So I put the receiver in the to take to dump pile and come back in the house, expecting to create that thread above to WOW folks on the site. You see, I had internet when I left my house, imagine my surprise when I no longer had net? But I didn't just loose my net, I lost my whole network! So I thought at first, just a glitch power cycle the modem and router and I will be good to go. Nope, we weren't good to go, if this was Nasa, they'd scrub the apollo 13 launch before it even started! So I connect my modem directly to my main computer, wala, we got a green light on net, boosters on full!

So considering I couldn't connect to my wifi router via wifi no wired connection across my network, I decided to connect the router direct to my main computer via wired connection. I login to my browser to connect to the router, Houston we have a problem! First of all, you should always be able to connect to your router anywhere from your network if its plugged into the router, especially through the wifi connection. But if you directly connect the router to one machine via a cable, it most certainly should be working and connecting, cause thats how you first set routers up for those not in the know.

After tons of power cycles, god only knows, and paper clip poking resets, I have finally concluded that my router is dead too! I guess thats what I get for paying only 40 bucks on it, its one of those Media Link 150N wifi routers. Lasted me at least 3 or 4 years though, so dead receiver, and dead router, all in one day, I sure as heck wasn't in the mood as you can imagine. lol FYI, I was always disapointed in the weak range of the wifi and the slow 20MBPS transfer rate via wifi. So I ordered my new wifi router. As you can tell by the SPECS, its way faster, range is way farther, and it costs twice as much. But its like the saying, you really do get what you pay for.

NETGEAR WNDR4500 N900 Dual Band Gigabit Wifi Router

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNDR4500-N900-Gigabit-Router/dp/B00HEX851C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472980640&sr=8-1&keywords=NETGEAR+N900+Dual+Band+Gigabit+Wifi+Router

Sep 9, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello fellow heafiers! :atsmile:

My router came today, thank goodness. OK, I gotta say, this thing is high end, its got more features packed into it then then a vintage stereo. Took me some time getting it setup, where this thing really shines, is in its WIFI. I pay for performance 25MB, doing a speed test always reveals that I am getting more then that, around 29MB down and 6MB up. However, with the old router, the wifi was pretty slow, and the best I could get was 15MB down and 4MB up, and the range was just atrocious. lol

Check out the speed of my WIFI now, and look at that, appears I am tipping the scale for wifi signal range hehe. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back