No difference in sound when trying various amps??!?!?!
Jan 31, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #46 of 82
If your amp and dac made no difference, cables certainly will not. Now aesthetics and durability are different, but sound less so.

Headphones
Amp/DAC
Headphone cable
Analog interconnects
Digital interconnects/power cable

There's an order of magnitude smaller difference each make as you step down the list.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #47 of 82
If your amp and dac made no difference, cables certainly will not. Now aesthetics and durability are different, but sound less so.

Headphones
Amp/DAC
Headphone cable
Analog interconnects
Digital interconnects/power cable

There's an order of magnitude smaller difference each make as you step down the list.

Well my goal is by the time I graduate high school I can maybe get my hands on the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir form the Schiit Asgard 2 and Modi. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #48 of 82
I've recently purchased the Schiit Vali, Magni 1, Valhalla 2 and Asgard 2.  And, honestly I can not hear a great deal of difference between them. That is not to say that I will not notice some sonic differences in the future.

[...]

Have you considered trying something other than a Schiit product? Sure, they look nice, stack pretty, are priced well, but there are a lot more choices around. Good luck.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #49 of 82
  Well my goal is by the time I graduate high school I can maybe get my hands on the Schiit Mjolnir and Gungnir form the Schiit Asgard 2 and Modi. 

Do yourself a favor and try the Little Dot 1+ Hybrid Amp…and tell me you don't here any difference. Very nice sounding amp. 
smile.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #50 of 82
Have you considered trying something other than a Schiit product? Sure, they look nice, stack pretty, are priced well, but there are a lot more choices around. Good luck.

I'm open to suggestions. Anything under $1000.00
gs1000.gif

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #52 of 82
Jan 31, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #54 of 82
A little off topic but can someone look up Jawbox - "Chicago Piano" and "Reel" on spotify or something and describe to me how it sounds?
Theres 2 editions of the album shoot for the original and tell me how it sounds 

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM Post #56 of 82
  I just checked out "Chicago Piano" (Tidal)…how does it sound to you???

Now you know why I want a new DAC. 

Sounds very grainy, loud and aggressive with the HD 600's. 
There's a dip in mid range, so if you have bass heavy headphones its all sub.

You may say get a tube amp. But since it is the way the mastered it, its always good to have that terrible edgy and cringy sound because I guess that's how they attended it to sound or maybe not, because that's why they have a remastered one.

Oh and its actually from 1994 not 06'

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #57 of 82

Sounds very grainy, loud and aggressive with the HD 600's. 
There's a dip in mid range, so if you have bass heavy headphones its all sub.

You may say get a tube amp. But since it is the way the mastered it, its always good to have that terrible edgy and cringy sound because I guess that's how they attended it to sound or maybe not, because that's why they have a remastered one.

lol it's probably b/c of the source file. spotify isn't the very best source material out there.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #58 of 82
  lol it's probably b/c of the source file. spotify isn't the very best source material out there.

Got it on CD
Spotify actually sounds really good. I cant notice a difference what so ever. It literally sounds like CD to me, coming from someone who can recognize 320 kbps mp3 vs AAC/FLAC

But I wonder how that whole album sounds on tubes

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #59 of 82

New DAC???
Are you happy with your HD-600's???
The LD-1+ is a Hybrid Amp…its not a pure tube amp, it uses an Op-Amp which can also be changed, and the amp is highly regarded for its price/performance ratio.

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #60 of 82
  New DAC???
Are you happy with your HD-600's???
The LD-1+ is a Hybrid Amp…its not a pure tube amp, it uses an Op-Amp which can also be changed, and the amp is highly regarded for its price/performance ratio.

Very happy with my HD 600's its just I guess I want slightly smoother sound but not a frequency roll off. Its weird because sometimes that album sounds amazing and it isn't edgy at all.

About the amp, I want to be as neutral as possible I just don't like coloration in my music. Thanks for the suggestion though. 

And how did it sound for you? Are you using a tube amp currently?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back