Nine Inch Nails
Aug 5, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #31 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
So which one did you get? There's like three different ones. One, where the bonus tracks are on a separate 3" CD, another one with 99 tracks, and one with just 8 tracks or so (I have the first two, can't confirm the third).

If it's in America I'm 90% sure it's the CD5 with the bonus tracks as 98 and 99.

Aug 5, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #32 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
i think i got the one with 99 cause listening to it on the way home, i saw 96 on my screen and i thought What?!?!

so, which is the best?

You'll soon find out for yourself.

Personally, I think the third one I listed is a wish that someone had, not sure it actually exists, but it would be the best. Those countdown tracks are annoying. I think I'll burn myself a version of that from one of my other copies.

Aug 5, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #33 of 56
pretty hate machine will always be special to me, even if the blonde that showed it to me broke my heart. bitch.

trent is a genius and god and it seems everything he touches turns badass. he even dated tori amos. the downward spiral is an incredibly journey and the many layers within it take years of listening to full extract. the fragile is an incredible work and dare i say i like it more than downward spiral in certain respects.

anybody who doesn't own the following is either a sissy, or just has bad taste:
pretty hate machine
broken
the downward spiral
the fragile

buy them. they're good, i swear.

p.s. true crazy fans can check for his cameo in tori amos' under the pink on the track "past the mission." trent sings the chorus in a low melodious tone in the background. it's fairly tough to pickup on ****ty systems, but since everyone here has headphones they should all have no problem.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
trent is a genius and god and it seems everything he touches turns badass. he even dated tori amos. the downward spiral is an incredibly journey and the many layers within it take years of listening to full extract. the fragile is an incredible work and dare i say i like it more than downward spiral in certain respects.

anybody who doesn't own the following is either a sissy, or just has bad taste:
pretty hate machine
broken
the downward spiral
the fragile

buy them. they're good, i swear.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. The Downward Spiral & The Fragile definitely take time and repeated listens to really appreciate. I know that with The Fragile, I didn't care much of it at first listen -- and at first listen, I was long-past my NIN-worship phase, so I was reasonably objective -- but it grew and grew on me until it stands where it is today, as one of my favorite albums ever.

Pretty Hate Machine & Broken both hold places in my heart, but I think they're almost "period pieces" rather than the timeless brilliance of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. Pretty Hate Machine is über-wimpy-catchy-fag synthpop and Broken is über-angsty hard rock. I do think they're worthwhile and necessary additions to any NIN collection, but they don't hold the power of his two aforementioned masterpieces.

To add to what DarkAngel (I think) was saying: the EPs and remixes are THE BOMB. Fixed is great; the Coil remix of "Gave Up" is worth the cost of the disc alone. Further Down the Spiral is also great, for that awesome remix in two parts (the name escapes me, sorry) and for Aphex Twin's joke "remixes." The Closer single rules, although it can be tough to find these days (Halo 9, I think, preferably the US version on a single disc); again, the Coil remixes are wonderful, as is the cover of Soft Cell's "Memorabilia." The single for the Perfect Drug is fantabulous, and features some of the best drum'n'bass remixes I've heard (by Jack Dangers of Meat Beat Manifesto and Luke Vibert of Plug/Wagon Christ/etc.). Get the import version if you can, since that includes all five remixes plus the extended version of the original. I'm not a big fan of Things Fall Apart; it's a little too dancy for me. But that's Charlie Clouser's fault.

- Chris

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:17 PM Post #35 of 56
Oh... also, if you want a modern version of Pretty Hate Machine that's slightly less cheesy but a little bit more emo, get Give Up by The Postal Service.

- Chris

Aug 5, 2003 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Pretty Hate Machine & Broken both hold places in my heart, but I think they're almost "period pieces" rather than the timeless brilliance of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. Pretty Hate Machine is über-wimpy-catchy-fag synthpop and Broken is über-angsty hard rock. I do think they're worthwhile and necessary additions to any NIN collection, but they don't hold the power of his two aforementioned masterpieces.

i agree totally. i think those two albums should always be around for when one is in the mood, but at the same time, i don't feel they are the staples of what trent has done. this being said, i don't ever plan on getting rid of my copies.

i'm not a huge fan of remixes in general, they just never seem to hit it right with me. i do adore things fall apart's verion of "the fragile" though (with the violin). the live album or DVD "..and all that could have been" is definitely a good thing to pickup as well, as minya already mentioned.

Aug 5, 2003 at 8:09 PM Post #37 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by mclaren20
i think i got the one with 99 cause listening to it on the way home, i saw 96 on my screen and i thought What?!?!

so, which is the best?

It doesnt matter, but the CD5 with CD3 is rarer.

Aug 6, 2003 at 6:27 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by Dusty Chalk
And All That Could Have Been -- quite a nice live album, doubles as a bit of a greatest hits album, too, though concentrating on more recent stuff. If you're only going to get one album, I would recommend this one. [/B]

Am I the only person that thought this album sounded absolutely terrible? It got worse as it went on... not much of an audiophile album. I'd say "Fragile." I don't know if it gives you a great overview of the group / Trent but it's a great album.

Sep 28, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #40 of 56
The first two i got were With Teeth and Year Zero. Definitely get The Downward Spiral and The Fragile... those are my two favorites... PHM and Broken are good but I don't think With Teeth or Year Zero is Trent at his best... Although they're still great... I think anything my NIN is AMAZING so...

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #41 of 56
I'd suggest to get one of these tree albums: The Fragile, Year Zero or Ghosts I–IV. These are the albums that stand out to me most, but in my opinion, virtually everything by NIN is great in one way or another. As I read, some here wrote that their lyrics are bad, pathetic and whatnot, but I can't at all agree to this. It really depends on what you like, what mood you are in, what you're inclined in and so on - so nobody can objectively assess the value of their lyrics. But hey, isn't it the same with every other case? You either like it or you don't, that's all there is to it.

Here are some examples from the aforementioned albums: La Mer (from The Fragile), Another Version of the Truth (From Year Zero) and 28 Ghosts IV (Live) (from Ghosts I–IV).

To me, La mer is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever herd. The song from Year Zero, "Another Version of the Truth" is also truly great in my opinion, and if you'd like to know what it means, check this out (click on the image, hold the mousebutton and move it). There's a whole series of such websites accompanying and explaining the story of Year Zero; it's really a great concept album. One thing made me grin and think "wow!": near the end of the album he sings "all the black is really white, if you believe it", and since the disc has a heat-sensitive thermo-chrome surface it looks black when you put it in (cold), and after playback the disc is white because of heat. Well, and the last track from Ghosts pretty much shows that this man isn't afraid to evolve. He matured, and how he matured is great, if you ask me. I certainly am looking forward to his next studio album.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #43 of 56
ALL HAIL THE 7 YEAR NECROPOST

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #44 of 56
Time for me to take a hard minute to examine my NIN studio album prefaces: TDS>B>YZ>TF>PHM>TS>WT I don't count Ghosts IV and think Still has received too much credit. There is always some dude though that has show how much he knows Nails and will throw Still out there, or maybe one of the early EP's like Fixed or the March of the Pigs single for Repitilian, which was incredible.

I'm in a select group that thought Year Zero was fantastic, a bit of a second era Pretty Hate Machine and that The Fragile was a good album, an editor away from a great one. 

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #45 of 56
Year Zero didn't catch me at first, guess I'll have to give it another listen.

Lent my sister my only copy of PHM, never saw it again... Grrr.

Broken is still my fave, crank it up on the stereo with that intro. Angsty music indeed.

Of course Downward Spiral, brilliant album.

I see they haven't released Closure on DVD (had it on VHS). The music videos are must watches especially the ones from Broken (
very_evil_smiley.gif
) and possibly the greatest music video ever The Perfect Drug! (And watch Lost Highway at least once... lol)

Also, check out Devo's cover of Head Like A Hole, epicness!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back