Nine Inch Nails
Aug 2, 2003 at 6:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

mclaren20

Headphoneus Supremus
I have always liked them, but I am finally going to get one or two of their CD's.

Any recomendations?

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:24 AM Post #2 of 56
Pretty hate machine is without a doubt the best NIN album. If you're going to get one, get that. Everything else from there is downhill, maybe pick up the broken EP or something else, if you need your fix

Aug 2, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #4 of 56
Uhm. No.

Pretty Hate Machine is bad synthpop. Yes, it's good in a cheesy way, but it never steps outside its genre - bad synthpop. It's good for nostalgia and little else.

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are masterpieces, however. I recommend you get them both and study them carefully.

Afterwards get And All That could Have Been (preferably the limited 2CD set) and listen to those songs in a live setting.

- Chris

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:29 AM Post #5 of 56
Don't like them as much as I used too, but I agree with Minya. Good music, if a little overdone, and really stupid lyrics. If you can get past the lyrics, the Fragile is actually a great listen.

Aug 2, 2003 at 8:04 AM Post #6 of 56
Pretty Hate Machine is by far their best album. Get it.

Aug 2, 2003 at 7:36 PM Post #8 of 56
I wouldn't waste any money on a NIN album though, and it's not like Trent Reznor needs my money anyway. It's a little late for that, now, because I own every single NIN release, domestic and import. It's amazing how my tastes have changed in 1.5 years.

Aug 2, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by penvzila
I wouldn't waste any money on a NIN album though, and it's not like Trent Reznor needs my money anyway. It's a little late for that, now, because I own every single NIN release, domestic and import. It's amazing how my tastes have changed in 1.5 years.

wanna sell any?
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2003 at 11:00 PM Post #10 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Uhm. No.

Pretty Hate Machine is bad synthpop. Yes, it's good in a cheesy way, but it never steps outside its genre - bad synthpop. It's good for nostalgia and little else.

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile are masterpieces, however. I recommend you get them both and study them carefully.

Afterwards get And All That could Have Been (preferably the limited 2CD set) and listen to those songs in a live setting.

- Chris

I forgot to put the IMHO.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 56
Pretty Hate Machine is about the only good NIN album. Trent Reznor takes himself way too seriously, and it shows on everything he made after PHM. The Fragile bored me to tears, literally repeating the same song so many times with slight differences. Makes even Funker Vogt's Survivor sound good...

Edit: Oh, despite not liking anything else NIN put out, I really like Pretty Hate Machine. Easily one of my favorite albums. It sounds like what it is, late 80's EBM, but is quite good nonetheless.

Aug 3, 2003 at 10:49 PM Post #12 of 56
I'll put in a vote for Downward Spiral, but also go off the beaten path a little and recommend Reznor's Quake 1 soundtrack. Pretty dark ambience, and without any lyrics. This is more ambient than regular NIN stuff, though...doesn't really sound anything like it. Which occasionally is a good thing.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #13 of 56
Quote:

Originally posted by strohmie
I'll put in a vote for Downward Spiral, but also go off the beaten path a little and recommend Reznor's Quake 1 soundtrack. Pretty dark ambience, and without any lyrics. This is more ambient than regular NIN stuff, though...doesn't really sound anything like it. Which occasionally is a good thing.
tongue.gif

i have so many game OST's and just game music its sad.
tongue.gif

i just picked up PHM and the live one. cant remember the freakin name.
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 56
mclaren20, you wouldn't happen to have the soundtrack for Castlevania: SOTN (AKA best soundtrack ever made
biggrin.gif
), would you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back