NiMH in the external pack?
Nov 7, 2001 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

blr

500+ Head-Fier
I have Sharp MT866 MD portable. It uses a gumstick rechargable internally and has an external battery pack. The manual states that one shouldn't use rechargables in the external pack, i.e. only alkalines and metal oxide baterries.
Can someone explain the reason for this? Is it dangerous to the player to use 1,2 V NiMH?

Nov 8, 2001 at 4:32 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
I have Sharp MT866 MD portable. It uses a gumstick rechargable internally and has an external battery pack. The manual states that one shouldn't use rechargables in the external pack, i.e. only alkalines and metal oxide baterries.
Can someone explain the reason for this? Is it dangerous to the player to use 1,2 V NiMH?

Of course not. Alkalines start their life at 1.5V (or even a little higher) and boil down continually until you throw them away. Their mAh rating is usually for when they reached 0.9V. OTOH, NiMHs more or less continually provide 1.2V over their entire decharging time, degrading the voltage only very little. It is always better to use rechargeables unless it is a really low-drain device (like a tv remote) or idle discharging is an issue (like in an emergency flashlight).

Nov 8, 2001 at 12:44 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by blr
The manual states that one shouldn't use rechargables in the external pack...

That caveat simply means that you cannot recharge those rechargeables in the external battery pack - you'll have to use a separate charger to recharge those batteries. DUH!

Nov 8, 2001 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 4
Well the manual explicitly states that only alkalines should be used in the external pack, just checked. You cannot phisically charge with the case on since the unit charges on a stand (through the same contacts thet are used for the external pack, so obviously the latter should be removed).
I was thinking if this has something to do with battery resistance for instance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back