NiMH Batt pack for Headroom Amp? Any suggestions?
Apr 28, 2004 at 4:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Shrub

New Head-Fier
In an effort to make my Cosmic amp a bit more portable, I will like to construct a 4 or 5 cell NiMH battery pack, perhaps high capacity AAA (1.2v 700mah) or AA batteries (1.2v 2000mah). I am aware the "run-time" will be drastically reduced. Will this work? Thanks!! Steve.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 5
It seems like this should work...with the reasearch I did on NiCad D cells (since I couldn't find any NiMH D cells) the largest capacity D cells I could find were between 4000-5000mah. Therefore, if you were to use 2000mah AA's, then you would probably get at least 4, maybe 6 hours of use with each charge.

Have you tried to contact Headroom? It wouldn't surprise me if one of their techs could ask one of their engineers if this would work and what the limitations would be.

Since I've been looking into the Cosmic--I'd be very interested in this as well.

BTW, which cans do you use with the Cosmic? Do you use it with the Base Staion One as well?

Which amps did you compare it to when you decided to purchase it?

I've been doing research and was interested in any opinions on the Cosmic vs. other trans-portable amps out there (not the reall small ones).

Good luck--I hope you get the help you need.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 5
Also, it seems as though battery makers have been getting rid of rechargeable C and D batteries of late. Almost all of the D-size rechargeables that made it to the mass market are simply C-size cells put into a bigger shell!
eek.gif
Moreover, the cell is the same actual cell that also goes into the same company's C-size rechargeables, as well. And the capacity of current (or recent) C- and D-size rechargeables is barely any higher than that of the latest AA-size rechargeables.
very_evil_smiley.gif

(NOTE: I'm referring to NiMH rechargeable batteries in this post.)

Apr 28, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 5
Hi Shrub,

As long as you supply it with 5-6 volts with the correct polarity it will work though maybe only for 30 min.

Jamey

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:12 AM Post #5 of 5
Some AA Nimh are going for 2400mah or more. Put two battery packs (4 AA Nimh each) in parallel and you get just about the power of 4 C or 4 D batteries. AA's are more readily available too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back