Nik's Custom R10 Amplifier...
Jul 26, 2002 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 72

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Jul 26, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 72
what are the specs on it? it looks neat
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #4 of 72
Not sure on the specs, but I do know it's tube based.

Jul 26, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 72
I really wonder what is so special about this amp. I bet Nik has some reasons to believe that this is an ultimate amplifier for R10, but why? I expect it to be all-out when it comes to parts and wiring, but what about its design makes it the best?

Maybe Nicola will shed some light on this mystery
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 72
Vert, who do you think you're fooling? We know you've got more than that one beautiful little teaser pic. Come on, cough 'em up!

Jul 27, 2002 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 72
Sorry, this really is the only pic Nik sent me. Maybe he'll send me more later.

zzz, well quite simply this amp was custom designed around the R10s. Just as the Blockhead was custom designed around the HD600. Every part that goes into this amp goes into it for one goal, and one goal only...to make the R10s sound their best. Not Grados, not Sennheisers, but the Sony MDR-R10s. This amp doesn't have to deal with the "what ifs" of trying to drive every headphone on the face of this earth. I don't know how much it costed Nik but I can imagine it wasn't cheap.

Jul 27, 2002 at 9:08 AM Post #10 of 72
Dear friends,

The new “R-10H” (ultimate custom tube amp for R-10) is yet in the table of the technician for the last control and regulations. At this moment I can to say that is custom built “only” for the R-10, is a totally tube single ended amp. Inside there are the world’s best components, totally hand made and “air cabled”, point to point, with audiotekne cable. The transformers are custom built for the 40 ohm of the cans. The pot is the splendid Alps RK 50 (500$). The mains supply is tube too. The wooden aspect (similar to the wooden caps of the cans) is 2,5 cm thickness and gives his contribute to the sound of the amp. The amp I built in a minimalist conception: no pre, one out, two mounths of work to build. Only two tubes new sovtek triode. But at this moment I haven’t listen yet and I can’t to have any photos more. Please wait, this photo is just an introduction… About cost I can to tell that only for the components I spent 4000 $. I don’t know the final price… (if you have not more notice from me it means that I sold even my computer….???? !!!!). When I ordered this new amp I asked to the constructor: “Can you build an amp that sounds better my EAR with the R-10?” he told me: “The amp will sound infinity better than the EAR HP-4”.
I’ll let you to know everything about this “R-10H” when ready.

VERTIGO-1, THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP!!!!!

Friendly
Nik

PS:
I remember to all that I’m selling a new AKG K1000 and the old version of TheMax Headroom (230v).

Jul 27, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #12 of 72
I’m not a technician, but I spent 4000$ at this moment that is simply the cost of components: transformers (custom built), capacitors, resistors, cable, pot (as I told the Alps RK 50 that costs 500$ directly from Japan), the handmade wooden box, and so on. All the components are the best quality on the planet. Did you see the EAR HP-4 inside? How much for his components???? Sovtek tubes… the normal Alps RK 40, Daewoo capacitors (!!!???)… and do you know the price of this amp? (3500$). Did you see the little Grado amp inside? The value of the components is less than 50$. I have the cost specifications of each components of the “R-10H” amp. The Sovtek tube is a new one triode, I don’t remember the name…and do not exist a NOS version of this valve. I have yet listen the amp, but (as I think) if the sound is much, much better than my precedent EAR… (as the constructor promise to me) I can to be very, very happy, even for the good investment of money. If I spent near 4000$ for the R-10 cans, I pretend all the quality sound of this musical instrument. Good?
tongue.gif

PS:
Have you an idea how much my source is? (Linn Sondek CD 12)....

Jul 27, 2002 at 3:00 PM Post #13 of 72
Linn Sondek CD 12! Wow Nic, your going to have one of the best headphone systems on the planet.
I toyed with the idea of buying one of Doc Bottleheads custom headphone amps @ ~$3,000.00 but it's beyond my means. However I think that I can understand why your doing this. after hearing Dan's amp its hard to go back to my system.

Jul 27, 2002 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 72
Quote:

Originally posted by MirandaX
You're spending over $4000 on a transformer-coupled headphone amp using Sovtek tubes??? You have more faith than I ever could...

Miranda,

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you refering to the reliability factor of Sovtek tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back