Nikon Film SLR suggestions
Jan 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

hembergler

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm starting a photography class this next semester at school. Because of this, I think it would be a good idea for me to get a decent film camera, preferably Nikon (because I have a 50mm f/1.8 lens already).

I've done some research, but it's hard for me to grasp the relative merits of so many models that I've never heard of (as I only know about DSLRs). My current line of thinking is to pick up an N80 for ~$100, but I'm not set on it. Any thoughts/suggestions? I would like to keep it under $125.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #2 of 34
How much film will you be using, and do you have to pay for film and developing?

If so, you'll probably save money in the long run if you pick up a used D50/D70 (the D40/D60 will not AF with your 50mm f/1.8, assuming you have the AF version, that is).

BTW, does the photograph school require an SLR? Don't get me wrong, I have TONS of fun with my D300 and lenses, but if the course is primarily based on composition you could get away with a Holga! There are plenty of P&S digitals that could work within your budget and take excellent photos, so long as there is enough light (most budget P&S crap out at/above ISO400)

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 34
I have an N80, and it is a very nice camera, with handling very similar to Nikon DSLR's. If you can find an F100 for a similar price, go for it, as it is generally better built (and meter with Ai/AiS lenses, which the N80 doesn't). Those are the cams I would go with, as they are the most recently made midrange Nikon film SLR's. The F4-5-6 is out of your price range, and probably larger than you'd want to deal with anyway.

Jan 18, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 34
The FM2 were a decent and reliable film camera. It is a manual camera with centre weighted metering and a 250th sec flash syncro speed. The only thing i didn't like about them was the masking in the viewfinder which gave you about 92% of the actual image and the large image in the viewfinder.

It might be worth it to spend a bit more and get a F series. I have only used the non metered Nikon F and F2, so cannot comment on the F3, F4 and F5. The F and F2's year of manufacture was indicated in the first 2 numbers of the serial number. I presume it is the same for the rest. If you can get an F series that hasn't been used professionally, it will outlive you.

The 50mm 1.8 is a great lens- better than the 1.4 version. The nikkors 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.8 105mm 2.5 and 200mm f4 were excellent lenses too and not too expensive either.

Jan 18, 2009 at 10:40 AM Post #7 of 34
I own a Nikon FM2 and still using it for astrophotography
bigsmile_face.gif

It is a manual camera body, you have to adjust the aperture, shutter speed yourself, but for me the big difference compare to an auto is auto-focus.

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 34
I would go for a F series, particularly the F100 if you can cough up the cash. I started with a FM2, which is a very reliable camera and can take a beating. I currently have an N6000, which isn't as sturdy (the rear door latch has a tendency to break).

Jan 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 34
I'd probably recommend going with a classic manual nikon (I have an FM) because I find them more "fun" than their modern film counterparts at this point (I owned an N90s until recently which is the precursor to the F100).

Still, an N80 or F100 wouldn't be bad, the F100 is a great camera for the money although I have no idea what they go for used. I still have my Canon EOS 3 which is similar to the F100 and I suspect both will be a bit more than you want to spend.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get a classic, like the Nikon FE!

seconded! if you're gonna go with film might as well go the long haul and learn the basics of photography. those skills are invaluable even if you shoot digital most of the time.
the FE is really nice and easy to use, the lightmeter is brilliant and all controls are right at your fingertips. besides, they're cheap and don't ever break.

Jan 19, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #12 of 34
Man get a nikon FE!! All mechanical and a work of art, I love using that camera more than any of my other cameras, D700 included.

Jan 19, 2009 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 34
FE, FM2. If you want more 'modern' check out F801 or F801s (aka F8001). They have great features and they are cheap bodies, AF, multiple exposure, TTL flash, matrix metering, and they are cheap.

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:38 AM Post #14 of 34
The FE, FM, FE2 and FM2 are based on the same platform. The FE and FE2 have aperture priority auto exposure with a continuously variable electronic shutter. The FM and FM2 have a mechanical shutter. Both shutter curtains travel vertically. The 1st series have a flash synchro speed of 125th of a sec, and the second a flash syncro speed of 250th and higher shutter speeds.

The FM and FE predecessor, the Nikkormat was quite a decent camera.

The F series was Nikon's pro series with a horizontal moving shutter and considerably more expensive than the consumer/prosumer lines. I am sure the F100 was not part of the F series and I actually think it was a light pick up truck made by Ford. . The series started with the legendary F, and following in numerical sequence ie F1, F2, F3, etc. No idea where they are now and don't care.

I remember this from my days when i used these for a living, working for what is seemingly now one of the world's most evil corporations. It was stressful, ego driven and very competitive. I lasted for 15 years before I escaped with what was left of my soul. Not a profession i'd recommend to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back