Nikon D70
Jun 7, 2005 at 7:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

perplex

500+ Head-Fier
anyone have one of these beauties? is it worth the price? i'm thinking of getting one because we've never had a digital camera and i've only heard excellent things about this.

however i dont know what to think of the optionally included lense, is the 3.8x "ok" ? i mean i dont expect to be able to zoom into a rabbit on a hill from 10 miles away and see my reflection in its eye. but still it would be nice to get a good shot from slight distance away.

i just want something reliable that can take a bit of sudden movements on holidays/travelleing etc, and not have to worry about upgrading to anything else ever again.

i've seen people uploading their Nikon D70 created images on forums around the internet in the past and its just breathtaking.

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 24
I've had one for over a year now, bought one of the first ones that I could find. I've been a photog freak for a few years now
smily_headphones1.gif
. My only suggestion would be this, don't assume that because you have a nice camera that you're going to get good pictures. While programs, routines and auto settings can get you pretty far there's no subsitute for experience and learning the right way to use a camera. I shot film for about 5 years before I went digital, often getting only 1 or 2 useable prints from a roll of film. Not cheap, but it taught me a lot. Digital cameras are great tools for this type of learning as they allow you to shoot without the worry that you have to develop ever picture you take, however you can be lulled into complacancy and just shoot and shoot and shoot without really thinking about what you're doing. I still get trapped in this from time to time and generally miss the shot that I wanted to get.

Another key componant with DSLRs is that you ususally need to develop some skills using an image inhancement program. If you used to, and like, the punchy and extremely colorful pictures that point and shoot cameras produce you're likely to be disappointed initially with the D70, or any Nikon DSLR for that matter. Nikon seems to pride themselves on accurate color rendering and detail while Canon tends to produce more of what the average consumer looks for in an image. That's not to say that one is better than the other, they both make fantastic cameras. It just so happens I have always had Nikon gear so that's what I've stuck with. The D70 comes with a program called Nikon Capture (I'm pretty sure anyway) that allows you to pretty easily manipulate the captured image and tailor it to your liking. I use a combination of this software along with Adobe Photoshop and a few others to work my images depending on the level I'm trying to get them to. This step in digital photography is usually handled in camera with P&S cameras so you just need to know what you're getting yourself into with more advanced equipment. This also isn't to say that the D70's images don't look good straight out of the camera, they do, but they can be made to look better
smily_headphones1.gif

Enough about those topics, on to the camera itself.

I've shot around 3000 pictures with my D70 over the past year without fault. The kit lens is an absolute bargin in Nikon terms. The only other walkaround lens I'd consider is the 24-120VR lens, but it's not supposed to be as sharp as the kit lens and doesn't have the wide angle capabilties. The only move I make in the Nikon line would be up to something like the D2X, which unless I want a divorce isn't going to happen.

If you want an extremely in-depth review of the D70 I suggest looking at the following link: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/.

Feel free to ask more detailed questions if you've got them, I could go on and on about digital photography.

Finally, here's one of my favorite D70 shots, it's a house that I did the structural design on.

large.jpg

Some of the jpeg artifacts are due to online resizing. For the original pic go here - http://www.pbase.com/n_maher/image/42206744

Hope that helps,

Nate

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 24
i dunno how that compares to other cameras but that shot sure as hell is georgous. or is it just the house thats georgous?
biggrin.gif

because its 6.1MP you can zoom in and still retain more than adaquate detail right?

thats the best question i could come up with for now, i'm still thinking though
biggrin.gif

Thanks

Jun 7, 2005 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 24
Yes, you can crop the image quite a bit and still get a useable 4x6 print. The other key thing to remember with DSLR's is that a 6.1mp point and shoot will not give you near the resolution as a SLR. This is due to the fact that the DSLR uses a much larger sensor with bigger pixles which can collect light much more effectively. This larger sensor also allows you to shoot in lower light situations without much digital noise.

I also own a Nikon Coolpix 4500 and for day to day use I can get the same basic images out of both cameras. But for stuff that I want to shoot for more than average reasons the D70, hands down, spanks the 4500. The only area where the 4500 is better is at macro stuff, and the D70 could be made just as good with a dedicated macro lense.

Nate

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #6 of 24
Some of the best lenses are the simpliest ones. If you can live without a variable focal length (Zooming), then look into fixed focal length (prime) lenses.

35mm or 50mm with anywhere from f1.2 - f2 is a good place to start.

I have the Pentax *ist DS, and it uses the same Sony CCD sensor that the D70 uses. I love it.

-Ed

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 24
N Maher raises some good points. My question to you Perplex would be what exactly are you hoping to achieve with the camera? If you are looking to take pictures that you can ship around to people electronically, then this will more than suffice (although I'm a Canon guy, myself) and you could actually scale down a bit. If you are looking to take really nice shots suitable for printing you may want to go with this and go the fixed focal length route. If you don't have a lot of experience taking pictures, this may prove to be a bit frustrating for you. The best way to learn how to take a great picture is to take a lot of pictures. Digital media certainly makes this easier on the pocketbook, but artistic quality is sacrificed.

Having said all of this, I must tell you that digital photography is the Cole's notes of Photo Imaging... its "cheating". True art is achieved from working with film and all of its nuances.

N Maher, where is that house located? Incredible design.

-Bababooey

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
hi :]

do you guys know if this lens is good? http://www.expresscameras.com/prodet...102119&start=1

or not recommended?

Edwood but isnt a few "x" zoom Much better than none at all surely? doesnt it limit your shooting options, because you might just need the Slight extra zoom :/

It's alright, but the problem with this lens is its f-stop ratings... you will require an abundant source of light for this lens to be of value to you. If you are open to used equipment and are in the toronto area, I could recommend some places for you to check out.

Jun 7, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 24
well i'm ordering from UK.

i've found a nice price of the D70 without lens, but dont mind ordering from another site just for lens.

but what lens do you recommend for me? :]

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Abouey
N Maher, where is that house located? Incredible design.
-Bababooey

It's actually in N.Hampton, NH. Sits right on the Atlantic Ocean. Here's another view from earlier in the construction.

medium.jpg

Jun 8, 2005 at 12:33 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by perplex
Edwood but isnt a few "x" zoom Much better than none at all surely? doesnt it limit your shooting options, because you might just need the Slight extra zoom :/

but what lens do you recommend for me? :]

Some would aruge that the best way to learn how to take pictures is to start with no zoom, again though, that's the long road and may not be what you're after. That said, 9 times out of 10 a fixed focal length lens (no zoom) is going to out perform a similarly priced zoom lens and be faster (able to shoot in less light at higher shutter speeds). This is simply because the design is more strightforward and has fewer moving parts.

As to what lens I would recommend, I think you should buy the Nikon "kit" lens that is sold with the D70 (Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED) which is a great all around lens and won't break the bank. You could spend less, sure, but think about the whole process not just the cost. The best camera in the world isn't going to produce a good picture with a crap lens. It could be said that you should spend more on your lens than you do on the camera. This is especially true of film camera where all your buying in a camera body is a shutter, the lens and the film do all the work. For digital it's still mostly true buy you can't change sensors so make sure the one you get will do what you need.

Last point, if you're looking for a walkaround, snap a few pictures camera, I'd highly suggest moving down Nikon's line one step to the new D50. It has the same sensor as the D70 just slightly reduced features. If you're not going to play with manual exposure modes, exposure compensation, etc. you might as well buy less camera. Canon also has some very nice offering in their DSLR lineup, if I didn't already have Nikon glass when I went shopping I might very well be a Canon guy as historically their cameras are about 10% cheaper.

Nate

Jun 8, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
It's actually in N.Hampton, NH. Sits right on the Atlantic Ocean. Here's another view from earlier in the construction.

medium.jpg

Extraordinary location and again, a very cool design. Thanks for the extra pic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back