Nightwish - Century Child
Jul 12, 2002 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Braver

Will upgrade headphoneswhen there's a MX600.
you go out to buy some MD MD blanks, and suddenly in the corner of your eye, there this CD with such a beautyfull cover and Nightwish in big letters on it. and not a cover you remember. damn...

thought Tarja was out to do some classical singing, guess she's back eh
smily_headphones1.gif
anyway, **** happens apparently, so I just had to check it out. trade-mark kick-ass stuff, not as fixated on speed as I remembered them. needless to say, I took it home (way to expensive... ah well). listenig to it for the first time now, so can't say much. seems to be structered like a concept album. also, they got a new bass player it seems, and guess what? he actually sings! takes soem guts to share the front with someone like Tarja. he does a good job too, adds a bit more variety if anything. not Damian Wilson (Treshold, Ayreon, Rick Wakeman) class or something ofcourse.

looked on the net...seems to be a special edition out there...my luck ey.

ah well, back to listening
cool.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 23
****, figures...the guy manages to completely screw a track after I wrote that first post. crap. he sings horribly on "Phantom Of The Opera". what was a serious album gets turned in something almost rediculous with the addition of almost grunt vocals. mmm...

off to find a Nightwish album without male vocals...

Jul 13, 2002 at 4:55 PM Post #4 of 23
sure going to!

Century Child is very good, musically. also very much like the more emotional tone of Tarja (instead of the straightforward opera power). I just can't listen to this guy. I know I shouldn't judge after one listen, but this was an easy decision. returned it and got the new Satriani instead (which is totally excelllent).

Jul 14, 2002 at 8:50 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by davidcotton
Hi Braver

Check out Wishmaster then.

Second this. Check also OCEANBORN - Great album... and even their first is worth listening - some great songs in it.

Jul 14, 2002 at 9:49 PM Post #6 of 23
Yeah, I like some NIGHTWISH stuff too, but there three other bands also featuring lead female vocalists that grab me with more intensity: DREAMS OF SANITY, EDENBRIDGE and DUNWICH. For those of you guys eventually interested, I would highly recommend these titles to start with:

DREAMS OF SANITY - The Game
EDENBRIDGE - Sunrise in Eden
DUNWICH - Eternal Eclipse of Frost

Regards

Jul 14, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by ArChaos

Second this. Check also OCEANBORN - Great album... and even their first is worth listening - some great songs in it.

doesn't that one have grunt vocals on them? I'll have to check them first them. I hardly ever find them not rediculous.

Jul 15, 2002 at 6:49 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

doesn't that one have grunt vocals on them? I'll have to check them first them. I hardly ever find them not rediculous.

It has some male vocals, but I wouldn't all them "grunt" as I can understand 99% of what they are singing. Whether you find them ridiculous or not is up to you!

Right I'm off to work see ya!!

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:04 PM Post #9 of 23
Quote:

No grunt vocals on OCEANBORN(I have the CD) - it's even hard for me to immagine Nightwish with grunt vocals...From what you say, they might have changed direction in their last album. From the first album I know only some of the songs and no grunts also - I don't have the CD, only mp3 samples...

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #10 of 23
well, my metal vocabulary is kinda shoddy.. I thought I read somewhere about Oceanborn having some male screaming kinda effects stuff..I'll download some tracks to find out.

theres no grunts on CC, the guy actually sings pretty clean most of the time, but in some places totally over-plays his role, trying to sound like a madman or something. he's also the only one who tries very hard to look al mean and nasty in the booklet... I'm totally not into metal besides the sophisticated non-agressive prog-metal bands (DreamTheater, Treshold) and the odd Anathema. so, if you're from the Dimmu Borgir, Blind Guardian etc camp you'll probably be cool with it.

Jul 15, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

theres no grunts on CC, the guy actually sings pretty clean most of the time, but in some places totally over-plays his role, trying to sound like a madman or something. he's also the only one who tries very hard to look al mean and nasty in the booklet... I'm totally not into metal besides the sophisticated non-agressive prog-metal bands (DreamTheater, Treshold) and the odd Anathema. so, if you're from the Dimmu Borgir, Blind Guardian etc camp you'll probably be cool with it.

The male vocalist for Nightwish is a disaster. I have their debut cd, "Angels Fall First", and have also listened to some few other Nightwish tunes on mp3, and in all this stuff I know the male vocals are the downside of the music. That's why I said before that I enjoy some other bands like Dreams of Sanity, Edenbridge and Dunwich far better than Nightwish.

Jul 15, 2002 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 23
downloaded some tunes of Wishmaster...also the track called Kinslayer. another example of overdone male vocals *sigh. the music is great tho, and the vocals work ok within the the music. as it's the only track like that on the album, I'll probably be able to live with that. gonna check Demetrios suggestions first tho.

going O/T, but staying in the genre, you guys reckon Mandylion is a good place to start with The Gathering? lot's of rave-reviews anyways. (yeah I know I'm late with getting into them, but ye can't have it all ey.)

Jul 15, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

downloaded some tunes of Wishmaster...also the track called Kinslayer. another example of overdone male vocals *sigh. the music is great tho, and the vocals work ok within the the music. as it's the only track like that on thew album, I'll probably be able to live with that. gonna check Demetrios suggestions first tho.

You can't go wrong with the titles from Dreams of Sanity, Edenbridge and Dunwich I listed above.

Quote:

going O/T, but staying in the genre, you guys recon Mandylion is a good place to start with The Gathering? lot's of rave-reviews anyways. (yeah I know I'm late with getting into them, but ye can't have it all ey.)

The Gathering is another great band in the same genre. As for suggestions, personally I consider "How to Measure a Planet" a great option to start with, but all the others are excellent too.

Jul 16, 2002 at 9:38 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

downloaded some tunes of Wishmaster...also the track called Kinslayer. another example of overdone male vocals *sigh. the music is great tho, and the vocals work ok within the the music. as it's the only track like that on the album, I'll probably be able to live with that. gonna check Demetrios suggestions first tho.

going O/T, but staying in the genre, you guys reckon Mandylion is a good place to start with The Gathering? lot's of rave-reviews anyways. (yeah I know I'm late with getting into them, but ye can't have it all ey.)

Hi, Braver
I just put Kinslayer on the CD to check the male vocals...well, I hardly noticed them in the past - they are some kind of "background" dialog - I don't like them either, but I can live with them without problem... which brings me to the subject - if you personally cann't, then OCEANBORN, which I recomended to you, is not absolutelly "clean" of them either - but so are THE GATHERING and so is also another group I would warmlly recomend you, called LACUNA COIL - also great female voice and few male "interferences". I like very much...OK - VERY,VERY much - a group named MY DYING BRIDE(doom metal-not your cup of tea-I think) and I put up with much more gruntier vocals on some of their songs because the rest are so beautifull... All three - NIGHTWISH, THE GATHERING and LACUNA COIL are worth the effort
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2002 at 9:52 PM Post #15 of 23
I know Lacuna Coil, they're ok. IIRC Dusty called them a poor-mans Gathering, and that was my impression as well. and I'm pretty sure The Gathering stopped using those male vocals with the coming of Anneke van Giersbergen on Mandylion.

I downloaded some of Demetrios suggested albums. from the few songs I've heard, Dreams Of Sanity is definately interesting. bit of excessive double-bass drum use on the Edenbridge stuff, but pretty cool stuff. all lacking that full-force drive of Nightwish tho. haven't tried Dunwich yet as I can't get a steady download of them from Kazaa.

anyway, depending which I can find locally, I'm going to get Wishmaster (I guess I can live with the Kinslayer thing, it's built into the music quite craftly) or Mandylion. for the near future that is. and probably Dreams Of Sanity after that (it'll take some time for the order on that one, not exactly well known).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back