Nicknames At Work
Nov 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

appophylite

Headphoneus Supremus
Watching a few episodes of TV from different shows (Friends, MASH, Seinfeld, Frasier) reminded me of the entertainment derived from people's nicknames at work and occasionally the circumstances through which they are derived which led me to consider opening this thread:

Do you have a nickname at work (or school if you are still in school/college/etc.)?

I'll start: During my training phase at work, my boss once noted that if I were 10 inches shorter and 10 inches wider, with my skin color and my moustache, I would look like Cheech Marin. He started calling me Cheech from that day, and now, almost everyone on the rig I work at refers to me as 'Cheech'. There are even some people who just started 3 months ago or so who are so used to seeing people refer to me as Cheech that they don't even know my actual name!

Nov 17, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 22
No nickname at work.
They call me by my first name, or even full name if they don't know me that well.

Nov 17, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #3 of 22
Just Nick or Wever which is my surname. Some people -who like nicknames in general- call me Weevie. Baaad.
tongue.gif

BTW, I don't need a nickname. There are a lot of words that rhyme with Nick in the first place.
redface.gif

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #4 of 22
The last actual Nickname I had was way back in the 60s when I was in the Navy.

My last name kinda sounds like the Opera dude Puccini, and since I was rather open about my love for opera back then, my Nickname started as Puccini and developed into simply "Pooch".

....yeah; like a puppy.

Hey! I still keep in contact with a couple of guys I knew back then, and they still call me that!

Nov 17, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 22
Some people simply have very long name or name that's hard to pronounce.
I knew a vietnamese guy who wanted me to call him "tri", and I never able to pronounce his full firstname. "tri" or "tree?" become his nickname, even if it actually is a part of his real name. No problem there.

Nickname is bit different story.
If the nick come from good intention, I don't mind. But otherwise, that's nasty. People often made fun out of other's nickname. I met this guy CF, and his name is kinda long, and in fact... first name C, last name F. It looked like there's no problem though, the real reason why others call him CF is ... his face reminds them that of CatFish. All execpt him knew that. That's just sad.

Nov 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 22
Most people don't know my real name. I just give em a shortened "english-ized" version because it's easier to pronounce. (My real name isn't hard to say, people are just too lazy to try) So in a sense, it's my nick.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 22
We have 5 Ryans at my place (3 others sit within earshot of me) so I go by 'Mack'. At my last two jobs they independently came up with the nick of Harry Potter. The only advantage of my receding hairline is I don't quite look the part anymore.

Nov 17, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #12 of 22
At one point I actually knew more people by nickname than actual name at the P.O. The guys I worked with my first ~1 year had a nickname for everyone Some nice, others not so much. some highlights: One man called "Good-Eye" Joe, he thinks to this day that it is due to his attention to detail when in reality it is to differentiate him from "Lazy-eye" Joe, whom they simply call Joe (to his face).

Well I just spent 10 minutes thinking about nicknames and realized I cannot tell anymore because they are all incredibly lewd.

I recently changed shifts and The guys call me "Young Sharp" (My father is the senior man in the department).

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 22
edited

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:05 AM Post #15 of 22
I dont have any nicknames since my name is simple. Bobby. I however have a friend who has cycled through nicknames, notably Ham and Snake (his name is Henry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back