Nice Read: Why High-End Audio Matters
Apr 18, 2006 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

a1rocketpilot

500+ Head-Fier
I don't think this was posted earlier, so here it is:

http://news.designtechnica.com/talkback114.html

It even mentions headphones, albeit briefly. The main purpose is that everyone should at least once listen to a good system and that it doesn't cost 5 figures to get one.

Apr 18, 2006 at 8:38 AM Post #4 of 13
A nice companion article (which happens to mention my CDP
tongue.gif
):

http://www.stereophile.com/asweseeit/40/

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 13
Just stumbled on this thread, great article by the way. I do believe very much that quality gear leads to a more enriching and engaging experience.

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 13
I get his point, but that's like saying everyone should drive a SLK500 at least once, or that everyone should stay in a $1000 a night hotel at least once, or eat in a $50 a plate place at least once. It's like, "Great, thanks for sharing that." Doesn't really change anything, it's more like a pat on one's own back for appreciating sound if you know what I mean.

--Illah

Apr 20, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by humanflyz
I really enjoyed the Stereophile article; it essentially expresses why I pursue this insanity that we call a hobby.
icon10.gif

Quote:

High end can be an inexpensive product, provided that the designer's goal was to best convey the music. Indeed, a modestly-priced product that squeezes the last drop of musical performance from the parts cost is more high-end than an elaborate design that isn't fully realized. Again, the difference is in the designer's attitude: how much he cares about music determines how good the product is within the cost limitations.

All I can say is "amen" ... can't think of a better antidote to the "pricier is better" fallacy than an understanding like the one shown in the Stereophile article.

Apr 20, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 13
That was a good read, and it got me thinking about how I got into component audio. It was my dad, he's always had a really good system in the house and when I moved out I knew a bookshelf mini system wasn't going to cut it. Anyway, who got you hooked?

Apr 21, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #12 of 13
i hooked myself. pretty much.

that was an awsome article.

still, with that, most people will refuse to listen to a better system. im nto sure why. it dosnt cost anything.

Apr 21, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #13 of 13
I stumbled onto here the way I presume most teenagers do. I was dissatisfied with the sound quality of my current headphones with my new Zen Xtra so I went on a research quest to find some better models. After a bit of searching, I noticed that this "Head-Fi" kept popping up a lot, so I decided to take a look. Worst decision of my life
orphsmile.gif
! After a bit of searching and deliberation, I decided to go with the DT-770/80's, since though they may not be truly reference, they were purported to be really fun. Well, time marches on since then and the rest is history I guess...

Aditya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back