Nice rack!!!
Mar 9, 2004 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by rsaavedr
Goodness Rob, no pics of record stores allowed
wink.gif

There are actually more piles of CD's to the left of that pic out of shot and a whole stack of vinyl below the equipment.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Rob N
There are actually more piles of CD's to the left of that pic out of shot and a whole stack of vinyl below the equipment.
biggrin.gif

Yes I think I remember seeing other pics of your place in some other thread, with a pair of R10's sneaking in some corner of a shot. You have some jaw opening collection for sure. Man my CD rack is about just one of your shelves, + a CD case
frown.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2004 at 10:24 PM Post #20 of 36
rack3.jpg

This is, of course, home-made from 3/4" mesquite, with 1/2" rosewood shelves, befitting of Texas... holds about 400.

Mar 10, 2004 at 3:59 AM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
That's a great looking rack (I was thinking about picking one of these up). I have a couple of questions though. It's hard for me to tell, but is the top of the drawers covered when closed? There seems to be gaps between the drawers, and I'm wondering if you can see all the contents in the drawers when they are closed. For mine, I was thinking of two shelves and just one drawer at the bottom for storage of various items (possibly CD's) and I'd prefer if those items were not visable when the drawer is closed. Also, do you put CD's in these drawers (just stack them inside or is there an available CD organizer/ holder for these drawers)? Sorry for all the questions, but you got me a little excited with all the pictures.
biggrin.gif

You can optionally put shelves above the drawers to make covers. The picture shows it done this way. The shelves are pricey and take up room though. It came with shelves but I needed extras for the adjacent equipment rack. Also, there's no knob or anything to pull the drawer so you have to leave a space to grab the drawer face to open it. I have a double wide 30" unit under my TV. On the left side is a door with shelving behind it for laserdiscs, etc. On the right side I have drawers. My discs are just sitting in there but they do make a special "media tray" that fits into the drawer perfectly. I had to put a piece of wood in the back of the drawer because the very back is obscured. In this configuration I can fit 3 columns of 28 discs into each. The discs are just visible with everything closed, but I imagine you could adjust the drawer spacing a bit if you wanted. I like the setup, but I'm running out of room for discs, so I think I'll soon be getting a normal rack. Not sure what I'll put in the drawers though.

edit: add. http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/synmedia.jsp

Mar 10, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #23 of 36
This old rack used to hold about 500 discs (in jewel cases) but since converting the collection over to our cases, I can get about 1200 discs onto this rack. the shelf heights being adjustable makes it work for my needs. (pic too large to load--sorry about that)

Mar 10, 2004 at 5:18 AM Post #24 of 36
My cd rack is just this shelf located above the fireplace. So I lit up the fireplace to beautify this pic a bit
biggrin.gif
The DVD rack behind the speaker is a set of two inexpensive shelves stacked together, got them in Target:
cdrack.jpg

Mar 11, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
You can optionally put shelves above the drawers to make covers. The picture shows it done this way. The shelves are pricey and take up room though. It came with shelves but I needed extras for the adjacent equipment rack. Also, there's no knob or anything to pull the drawer so you have to leave a space to grab the drawer face to open it. I have a double wide 30" unit under my TV. On the left side is a door with shelving behind it for laserdiscs, etc. On the right side I have drawers. My discs are just sitting in there but they do make a special "media tray" that fits into the drawer perfectly. I had to put a piece of wood in the back of the drawer because the very back is obscured. In this configuration I can fit 3 columns of 28 discs into each. The discs are just visible with everything closed, but I imagine you could adjust the drawer spacing a bit if you wanted. I like the setup, but I'm running out of room for discs, so I think I'll soon be getting a normal rack. Not sure what I'll put in the drawers though.

edit: add. http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/synmedia.jsp

Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 10:25 AM Post #27 of 36
you know what i'd like to have is those unfortunately small cd racks seen at Brokstone. they are very small, so you'de have to buy a lot of them, but the slots that hold the cds actually eject them when you press inward on them. really cool, imo!

pabbi,
WOW!!! i'm very impressed! very well done! especially since it's DIY! what a wonderful looking design that looks like it takes up very little space. it looks like it would my type of style. did you create the design? do you have instructions on how to build it? or better yet, because i suck at building things and lack the tools to do so, how much would you charge to make one for me??? a long shot i know, but i really like the looks of it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #28 of 36
It's amazing how a well organized space kinda kills the Wife factor a bit. When you enter my space you don't see any exposed CD jewel cases and the records are placed on shelving that creates a barrier wall and can't be seen until you have entered the space completely. This took a lot of planning and some custom work but it turned out great. I'll post a pic soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back