Nice little headphone swap
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Kassem

500+ Head-Fier
Earlier today I met up with fellow head-fier Virometal and we swapped phones. I'm going to be borrowing his Sony SA5K's for a week or so.

I am currently on the first song and let me start off by saying WOW
280smile.gif

First song is Time from Dark Side of the Moon

I can definitely understand what that veil of sennheisers are. These are upfront.. not bright like the Grados but the instruments are definitely right there. I feel like there is also more seperation. At first it was almost annoying but it feels like the guitar is ONLY in the right ear. I'm getting used to it now but it wasnt so prominently one sided with the HD600's.

I'd say that I like the vocals more on the HD600's.. but all the instruments sound better on these SA5K's.

I know that my amplifier isn't doing either phones justice.. but its all I have for them right now, and its enough to hear the differences anyways. I'm on the list for the HeadFive and I plan on trying out an old vintage tube amp that I hear good things about.
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways.... bbaaaccck to listening.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 12
Oh man.

Kassem, I started with the HD600 and got the SA5k and remember being where you are.

Run away. Save your wallet now. It's like once you begin to see all the great cans and sonic approaches - then it starts to get crazy.

Oh, key word of advice. Even if you decide that another can impresses you more, don't sell your HD600. That's one of the ones I regret selling.

Best,

-Jason

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 12
Haha, I have both the HD650 and the SA5K, and I love my SA5K more for the same reasons you've experienced.
tongue.gif

My only complaint is with my specific pair. The comfort leaves much to be desired. My right earpad has been rather rigid since the beginning and digs into my skull while my left earpad is soft and comfortable. Arrrrrrghhh!

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Haha, I have both the HD650 and the SA5K, and I love my SA5K more for the same reasons you've experienced.
tongue.gif

My only complaint is with my specific pair. The comfort leaves much to be desired. My right earpad has been rather rigid since the beginning and digs into my skull while my left earpad is soft and comfortable. Arrrrrrghhh!

Can't you send them back?.. Isnt that a defect?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
Oh man.

Kassem, I started with the HD600 and got the SA5k and remember being where you are.

Run away. Save your wallet now. It's like once you begin to see all the great cans and sonic approaches - then it starts to get crazy.

Oh, key word of advice. Even if you decide that another can impresses you more, don't sell your HD600. That's one of the ones I regret selling.

Best,

-Jason

How terribly badly I want to take your advice...... but seriously.. I want to proceed. Hopefully me being a complete tight wad will help me along the way.

And I will not be selling the HD600's until I am done comparing them to everything else
smily_headphones1.gif

Jeremy

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 12
I hated the SA5K the first two times I heard it. Somehow, I really liked it on the third. No idea how. I think it compliments a Sennheiser nicely. Fast and bright, Dark and slow. You can't get more opposite.

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Me wants SA5K now.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67
Me wants SA5K now.
biggrin.gif

Then I'd better not tell you how I feel about the RS1.

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

lol

Apr 2, 2006 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio

Grado is not my bag, baby.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #11 of 12
Embaldened people + Grados don't mix!
580smile.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 2:42 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed
Embaldened people + Grados don't mix!
580smile.gif

This man speaks the truth.

Beyers 4 lyfe!