Nice, isolated headphones... =)
Apr 2, 2004 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Deja Vu

Head-Fier
Hi there again, guys... =) Long time no see... =)

If there are any T-Boarders here, they'll recognize the title... =)

Anyway, I'm looking for a pair of closed headphones, preferably with a reasonable price tag... I'll use them at the Information Center (~ Library) and in my dorm room (my roommate can get pretty loud sometimes)...

Below are the phones I've been looking at:
  1. Beyerdynamic DT231: Will be damn hard to get, as they're not being sold in Turkey AFAIK
  2. Sennheiser HD212
  3. Sennheiser HD280: Gotta get a price quote, tho
  4. Sennheiser PX200: ???
  5. Ultrasone HFI-650: expensive, but there's a nice deal on a pair w/partly cracked headbands - still waiting for a reply on the actual condition of the phones ]

Please help me pick one, I have to make a quick decision... =)

Btw, I'm also open to other recommendations, but nothing over $100 and no earphones please... =)

Oh, and I mostly listen to Rock/Metal, but I also listen to other genres (such as Rap or Pop) from time to time...

Apr 2, 2004 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 46
I really enjoy the HD280's I use them at home a lot. They require a lot of burn in but when it's over they are a true joy. I would highly recommend them.

I also have the PX200's I like them a lot of portable uses but they don't have nearly the detail that the 280's do.

If you can only have one you should consider what you are going to be doing with them most of the time. Get the PX200's if you are going portable most of the time. If you will be using the headphones mostly at home get the 280's.

If you do get the 280 you should also know that they are head-vices for at least 2 weeks. Once they break in, though, they become very comfortable. I can wear them for hours on end now with little to no discomfort.

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #3 of 46
First of all, thank you for the quick reply... =)

I will be using the phones either in my room or at the IC, where they can be carried quite easily...

The extreme portability of the PX200s has got my attention too, but bloaty sound is one thing I can't stand while extra bass is...

Apparently, the PX200s have less bass and a bloatier (if that's a legal word) than HD280s... One other thing is that PX200s look way better than HD280s, but looks != sound quality, as proven by V700 (or at least that's what I read =))

Btw, I believe my head can be considered to be "big"... Would that be a problem with the HD280s and the 2-week uncomfortability issue you've mentioned?

And one more question: HD212 vs. HD280?

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #4 of 46
Hey Deja,

You got the same recommedation over at the T-Board - go for the PX200's. I should have mine on Monday or Tuesday, and I'll let the world know how they work.
wink.gif

Apr 2, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 46
The strange attraction between T-Boarders... =) Hi there, SBG... =)

I thought I could get different views at Head-Fi, and I don't think what Jasper994 said can be translated to "get the PX200s"...

I'm not so sure about them yet, they're cheap and easy to find, but I've read that they leaked sound, were hard to put on right, and that the sound was bloaty...

But please don't let what I say cause any kind of prejudice, and give the world an objective review... =))

I could really use an objective review on the PX200s now... =)

Apr 3, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #6 of 46
Some people love them some people hate them. I don't know what it depends on - the seal probably, but maybe the quality on these phones varies a lot, too
wink.gif

Oh, and they really need a LOT of burn-in. In the beginning I needed bass boost, now I can turn it off and have the same result (without the side-effects of cheap bass-boosts, that is
wink.gif
)

I personally like them. They have a dark presentation, but not to the point of being muddy. The bass is well defined and has big amounts of slam. The midrange is pretty good for a portable headphone while the highs are a bit recessed (hence the darkness :p ). Detail really isn't there, but who wants that on the run anyway...

It doesn't leak sound at normal listening levels, but you can still hear stuff anyway .. so I'd be careful if you wanted it loud. HD280s give much better Isolation.
Btw, rumour has it the HD202 is much better than the HD212.

I hope that helped

-Taurui

Edit: Btw, did you check on the Shure E2? They might be nice for you, too.

Apr 3, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Taurui
Btw, rumour has it the HD202 is much better than the HD212.

I would certainly disagree with that. The hd202 has all the problems of the HD212, just worse (boomy bass, piercing distorted highs) But anyway, I don't think neither are worthy to buy.

Apr 3, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #9 of 46
Quote:

And one more question: HD212 vs. HD280?

I both headphones, and by far the HD280 is a superior heaphone, its more analitical, everything is better. Some users find the 280s bassless, this is not my case, but I agree on this being its weakest point. The isolation is much better on the HD280 than on the HD212, but also the HD280 have a bigger clamping force that for some users its uncomfortable.

THe HD212 are decent headphones for gaming, they offer decent insulation, and have a lot of bloted and exagereted bass. The HD280 is a more analitical headphones with better definition, insulation and balance.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by augustwest
How about considering the Sony V6's. They are under $100.00, closed type design, easy to drive without an amp & durable.

- augustwest

...and damn hard to find... =) Remember, I live in Turkey, so no eBay for me...

Thank you all for your replies... From what I get, I should ask you guys some more about A500s (because they're easy to get for me, Audiocubes)

Tauri: You're talking about the HD212s, right? Or are you talking about PX200s? Shure E2c's sure look fine, but no earphones, not anymore...

Pablo Abularach: Extra bass is perfectly fine, in fact it's better, but I don't want it to be bloaty. I mean, what's the purpose of a headphone if you can't hear every inch-square of the crash cymbal? My current D66s let me do that, but they have no isolation whatsoever.

Question 1: How "bassless" are the HD280? Wouldn't I, as a Metalhead, be happy with them?

Question 2: How "bloaty" are the HD212s?

Question 3: Why doesn't anyone talk about Ultrasones? =))

Thanks again for all the replies... =)

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Déjà Vu
Question 3: Why doesn't anyone talk about Ultrasones? =))

Because they're so much better compared to the others in your list (i've not heard the dt231 though) it's not even worthy to comment. No-brainer really.

Apr 3, 2004 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by 00940
Because they're so much better compared to the others in your list (i've not heard the dt231 though) it's not even worthy to comment. No-brainer really.

You can have a lot of reviews about those using the search function

Yeah, I've read many reviews about them here, but it's hard to tell if they're comparing them against sub-$100 phones or $400 phones when a reviewer says bad things about them, that's why I asked the question in the first place...

If everyone agrees that they're way better than the others I've mentioned, I might take the deal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back