NG Audio - new high-end IEM and CIEM company with some pretty intriguing designs
Oct 27, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 26

These look interesting, but nothing about the design seems revolutionary (which is true for most realses, so nothing wrong here per se). I guess time will tell if these truly are top tier or if they are just another one shot to dust IEM. Now, if I consistently hear something like "these blow the K10s out of the water", THEN we have something potentially epic. But for now, would need more impressions after new toy syndrome has worn off.

I think we need a revolution in tuning, not necessarily in actual design. We have clearly figure out how to use many drivers, now we need to figure out how to completely leverage them.

I would consider Ken's latest Vega single dynamic driver to be quite revolutionary, and ADEL modules from Asius (with their previous collaboration w/64audio and now w/Empire Ears) are a breath of fresh air "for your ears"
wink.gif
  I'm also very impressed with a tuning of triple driver UERR or a dual drivers from Savant and Pristine-R.  At the same time, the coherency of 14driver Zeus-R (anxiously waiting for Zeus XR Adel) is nothing short of being amazing.  Plus, Audeze iSine open back in-ear planar - funky design, but definitely a serious innovation.  Even Westone W80, maybe not a revolutionary tuning, but I'm still puzzled how the heck did they stuff 8 BA drivers into that tiny shell?
beerchug.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #17 of 26
I think we need a revolution in tuning, not necessarily in actual design. We have clearly figure out how to use many drivers, now we need to figure out how to completely leverage them.

Well I have some ideas at hand, like emulating speaker-setups and put them into an IEM form-factor. (e.g. a 4 dynamic driver IEM; 2x2 push-pull)
Tuning is truly key right now, albeit we should focus on mechanical components before we tackle fancy 4th order crossovers. I don't think we need a revolution though. It's more about gradually making more efficient designs; improving things like THD+N. We are on a good way, let's just not force the issue.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 26
These look interesting, but nothing about the design seems revolutionary (which is true for most realses, so nothing wrong here per se). I guess time will tell if these truly are top tier or if they are just another one shot to dust IEM. Now, if I consistently hear something like "these blow the K10s out of the water", THEN we have something potentially epic. But for now, would need more impressions after new toy syndrome has worn off.

I'm not the type to go crazy with new things blowing older things out the water.... especially when the K10 remains one of my all time favorites. But this Capricorn is pretty high up there, in K10 territory along with Zeus R, Jomo 6R, and maybe Lear BD4.2. Better than all of those? No, that would be crazy hype. Better than some of them in some ways? Definitely. Still working on specifics though.

New toy syndrome doesn't tend to work for me either - way too much stuff blowing through here to really get excited, unless something is really worth it. And I believe this one is. 

I would consider Ken's latest Vega single dynamic driver to be quite revolutionary, and ADEL modules from Asius (with their previous collaboration w/64audio and now w/Empire Ears) are a breath of fresh air "for your ears"
wink.gif
  I'm also very impressed with a tuning of triple driver UERR or a dual drivers from Savant and Pristine-R.  At the same time, the coherency of 14driver Zeus-R (anxiously waiting for Zeus XR Adel) is nothing short of being amazing.  Plus, Audeze iSine open back in-ear electrostats - funky design, but definitely a serious innovation.  Even Westone W80, maybe not a revolutionary tuning, but I'm still puzzled how the heck did they stuff 8 BA drivers into that tiny shell?
beerchug.gif

The iSince is planar magnetic, not electrostatic, but very good points here. More drivers can be good or just "meh" and lower driver count can be done amazingly well too - or not. Tuning is key, along with other aspects like build quality, consistency, customer service, price, etc.

Oct 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #19 of 26

wink.gif
  I'm also very impressed with a tuning of triple driver UERR or a dual drivers from Savant and Pristine-R.  At the same time, the coherency of 14driver Zeus-R (anxiously waiting for Zeus XR Adel) is nothing short of being amazing.  Plus, Audeze iSine open back in-ear electrostats - funky design, but definitely a serious innovation.  Even Westone W80, maybe not a revolutionary tuning, but I'm still puzzled how the heck did they stuff 8 BA drivers into that tiny shell?
beerchug.gif

The iSince is planar magnetic, not electrostatic, but very good points here. More drivers can be good or just "meh" and lower driver count can be done amazingly well too - or not. Tuning is key, along with other aspects like build quality, consistency, customer service, price, etc.

Of course, iSine is Audeze signature planar magnetic.  Sorry, had a brain fart.  I was thinking about Shure KSE1500 electrostatics (another portable innovation) as I was typing about iSine
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #20 of 26

wink.gif
  I'm also very impressed with a tuning of triple driver UERR or a dual drivers from Savant and Pristine-R.  At the same time, the coherency of 14driver Zeus-R (anxiously waiting for Zeus XR Adel) is nothing short of being amazing.  Plus, Audeze iSine open back in-ear planar - funky design, but definitely a serious innovation.  Even Westone W80, maybe not a revolutionary tuning, but I'm still puzzled how the heck did they stuff 8 BA drivers into that tiny shell?
beerchug.gif

I didn't really mean to come off as saying we don't have good tuning at TOTL levels from these Western IEM giants; no doubt in my mind they are extremely well made. I was more reffering to the myriads of IEM makers who are indulging in the driver-wars without paying nearly as much attention to the tuning they give their products.

My current top-2 IEMs (based on my limited experience) the Accutone Pisces BA, a dual-driver hybrid, and the C&M 01'16, a single DD IEM.

But yes, you are correct. I to have no idea as to how Westone performs the magic it regularly does.

Oct 29, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #21 of 26

I'm not the type to go crazy with new things blowing older things out the water.... especially when the K10 remains one of my all time favorites. But this Capricorn is pretty high up there, in K10 territory along with Zeus R, Jomo 6R, and maybe Lear BD4.2. Better than all of those? No, that would be crazy hype. Better than some of them in some ways? Definitely. Still working on specifics though.

New toy syndrome doesn't tend to work for me either - way too much stuff blowing through here to really get excited, unless something is really worth it. And I believe this one is. 

How is it tuned vs the K10 though?

Oct 29, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #22 of 26

How is it tuned vs the K10 though?

Some similarity overall, especially in the killer low-end performance. But the Capricorn tuning up top is a bit more extended, airy, spacious, maybe like what the Katana is shooting for. I haven't heard Katana so no way to know for myself but that's what I imagine based on what I've read. 

Haven't had a lot of listening time this week but I will definitely do more direct comparisons when I get a moment. 

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 26
I've discovered the joys of variable sound based on different tips being used..... this makes it that much more complicated to nail down the character of the Capricorn. Triple flange tips give me a more light weight, vocal oriented presentation, with excellent resolution and fast, tight bass. I really like the sound but not so much the comfort. Need to find some foam tips as that should be a good indicator of how the custom version sounds (give or take). 

Nov 8, 2016 at 3:09 AM Post #24 of 26
So I'm back to the included Large tips again, after wandering all over my collection with many other types. I've decided the included Large gives me the most balanced sound, and the deepest bass rumble (not the most prominent bass, but perhaps the most convincing). This thing is up there with the best when it comes to really exceptional low-end response from a BA design. Very impressive stuff. 

I'm using the Capricorn with the Questyle QP1R, and it sounds phenomenal. Actually reminds me quite a bit of the Empire Ears Zeus R.... mine is back at Empire for an update so I can't compare them directly, but from memory it's definitely in the same sonic family. Eva Cassidy, King Crimson, Marvin Gaye, Elvin Jones, Iced Earth, Genesis - these things sounds great with all sorts of genres. I've got an expensive rig with a B.M.C. UltraDAC balanced out to an HD800 and LCD3 and HE1000 right next to me, and I can't even be bothered to boot up the Aurender server because this little QP1R/Capricorn duo is just so satisfying. 

I keep telling myself to get some comparisons done with my K10, JH13 FP, UM Merlin, and other well-known models so people have a point of reference. But every time I put these in I forget about analytical listening and just start to relax. I guess that's a good sign though, right?

Nov 8, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #25 of 26
  So I'm back to the included Large tips again, after wandering all over my collection with many other types. I've decided the included Large gives me the most balanced sound, and the deepest bass rumble (not the most prominent bass, but perhaps the most convincing). This thing is up there with the best when it comes to really exceptional low-end response from a BA design. Very impressive stuff. 

I'm using the Capricorn with the Questyle QP1R, and it sounds phenomenal. Actually reminds me quite a bit of the Empire Ears Zeus R.... mine is back at Empire for an update so I can't compare them directly, but from memory it's definitely in the same sonic family. Eva Cassidy, King Crimson, Marvin Gaye, Elvin Jones, Iced Earth, Genesis - these things sounds great with all sorts of genres. I've got an expensive rig with a B.M.C. UltraDAC balanced out to an HD800 and LCD3 and HE1000 right next to me, and I can't even be bothered to boot up the Aurender server because this little QP1R/Capricorn duo is just so satisfying. 

I keep telling myself to get some comparisons done with my K10, JH13 FP, UM Merlin, and other well-known models so people have a point of reference. But every time I put these in I forget about analytical listening and just start to relax. I guess that's a good sign though, right?

Exactly how I felt when I was testing/reviewing Zeus-R, and likewise waiting for my XR Adel "refresh" now
wink.gif
  Definitely curious about Capricorn, though pinging NG went into a black hole...

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #26 of 26

Exactly how I felt when I was testing/reviewing Zeus-R, and likewise waiting for my XR Adel "refresh" now
wink.gif
  Definitely curious about Capricorn, though pinging NG went into a black hole...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one....

It sounds so easy, just listen and report what you hear. But it's not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back