NF Audio impression thread.
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #856 of 1,292
Aha! You must’ve purchased the S8Pro. Congrats! :beerchug:

Heard they are detail monsters and have amazing separations.. now I can see why with these graphs.

I am quite surprised by how TSMR-5 performs with a classical music. I have to really concentrate to find any faults. Very unique indeed since I can usually find a boatload of problem with BA only IEMs. Staring at you BA400.
Yeah, I’ve read nothing but glowing reviews of Tansio Mirai IEMs. I guess naturalness of sound, even with all-BAs, is one of their strengths.

Tansio Marai and NF Audio seem like 2 brands that only put out stellar quality products.

With all of the hype EST drivers have been getting lately, it’s important not to overlook quality BAs, especially b/c price:performance is often much better.

Edit: how did that emoji end up in there :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:14 AM Post #857 of 1,292
After @IEMusic suggested it to me a couple of days ago, I've been listening to my NM2 exclusively, including some tip/cable/source rolling, and I will admit that I have gained a new level of enthusiasm for this set. Currently going with the Tanchjim Oxygen copper upgrade cable, some Spiral Dot knockoff tips (I think they came with my BGVP DMG), and through the most powerful and analytical of my source options, and the results are superb.

The imaging is really quite good. Also, while I knew it did a nice job of reproducing vocals, it's also really good at conveying the sound of drum kits, snares have a nice crack, cymbals and high hats have good energy without extra splash or sizzle.

Ugh, now I really want to hear the NM2+.

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #861 of 1,292
Well, I did it, I ordered the NM2+ while it's on a price dip, despite having the NM2 already

sigh
I hope you're not treble sensitive, with a better copper cable and warm source, you're good to go.

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #862 of 1,292
Is the NM2 still worth purchasing next to the NM2+?

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #863 of 1,292
I don't get the sense that it is. Although I'm sure NF Audio would like you to purchase them both, the reviews here suggest that the NM2+ is a straightforward improvement over the NM2. The NM2 seems to be a "discounted model" now, a lesser NM2+ available for less money.

I could be wrong, though, as I haven't heard either yet!

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #864 of 1,292
I don't get the sense that it is. Although I'm sure NF Audio would like you to purchase them both, the reviews here suggest that the NM2+ is a straightforward improvement over the NM2. The NM2 seems to be a "discounted model" now, a lesser NM2+ available for less money.

I could be wrong, though, as I haven't heard either yet!

Yeah I was just wondering about how large the difference is between the two, since the NM2+ is significantly more expensive than the NM2 and yet they share the same name. I also kinda prefer the look of the NM2 somewhat, if I'm honest :)

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #865 of 1,292
Well, if you like the look of the original NM2 more, then that is a legitimate reason on your part to want to buy one. Just because people here are primarily concerned with audio quality, if looks and price are a factor for you, than that alters the equation. Now I guess we wait for people who have experienced both, to tell us if the NM2+'s improvement justifies the price difference and shell change.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #868 of 1,292
Well, I did it, I ordered the NM2+ while it's on a price dip, despite having the NM2 already

sigh
Well, I look forward to hearing your impressions, in particular, a comparison between the NM2+ and the Oxygen.

I was under the impression the NM2+ is more a direct successor to the NA1 in terms of tuning, whereas the NM2 is more W-shaped than neutral-bright.
I will need @Dsnuts, @tgx78, or @jibberish to confirm, but I believe the NM2+ is the direct successor/improvement on the NM2. The NA1 preceded the NA2, NM2, and NM2+.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #869 of 1,292
6A0AFD17-2E22-44F3-AC4E-8BDD97DA24BD.jpeg
8B1A0705-5FD5-4312-B67D-AAD7B88F3A8A.jpeg

I will compare the two. For now here is frequency response for both.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #870 of 1,292
We already know that NM2 and NM2+ are using the same drivers.
I believe I read somewhere that NM2+ uses better pcb board and circuitry to achieve a stable frequency response (don’t really know what that mean is to be honest - maybe they meant better channel matching).
We also know that metal vs plastic and how they interact with internal acoustic resonances.

To me brief a/bing reveals that NM2+ has superior imaging and bit more micro details but overall sound signature is so similar that casual listeners might not even notice the differences.
Also casual listeners might even prefer the NM2’s (depending music genre) more oomph in bass region. This very same oomph in NM2, for me is distracting because it gives cello and double bass less textured sound compared to the NM2+’s impeccably clean and resolving bassline.
With this much control in bass, I suspect NM2+ might be using a better magnetic structure in their driver even, but I can’t confirm this. Soundstage is similar but the NM2+ has slightly more breathing space between instruments. NM2+’s midrange clarity might just be more pronounced because of the bright neutral tuning and slightly blacker background (pcb + housing?).

For me, jump in price was worth it for my classical music library alone, but for others this might easily be a side or even downgrade if they listen to mainly compressed bass heavy music.

Tested both on YY UPOCC and stock balanced eartips.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back