Nexus S + Voodoo Control
Dec 30, 2011 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

kwudude

New Head-Fier
Got a Nexus S a few days ago (for $280 CAD unlocked/new!). Stock sound was horrible.

The first problem was that the lowest volume setting wasn't anywhere near low enough - Using my UE700s my ears hurt from the volume after a minute or so. 
The second problem was massive hissing. Stock android behaviour on lowering volume is to do it digitally instead of through the amp gain, so on the lowest volume setting silence in songs became a pretty obvious hissing noise, and normal quality was degraded. 

Android, however, is for customization. I rooted, flashed with a Voodoo-enabled Kernel, and installed Voodoo Control. 
Voodoo control sets the analog gain/loss on the internal Wolfson DAC (which is pretty much the best cell-phone DAC unit out there right now). 
Minimum volume problem? Solved. Hissing/low quality? More than solved.

There is practically NO noise now. Comparing my Nexus S with my buddy's iPod Touch 4 and my Gen 2 Sansa Clip, and this thing smacks the iPod and at least equals the Clip. 
Bass response is the one thing that really stands out - my UE700s, mostly bass-unoriented IEMs, actually get that "THUMP" being driven by the Nexus.

A great portable source + phone for the price!

Dec 30, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 18
It was a Moblicity special at Rizvi Electronics in Toronto. Some crazy plans too - $17.50 per month for unlimited talk/text/data. 
I really can't believe how good the sound is out of this though. It's a phone!

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 18
I've read some very bad reviews about Moblicity. At least the Nexus will make up for their shortcomings. Did they lock you into a contract?

Dec 30, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Mobilicity doesn't have contracts.  All their plans are month to month.  As for their service might be a little sub par because they are a small player in the Canadian market only running the AWS network. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #6 of 18
Hey! Nexus S user here too! Need some help. Yesterday, I found out my phone has a dark sound signature and ruins the whole soundstage. T_T Does Voodoo Interactive help solve it? Also, how do I activate it? I tried clicking on the app but the icon doesn't appear. D: 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 18
You need a rooted device with Voodoo enabled kernel extensions and Voodoo Control

if you dont want to install a Voodo enabled ROM in your phone, buy Voodoo Control Plus at the Android Market.

Feb 1, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 18
I jacked a headphone in, and the icon is there already! :) I have a voodoo enabled kernel (I think, it came when I flashed ICS into my Nexus S).  Also, I have Voodoo control. And I think now even DT231 sounded better then when I auditioned Westone 4 without Voodoo. So much difference. /facepalm

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 18
Go to voodoo and map volume keys directly to analog amplifier. Tick anti-jitter, hi-fi play, and DAC direct

The end result of all that is minimizing any digital manipulation of the signal - I find it really helps to bring out the extreme frequencies (sub-bass and high treble) and significantly reduce signal noise. I just got a pair of turbine coppers and they sound fantastic with the NS.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #10 of 18
Have done it! I guess it's because yesterday Voodoo wasn't activated. Ohh yes Voodoo. orz

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Check the smart volume setting on your voodoo app.

Indeed nexus s is wonderful. I sold mine, bought the ipod 5.5g (the best one), and ended up missing it too much a I sold that and got the galaxy s fascinate.

Even has line out sound via USB dock!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back